Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Acc-U-Rails or weld the frame rails?

Big Guy

26 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

Which is the better option?

Any one has experience with either of them?

I have an open gun with accurails,  and my backup open gun does not,  but was fitted in a more traditional manner.  I don't see any difference in accuracy or reliability.  

I wouldn't recommend accurails simply because they fall out when the pistol is field stripped for cleaning. Minor inconvience,  I know. And if you need them replaced,  there's only one guy that does it, where any good pistolsmith can retighten slide to frame fit. I think accurails are a solution to a nonexistent problem for our game. 

Bullseye may be a different story. 

I know we don't have to have bullseye accuracy for  our game, but my gun is loose (25 yds groups suck).  I'll probably will be looking to replace it sometime next year, but for know, I'm looking for a "temporary" solution.

22 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Are you sure it's the slide to frame fit is causing your problems? I have some loose guns that are plenty accurate for USPSA.

Exactly.  Many variables that can cause accuracy to suck at 25 yards.

Hello: I would check your link and slide stop to see if there is much wear on them. The links will get the holes wearing in an oval shape and will not lockup as they once did. I am not a fan of the Accurails since once it is done you can't fit another slide to the frame without having it Accurailed also. The rails are a spring type tension and when you add a little dirt they tend to tighten up. Good for bullseye type shooting where there is not much dust thrown up by you running around. I have one 9mm open pistol with over 60,000 rounds and it is still accurate with a loose frame to slide fit. It locks up the same every time. Lastly check your barrel for wear usually on the top about 1" in. Thanks, Eric

18 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I would check your link and slide stop to see if there is much wear on them. The links will get the holes wearing in an oval shape and will not lockup as they once did. I am not a fan of the Accurails since once it is done you can't fit another slide to the frame without having it Accurailed also. The rails are a spring type tension and when you add a little dirt they tend to tighten up. Good for bullseye type shooting where there is not much dust thrown up by you running around. I have one 9mm open pistol with over 60,000 rounds and it is still accurate with a loose frame to slide fit. It locks up the same every time. Lastly check your barrel for wear usually on the top about 1" in. Thanks, Eric

The barrel lock up should come from the lower barrel feet contacting the slide stop pin. The barrel links only purpose is to pull the barrel down out of lock up. 

Maybe the op needs a new barrel or a oversized slide stop pin.

I have two open guns with Acc-u-rails, both work really well. Improve accuracy - no idea they have always had them. Both of these guns were built in 1995, have hundreds of thousands of rounds (new barrels in both) and are still as tight as when new. I've never broken a rail but have spares just in case. When stripping/cleaning I take them out, really no big deal to put them back in. I recommend them unless it voids a warranty. Doug from Acc-u-rails  has always been easy to work with.

I had a Limcat that was accurailed and I don’t know if it was just that specific gun or not but it was lights out more accurate than the other 1911/2011 guns I had at the time. Very noticeable. Ended up selling it for one reason or another and almost bought it back due to the accuracy. 

7 hours ago, Big Guy said:

I know we don't have to have bullseye accuracy for  our game, but my gun is loose (25 yds groups suck).  I'll probably will be looking to replace it sometime next year, but for know, I'm looking for a "temporary" solution.

You've already gotten the "there are many things that can cause this problem" so I'll skip that part.  

Depending on where the slide is loose, you can squeeze it in a vice and tighten it up laterally.  A last resort type solution.

I will second another option given above and that is to fit up an oversized (0.203") slide stop.  A loose slide is irrelevant if the gun locks up tight and consistent.

bad or erratic grouping at 25yd could also be bullets hitting the comp, I have had it happen and a friends build recently did the same. Take a very close look at the comp it can be as simple as carbon build up in the hole through the baffles to the comp shifting a few thousands on the barrel, on one gun I could see a tiny copper mark on one baffle on another you could just make out the shape of the rifling in the carbon. 

in both cases 25yd groups had opened up to about 6" nothing dramatic no key holing or anything just the accuracy was not there.

Another one for slide to frame fit isn’t that important for accuracy. I had a pistol that I checked before welding the frame rails, there was a total of .012 of play in the slide to frame, when I put the gun in a vice and a pin in the barrel, it returned within .001 every time. The barrel was fit perfect but the slide to frame didn’t effect accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk