Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which headstamps to avoid for 9MM major?

ilovevtac

I buy fully processed brass from Ammobrass.  I 8,000 so far I've found only one stepped case.  They do sort but they missed that one.  Every one of them worked perfectly.  I don't sort at all.

Edited by zzt

I avoid those listed and put them in a "love it and leave it" pile that gets loaded with light charges and just left behind during winter shooting.  

The headstamps I sort out to load as 9major are PMC, CCI, Speer, Federal, Blazer, Remington and Winchester.  This generally guarantees I will not run into a crimped case that will cause a priming issue that inevitably results in powder spillage.    Everything else goes in my "minor" pile because a smaller powder charge isn't as easily spilled when my press suddently stops from trying to prime a crimped primer pocket.    If you load on a 1050 instead of a 650 like I presently do then swaging will eliminate the issues I sort brass to avoid. 

On 10/14/2019 at 6:34 PM, echotango said:

FM, IMT, Ammoload, Maxxtech and any/all other stepped brass.  FM also makes non-stepped brass washed steel cases. 

These plus the Xtreme steel cases that are also brass washed.

2 hours ago, wolffy1876 said:

Brass with the knurled ring on the outside,  are those an issue?  I've been putting them in the 9 minor bin but curious if I have too.

I load those with no issues. 7.9 WAC

On 10/15/2019 at 11:27 PM, Sandbagger123 said:

well i must be the oddball as when i loaded 9mm major for my open gun i ran everything .  Did not sort it then or now.    Never had a case split in half. i must have loaded at least 25k 9mm major before my gun broke and i stopped loading major.

I agree Sandbagger.  I have loaded and reloaded my major brass an still haven't had an issue.  I am around the same round count as you too.  I always find the guys picking up brass handing me back my marked brass cause they are afraid to run it in their limited guns after it came out of an open gun.  Fine by me that's less brass I have to pick up myself.