Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 action rougher

SelfPeace

Hello. I just switched out the safety lever on my shadow 2 and have noticed the slide to have more friction when moving it back and forth, by hand. 

So, here’s a little breakdown of what happened:

I watched several different videos on YouTube and followed exactly what I saw. However, with the final push in of the lever, where a tiny tab has to be pulled back towards the hammer, I had to use a rubber mallet to get the lever to go in the rest of the way. Even with an assistant who was pulling the tab back, I tried numerous times, by hand, but could not get the lever to slide in effortlessly like in the videos. I did move the spring contacting the lever out of the way, FYI. 

So, when I finally got the lever in all the way, the slide would not go all the way like something was blocking it. It looked like something in the sear cage assembly was not lined up properly. So, I pushed out the lever again and also removed the sear  cage. I reassembled it once more and I did have to use the mallet again for the final push but the lever did go in smoother this time around. 

Slide goes all the way in now. However, I noticed that there is more friction now that wasn’t there before. It doesn’t feel like anything “bad” is happening but definitely more rubbing something that wasn’t there before. 

Is this normal?

I kept the original lever on the right side and did not use the one that was paired with the extended safety lever. Not sure if this matters. 

Thank you very much!

3 hours ago, George16 said:

That’s definitely not normal. I didn’t have to use a rubber mallet to put everything back in when installing the wider safety. 

use the right side part that came paired with the extended safety lever. 

Thank you for your response! I will try that

I swapped the safety (both sides)  out for a wide one and the forst 2 three times they were very tight.

I had to tap the left side in with a hammer (tap not smack)

Is the slide feels heavier is that because of mechanical drag or maybe now you grip the slide at the front instead of the rear??

Check if you bent any parts during the tapping.

7 hours ago, Hansb57 said:

I swapped the safety (both sides)  out for a wide one and the forst 2 three times they were very tight.

I had to tap the left side in with a hammer (tap not smack)

Is the slide feels heavier is that because of mechanical drag or maybe now you grip the slide at the front instead of the rear??

Check if you bent any parts during the tapping.

Definitely not grip-related. I’m going to break it down again and check. 

Thank you for your time. 

It sounds like some sort of misalignment of the sear cage when installing the safety.  Like the ejector or something rubbing the slide.  Maybe the spring for the detent lever is jamming up the cage.

image.thumb.png.7534ed3b681ad537b6cd67cfdf6653ff.png

Or.....when you install the safety lever shaft, are you remembering to lift the leg off the sear pin to clear the shaft, and then snap back into its detent on the shaft?

Or (2)...it kind of sounds like it's the wrong safety lever  for  like a regular CZ75/SP01 which has a narrower frame.

Edited by MoRivera

Difficulty fitting the safety with mismatched sides is one thing, the slide dragging on something not obvious is another.  Seems to me that once the safety set is installed, no matter how snug the fit in the right side lever(mismatched), the sear cage should then be aligned.  In my experience, anything other than a moderate press to snap the parts together meant the detent plunger was not retracted.  This could give you the impression that the interference was the fit of the shaft into the right side lever, when in fact the plunger was interfering.  Excessive force is never required and may have jarred it loose.  Between dirt and grease you may not even see if its in its track properly, tiny part. BTW only the left side uses a spring, not the right.  Tiny as well, and the safety works better (less likely to accidentally activate) with a stiffer one.

Are you seating the rear of the sear cage in correctly?  It can be a bit ambiguous at first until you get a feel for it, it usually needs to be pressed down as you're getting the safety lever back in.  As GMP pointed out, nothing should require being forced in.

Edited by MoRivera