Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
rock751

Nice guns dont make better shooters

On 10/25/2019 at 6:09 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

I think there is a minimum quality that those don't hit. 

I would think Glock, M&P, etc would be on the minimum quality side and accessories side of thing.

I did my Black Badge course (intro course required to get into IPSC in Canada) with a Norinco NP22, a Chinese Sig P226 clone. That thing had 16 pound DA trigger. I finished the first match second last, and with a bloody blister on the trigger finger ;)

Got a CZ very soon afterwards.

This is very true but the reason why I got my sweet 2011 is this. 
1. Now I have zero excuse that I can tell myself why I suck because my gear is top notch. 
2. Instead of buying and selling guns at a loss to constantly upgrade, just buy once and cry once. 

I saw an immediate improvement when I switched from a Glock - with nearly every upgrade available.  AND I was the die-hard, "it's the shooter not the gun" guy . I shot a Glock for years.
My son got my 2011 finished about 6pm the night before a major, I took it out to test it, shot 2 mags, never looked back.
grip angle, trigger, weight, just worked together better for me.

BUT - keep shooting your Glock it won't slow you down for a while, maybe never.

Absolutely true that a more expensive gun won't give the proportional improvement in results.

I started with a Glock 35, then went to an STI Edge and now shoot a 2011 custom gun - did my scores climb by as much as I spent? Nope, but the difference was still measurable and, more importantly, shooting my custom 2011 feels like shaking God's hand and puts a big smile on my face.

Worth it for the scores? No. Worth it for the warm, fuzzy feeling inside? Hell, yes! 

Buy a nice custom gun.  You'll hold it while you watch tv.  You'll probably dry fire it more often.  Maybe even productive dry fire sessions.  Then you might get better.  Even if you don't, you'll still have a nice custom gun!

A new gun just makes you feel good! Just received this Honcho a few days ago.

07A9AFBC-8788-4419-8CF1-44A4CC32CA51_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.db239c5d855c319657d85ae9e535cd88.jpeg

I've always disliked that "Indian/Arrow" analogy.

Pick two Indians with the same skill set. Give one of them a set of crappy arrows, and he won't do as well as the other guy.

It's the Indian and the arrow.

Of course, dropping $2k-3k on a new gun won't make you jump from C class to A class. It's not that simple

But there are decided advantages to be had in upgrading guns. For many shooters, a heavier gun is going to be a bonus. With some guns (1911s for example), you might pay more for increased reliability - which can translate to better match scores.

That said, for some people - a Glock might be all they need. Bob Vogel has certainly done well with the platform.

And there are a lot of bad shooters running around with expensive rigs. Beating them with a Glock doesn't mean expensive guns have no value.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:06 PM, tbarker13 said:

I've always disliked that "Indian/Arrow" analogy.

Pick two Indians with the same skill set. Give one of them a set of crappy arrows, and he won't do as well as the other guy.

It's the Indian and the arrow.

Of course, dropping $2k-3k on a new gun won't make you jump from C class to A class. It's not that simple

But there are decided advantages to be had in upgrading guns. For many shooters, a heavier gun is going to be a bonus. With some guns (1911s for example), you might pay more for increased reliability - which can translate to better match scores.

That said, for some people - a Glock might be all they need. Bob Vogel has certainly done well with the platform.

And there are a lot of bad shooters running around with expensive rigs. Beating them with a Glock doesn't mean expensive guns have no value.

Shane coley cleans up in limited and he shoots a “Glock” 

Glocks are VERY shootable and I see guys do very well with them.

I have used a Glock for Limited, and have "cleaned up" at a very low level (club practice matches).   When a good 2011 shooter (A class or above) is around, I am put in my place, but it's more the shooter that's beating me than the gun.   I was tickled when I first experienced how trouble free and easy to shoot mine is in competition.  I use relatively inexpensive Magpul mags with +5 extensions; they are ultra reliable.

I started with a factory gun . Then I got a custom built limited . The custom built is a lot more fun to shoot .  

I have to say, after shooting an open major sig, i lost a bit of respect...  ;)

It was almost like videogaming with a .22, but louder

I like my Glock 35. It shoots better then i do. I will eventually move to open and get a nice gun. In the mean time, time/money can be better suited to dry fire and range days. Draw speed, transitions, getting in and out of shooting positions, getting the gun up faster, stage planning.

new gun wont help with alot of that.