Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best ways to lube cases

Madmax1980

I've used a plastic tupperware type tube aprox 10x12 for some time, but tried the plastic bag method since I see so many folks using it.  But it seemed like I was getting more lube inside the cases than I was with the other method, so switched back to the flat tray method.

How do you clean the brass? I tumble with ss pins dawn and lemishine. Once its done (starting this past weekend) rinse and seperate out the pins and rerun the brass for 20 minutes with warm water and armor-all wash and wax(premium pearlescent one). It leaves a nice finish on the cases after they dry, plenty for carbide pistol dies. Now I have to go back and do this for 30k pistol cases or so.  

On 10/13/2019 at 2:35 PM, Madmax1980 said:

Hi, guys. I’m new to reloading and have a question. What are some of the ways that you lube your case’s. Right now I put a couple handfuls into a plastic container and just spray case lube in, put a lid on and roll them around. I feel like that when I spray it in a lot goes inside the cases. And I can’t do very many at a time either. 

Thanks in advance for your ideas. 

this process works great, I like one shot but some people like the custom alcohol/lanolin blend.  

pistol i use one shot, dont care if it makes it inside, hasnt caused me any issues yet. toss my brass into my case feeder, while its spinning spray some one shot in there. let it mix for a few minutes with the feeder door shut then go to town.

rifle i use the lanolin and alcohol mixture. Gallon bag, few sprays then resize. sizing and decapping are done separately from the loading process and include a cleaning between so not worried about lube inside.

6 hours ago, m700 said:

Once its done (starting this past weekend) rinse and seperate out the pins and rerun the brass for 20 minutes with warm water and armor-all wash and wax(premium pearlescent one). It leaves a nice finish on the cases after they dry, plenty for carbide pistol dies. 

I tried this based on someone's recommendation here, using that exact product as well as a couple others. It's not even close to being the same as lubing brass before sizing. In fact there's barely any difference at all from just clean dry brass. 

Actual lube on the cases, applied in a bag as many others do, is on a whole different level than any of this car wash/wax stuff. 

I tried this based on someone's recommendation here, using that exact product as well as a couple others. It's not even close to being the same as lubing brass before sizing. In fact there's barely any difference at all from just clean dry brass. 

Actual lube on the cases, applied in a bag as many others do, is on a whole different level than any of this car wash/wax stuff. 
The wash/wax is ideal for people who don't lube using carbide. Coming of a vibratory tumbler with some kind of polish the cases are pretty slick and will function in carbide dies without additional lube for two reasons, the polish and the carbon. If you wet tumble with ss the carbon goes away and there is 0 natural lube so it becomes pretty much necessity to lube. If you wash/wax your back to being able to function. I do understand lubing is definitely better for you,the press,the dies,and the case. But it's definitely cleaner if you don't lube.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, m700 said:

The wash/wax is ideal for people who don't lube using carbide. Coming of a vibratory tumbler with some kind of polish the cases are pretty slick and will function in carbide dies without additional lube for two reasons, the polish and the carbon. If you wet tumble with ss the carbon goes away and there is 0 natural lube so it becomes pretty much necessity to lube. If you wash/wax your back to being able to function. I do understand lubing is definitely better for you,the press,the dies,and the case. But it's definitely cleaner if you don't lube.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Most of us talking about lubing cases here are using carbide dies as well. It just makes the process a lot easier.

As you pointed out, there are a lot of reasons to avoid excessive cleaning with SS pins, and I don't do that. 

I wet tumble with SS pins. To keep the cases from sticking in the powder drop die I use some Hornady One shot. I put some brass in a bucket, spray the kkne shot, and put on a lid for a bit. A few are still sticky but much easier. Prefer the wet tumbling to keep lead down when reloading.