Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 and Blue Bullets

Agent #1911

I would like to try Blue Bullets in my unmolested factory barrel. them being .355" diameter bullets, I don't see any issue with OAL but I would like to confirm from those who has been using BB w/ factory throat barrel. definitely sticking with 125 gr. either truncated or RN. what is your preference and why? 

Edited by Agent #1911

I would like to try Blue Bullets in my unmolested factory barrel. them being .355" diameter bullets, I don't see any issue with OAL but I would like to confirm from those who has been using BB w/ factory throat barrel. definitely sticking with 125 gr. either truncated or RN. what is your preference and why? 

Go with the TC not Round nose or you will have an issue with OAL. I use the 125 Grain BB as well and just order another 7200 of them. I use 125 TC OAL is 1.13. Accuracy is great and very little lead fouling. Also the TC I found to be more accurate over the RN.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, JayTac556 said:

Go with the TC not Round nose or you will have an issue with OAL. I use the 125 Grain BB as well and just order another 7200 of them. I use 125 TC OAL is 1.13. Accuracy is great and very little lead fouling. Also the TC I found to be more accurate over the RN.

Did the lead build up affect accuracy at all? Thanks. 

Did the lead build up affect accuracy at all? Thanks. 
Very little to no lead build up due to the coating. They are not like shooting straight lead bullets. They are similar to shooting plated bullets.

I tested over a dozen different types of 9mm bullets with both of my Stock II’s when I started reloading early last year. I haven’t modified my barrel either.

For me, I found that I started to have feed issues if my OAL goes below 1.09”. With that said, for Blue Bullet specifically I found that the 125 RN and 147 RN wouldn’t work well in my barrel (they work great in some of my other pistols).

I also validated that I could use 125 TC, 135 TC and 147 FP in my Stock II.

Eventually I moved to Everglades 147 RN and I use those exclusively now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to load at 1.06 with the 125 RN Blue Bullets. They ran fine at that length in the Tanfo but would nose dive in some guns. I ended up sending both barrels to Patriot Defense to have them reamed. That being said, the Blue Bullets don't lead at all and the barrel was pretty clean even with only cleaning every 2k. 

4 hours ago, Agent #1911 said:

Sounds like the truncated cone profile is the way to go for factory spec barrels. Any decrease in velocity after a throating job?

Unless after having it reamed you increase the cartridge OAL a lot but keep the charge weight the same, then yes, slight decrease in velocity.

I just switched from BB and SNS 147gr FP to 135gr TC's

The feel of the 135gr TC's are better, faster tracking on the front sight and not as sluggish.

I havent done any chrono testing on the 135's, however im runnig 3.4 to 3.5 grains of Alliant Sport Pistol at a OAL of  1.140~1.145* I have a older model stock 2 which seems to let me load a little longer than the new* and a Crimp around .378

This is the Load data of the other 147's i use:

Alliant Sport Pistol and Tanfoglio Stock 2 - 4.5inch barrel polygonal

SNS 147gr FP- Avg weight 147.7gr- OAL 1.145~1.150- Crimp .376- mixed range brass- fed spp- 5 shots each ladder

70 degrees - pro chrono 10ft

High 866 Low 831

Avg 849              PF 125~

Ex. S. 35

S.D. 13

High 877 Low 817 *One Bad round low FPS

Avg 848              PF 125~128*

Ex. S. 60

S.D. 27

High 900 Low 863

Avg 880               PF 129~130

Ex.S. 37

S.D. 14

High 922 Low 888

Avg 909                PF 134~

Ex.S. 34

S.D. 13

High 943 Low 903

Avg 930                 PF 137~

Ex.S. 40

S.D. 17

Blue Bullet 147gr FP- Avg weight 148.6gr- OAL 1.135~1.140- Crimp .376- mixed range brass- fed spp- 5 shots each ladder

70 degrees  - pro chrono 10ft 

High 896 Low 853

Avg 870              PF 129~

Ex. S. 43

S.D. 15

High 891 Low 860 

Avg 877              PF 130~

Ex. S. 31

S.D. 12

High 907 Low 880

Avg 896               PF 133~

Ex.S. 27

S.D. 11

High 922 Low 903

Avg 913                PF 135~

Ex.S. 19

S.D. 8

High 945 Low 901

Avg 923                 PF 137~

Ex.S. 44

S.D. 16

Edited by xxl7evenlxx

16 hours ago, Agent #1911 said:

Sounds like the truncated cone profile is the way to go for factory spec barrels. Any decrease in velocity after a throating job?

I lost about 2-3 PF after but I think it's worth it to be able to run any ammo. 

12 hours ago, xxl7evenlxx said:

I just switched from BB and SNS 147gr FP to 135gr TC's

The feel of the 135gr TC's are better, faster tracking on the front sight and not as sluggish.

I havent done any chrono testing on the 135's, however im runnig 3.4 to 3.5 grains of Alliant Sport Pistol at a OAL of  1.140~1.145* I have a older model stock 2 which seems to let me load a little longer than the new* and a Crimp around .358

wow that is a heavy crimp. brass is almost flush with the bullet. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 7:48 AM, JohnStewart said:

I tested over a dozen different types of 9mm bullets with both of my Stock II’s when I started reloading early last year. I haven’t modified my barrel either.

Eventually I moved to Everglades 147 RN and I use those exclusively now.

Is there something specific about the Everglades 147 RN that kept you using those? 

13 hours ago, rsn_tx said:

Is there something specific about the Everglades 147 RN that kept you using those? 

For me, it was simply a matter of fact that they worked well, so I stuck with them.

The backstory.. I decided that I wanted 147 and ideally 147 RN bullets.   That eliminated Blue Bullets for me, so then I tested Xtreme (and also Berry) and found that the Xtreme 147 RN and 124 RN worked well in my gun, but the Xtreme 124 FP did not.  Since I wanted 147 RN, I started using Xtreme and even continued to use them for a while after they declared Chapter 11 early last year.  However, their already marginal customer service fell even further and then I started finding 124 bullets intermixed in my boxes of 147 bullets, from the factory.  That was the last straw for me.  Unfortunately I didn't catch that fact until after I had already loaded over 1,000 of what I thought were 147's but were a combination of 124's and 147's (thankfully it wasn't the other way around, so I just had a number of powder puff rounds and not overcharged rounds).  I insisted on getting a full refund for the thousands I had stockpiled.  At that point, I decided to never use Xtreme again (especially when I heard from numerous people who had experienced the same issue)!

I had a friend who was using Everglades, so I tried a couple dozen of his 147's and they worked quite well.  I made an order and found their customer service to be great, and their delivery time frame was really fast (especially  comparing to the multi-month delays I was always dealing with through Xtreme), so I stuck with them.  Their product works, prices are good and both service & delivery were great.  For me, that was enough to select them and start stockpiling thousands of those bullets.  

My impression is that there are likely many other bullet manufacturers out there who I would also be happy using, but given that I'm happy with Everglades I found no need to keep searching.  I was ready to start spending more time loading en masse instead of continuing to test / chrono various loads.

I had my Stock II chamber reamed by Bevin Grams.  I now load 147 round nose Blue Bullets at 1.160 without issue. 3.3 grains of Titegroup or N320 and I am getting superb accuracy, like 1 inch groups at 20 yards. Better than most other bullets I have tried (115, 124 coated and jacketed and 135 Blues).  Super soft shooting, cleans up easy.