Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best ways to lube cases

Madmax1980

Hi, guys. I’m new to reloading and have a question. What are some of the ways that you lube your case’s. Right now I put a couple handfuls into a plastic container and just spray case lube in, put a lid on and roll them around. I feel like that when I spray it in a lot goes inside the cases. And I can’t do very many at a time either. 

Thanks in advance for your ideas. 

I usually spray Dillon case lube inside a gallon size ziploc bag a couple of times, dump the cases inside and shake it a few times to lube the outside of the cases. Take them out of the ziploc bag, leave them out a few minutes to let the alcohol evaporate and then dump them into my case feeder and start reloading.

19 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

Hornady one-shot, a couple sprays into a ziplock baggie, then add brass, shake and "massage" the brass in the bag, perfect! Just enough lubrication, and no lube inside the cases

This but I find lanolin and alcohol to be even better.. 

I make my case lube liquid lanolin and alcohol. Best way to make it use 1 oz of lanolin and 1 12oz bottle of HEET ( red bottle). Mix it in a spray bottle and I put the cases in a cheap $ store plastic container and spray them then I put the lib on and roll and shake them. Take the lid off for a couple minutes so the alcohol can evaporate and you are ready.

I lube mine while they are tumbling.

I squirt  a mix of Nu Finish paste car wax and mineral spirits (25%/75%) into the tumbling media, running for 15 - 20 mins and then add the brass.  Once cleaned, they are ready for loading and size easier.

On 10/13/2019 at 5:22 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Spray the lube onto the bottom of your plastic container in a thin eve coating.

Dump cases in.

Install lid.

Shake.

Dump into casefeeder.

Keeps it on the OUTSIDE of your cases!

Best way, I use a empty 1lbs jug of powder bottle. Cut the top off, Spray in, Dump cases, Shake, then right into the case feeder

• 2 weeks later...

I lay cleaned cases out on a towel. Knock them all on their sides and spray One Shot over them. I then pick up the towel by the ends/corners and roll all the ammo around for a bit. Lay  it out and do the process again. Probably about 1500 rounds at a time. Seems to be working. 

On 10/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Spray the lube onto the bottom of your plastic container in a thin eve coating.

Dump cases in.

Install lid.

Shake.

Dump into casefeeder.

Keeps it on the OUTSIDE of your cases!

This should be a best practice. Don't put lube directly on the case use the container to distribute it and it won't end up inside the case. I found using a plastic coffee can with some flat sides works well as the brass won't just slide down the side as I basically tumble it by holding each end and spinning it. 

On 10/14/2019 at 4:11 AM, RePete said:

I lube mine while they are tumbling.

I squirt  a mix of Nu Finish paste car wax and mineral spirits (25%/75%) into the tumbling media, running for 15 - 20 mins and then add the brass.  Once cleaned, they are ready for loading and size easier.

I have done the same thing in my tumbler, but it's not remotely the same effect as applying case lube before loading.

I lube cases in a large ziploc bag as mentioned above, for both rifle and pistol. I re-use the same bag over and over so it's always got some lube in it, and when I add a bit I spray it on the side of the bag rather than directly on the cases. No issues with excess lube inside the cases that way. I do prefer to have an aerosol mist floating around in the bag, since a tiny amount of lube in the case necks from that helps prevent expander ball sticking. It does not affect performance of the loaded ammo at all. 

Edited by Yondering

On 10/24/2019 at 4:26 PM, Yondering said:

I have done the same thing in my tumbler, but it's not remotely the same effect as applying case lube before loading.

I lube cases in a large ziploc bag as mentioned above, for both rifle and pistol. I re-use the same bag over and over so it's always got some lube in it, and when I add a bit I spray it on the side of the bag rather than directly on the cases. No issues with excess lube inside the cases that way. I do prefer to have an aerosol mist floating around in the bag, since a tiny amount of lube in the case necks from that helps prevent expander ball sticking. It does not affect performance of the loaded ammo at all. 

Maybe add a little more to the tumbling media.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:35 PM, Madmax1980 said:

Hi, guys. I’m new to reloading and have a question. What are some of the ways that you lube your case’s. Right now I put a couple handfuls into a plastic container and just spray case lube in, put a lid on and roll them around. I feel like that when I spray it in a lot goes inside the cases. And I can’t do very many at a time either. 

Thanks in advance for your ideas. 

I just spray some dillon lube into a 1 gal ziplock back, add the cases i want lubed, shake it a bit and done and done...i use to spray it on, never had any issues with it getting in the cases and causing a problem... I'm sure if you flooded a case it might but a little spray in my experience never hurt my reloads... good luck and enjoy the process of   reloading.  remember, keep it simple.....what kind of cases are you lubing? handgun? i quit using lube as i don't think it is req when using good dies like dillon carbide dies.  it does make it a much smother process but i also had to roll them around in a towel after loading to get the case lube off to case gauge... just another step i suppose