Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working through shooter elbow

Merldizzle

Hello, 

recently I took time off from shooting (reluctantly) to allow my wrist and elbow to recover from shooter’s elbow. I was overtraining doing dry fire two a days and I think that sent my body into this mayhem. It’s my own fault but it’s still a bummer to lose out on some trigger time. Lately I’ve been doing the strength training exercises to prevent future issues. Sure does mess with your mind though when you experience pain doing something you love.

• 2 years later...

I am smack dab in the middle of the same thing, for the same reasons. Did you lay right off of dryfire, and if so, how long? Currently on anti-inflammatories and physio, first week of treatment, but after smashing dryfire hard for four month dailies, I am somewhat disappointed, one could say.........

• 2 weeks later...

Consider ditching thumb-rests for a while if you have one too.  I'd been shooting for 20 years without problems until I made some thumb-rests for my Open guns and then Shooters Elbow popped up on that side.   Maybe a coincidence, but looking at it, that rest makes a straight line for shock straight from the thumb to the elbow.

Following Chad's advise and taking them off is getting it fixed up.

• 4 weeks later...

I had it years back, took a LONG time to go away.

Fortunately I'm a lefty (right eye dominant), but always shot right handed and took this time to move 100% of my shooting to the left arm. I got a few lefty holsters, an extra long slide stop (no way to sling shot it, my right hand couldn't do it) and I did a good job getting my "weak hand" up to snuff to nearly equal my right hand side which is actually my weak side.  Screwy huh? 🙂

I followed Chad’s advice and program consistently for about two years and it helped a lot. Now I on;y do the exercises when I start to feel it flair up. Something else that my doctor recommended that helped, surprisingly, is wearing a wrist brace that immobilizes my wrist when I sleep. Something about keeping the tendons immobilized so that the inflammation subsides.

I probably posted it already, but if you run a thumbrest (and it's your weak-side elbow that's in pain), take that thing off and see if it helps.  In my case it made a direct pathway for shock from gun to elbow.