Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hottest commercially avail 9mm ammo for an open gun

chgofirefighter

I've been told that Sellier & Bellot ammo runs pretty hot?  Almost 1300 fps 115gr which is not bad to shoot for an open gun...  Until of course I get my press all setup and ready to go in the meantime I need ammo like asap.  Yes, I'm aware or Everglades, Atlanta Arms, etc etc...  and finally, it'll be shooting minor for the time being until things are settled it so whats the verdict?   

Thanks~ 

I'd stay away from Federal Syntech.  A buddy uses them and he gets an average of one squib every other match. Also, it is not a good idea to shoot poly coated or jacketed bullets in an Open gun.  They lead up the comp.  You should only use heavy copper platted or JHPs.

31 minutes ago, zzt said:

I'd stay away from Federal Syntech.  A buddy uses them and he gets an average of one squib every other match. 

I wondered if the heavy demand would eventually come back to bite them. 

12 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Their website is not working or up~ 

That's strange, I just checked and it seemed to be working. but you could also email them info@3riversammo.com or call 541-291-9814. Don I am sure would be happy to help you out.

21 hours ago, L3324temp said:

124g Nato ammo seems quite stout. I have never chrono’d it but it recoils noticeably harder than your average 9mm ammo (not scientific, I know).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason my M&P 2.0 9MM 5" shoots it's best groups with the Winchester 9MM NATO 124 grain FMJ ammo.  I, or course, need to find something similar to reload for it to see if I can maintain those groups with ammo I know I can always get.  I looked up the ballistics info on the Winchester website and that ammo is up around 1200 fps muzzle velocity.  Few loadings in the reloading manuals show that kind of velocity for a 124 grain bullet.

And yes, that ammo does seem to have more recoil than the 115 grain and 147 grain hollow points I've shot through that pistol.

I used some of the Everglades 124 major ammo when I first started loading 9mm major.  It runs fine at 173PF, but it did not work the comp as well as my 115 load with a much slower powder.  I'd use it again in a heartbeat if I was running low on my reloads, or couldn't keep up.

I shot a lot of S&B in the past, bought cases from TargetSports.  It is a little on the warm side.  Also cheap, pretty clean, and accurate.  Only issue is harder primers and potential light strikes with some guns, mainly tuned striker guns.  It would probably be great in a gun with a small comp.