Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbide Reamer

EliCustom

Anybody know of place to get 9mm carbide reamers?

The salt bath nitriding is a good process but doing any king of chamber work is a real problem. It seems to be getting so common you would think carbide reamers would be easy to get but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks in advance 

PT&G says 'carbide reamers are available for production runs'. What does that mean?

Do I make a production run or do they make a production run. Considering PT&G makes a production run on everything, how do I make a production run?

Or is it something like a group buy is needed for them to make them? 

How about 'carbide reamers are special order'?  But there's no place in the options box to order carbide. Guess I'll have to call them to get it straightened out

Why aren't you doing the reaming before nitriding?  I always put some rounds down range to test and make sure everything is set up correctly before blasting and finishing.  Then I polish the chamber after finishing.  As for carbide reamers, I don't think you're going to find any.  Most likely the PTG statements means they can make them if you want to buy a certain quantity, not just one.  But it doesn't hurt to ask.  Manson's catalog doesn't mention carbide reamers, nor does Clymer's.  But Clymer's are a Cobalt mix, so that's probably your best off-the-shelf option.

Call PTG, they usually have some in stock, if not they can make them and you don't need to place a huge order, although lead times can be long and they'll cost 3x what a HSS reamer does.

What they mean is carbide production reamers are mostly made to maximum-SAAMI chamber specifications so a manufacturer can run as many barrels as possible before the reamer wears down below minimum size.

I have a small custom gun shop and some customers want to suppress their 9mm pistol or AR. The 147gr is usually subsonic but the chamber can have a leade problem 

I just did some aftermarket CZ barrels that had the nitride process at the factory. This is strange as the barrels needed to be fitted and were short chambered a bit.

It's also strange why some 9mm AR barrels would be nitrided. Chamfering the chamber is no problem but leade certainly can be

I have a carbide reamer I had made through a tool & die maker that @1911luvr found. I had to take .001” off of the pilot with a diamond lap to make it work for polygonally-rifled barrels in Tanfoglios, CZP10s, G5 Glocks... and my Walthers.

I’ve cut quite a few barrels for guys with these guns along with my CMMG Guard PCC, which all feature annoyingly short chambers. 

Tungsten Carbide reamers should be more common.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

16 hours ago, aandabooks said:

Brownells carries them.  That is where I bought mine from a couple years ago.

They’re highspeed steel (HSS) and they are softer than a nitrided or hardened barrel.

A Manson or Clymer will barely scratch the blackened finish off before the flutes are dull.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Most tool and cutter grinding shops should be able to make a leade reamer since it's just a piloted taper.  Chamber reamers are a bit tougher.   If you're in a medium-to-large city, there's a good chance there's one there, but you may have to ask a machine shop who sharpens their cutters to find them. 

2 hours ago, EliCustom said:

A tool and cutter maker can make one for me if I provide the chamber drawings? If so, I'll call Manson and see if I can get the drawings from them. 

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.3-CFP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

Page 27

Free PDF of the actual specs (thank you SAAMI!).

If you want extended leade, you need to tweak the drawing somewhat.