Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading - 9mm for 70lb Son

JonHegreness

Do you shoot a 9mm with a Compensator?   I am very new to reloading and would appreciate some help on round design.  

What bullet weight/brand/type and powder weight/brand/type would you recommend for a 9mm load in a 5" barrel with a 5 port compensator FOR A 70 Pound Kid?  Do we go major for more gas?  Do we go powder puff with some 85 grain plinker? 

This past summer my Son has been experimenting with different configurations of an M&P 2.0 9L.  Currently we have an Apex Competition barrel with an SJC 5 Port Compensator.  The gun runs really well and will handle Major loads.  I can adjust recoil spring strengths and setup the pistol for the round made.  My Son is shooting in local pistol competitions that closely resemble small scale USPSA Matches and really soon we will be joining our local USPSA League.  We have ran 170 power factor 124 loads and he handles the recoil OK.  We have ran larger 147 and 150 at lighter charges and he handles the recoil OK.  We have just purchased a Dillon reloader and are going to start making rounds for his pistol and compensator.  

I want to create a good round for him to best minimize or control the recoil for him.  Simply, I want to run the gun fast and keep it as flat as possible.  I have found that he handles the snappier 115 rounds better than he handles the flatter 150 rounds.  The flat kick of the bigger rounds he can handle, but with his small frame he doesn't handle it as well.  One thing I have noticed is that the gun runs slower and slower as I decrease power.  We tried some 100 grain subsonic and could get the gun to run with light recoil springs, but the slide was supper slow.  Off the shelf 115 grain 1100 FPS run slow as well, and this is due to the compensator.  

I have the press setup pretty well.....I think.  We are spitting out pretty consistent 1.150 OAL with a .377 case.  So far we have only test fired 250 rounds and we have not had any sort of round, feed or cycle issues.  We loaded 6.0 AutoComp and a Berry's Round Nose Hollow Base and got a fairly consistent 1,330 FPS +/- 50FPS (we were also dialing in the reloader and getting some 5.8 and 6.2 loads in the process).  

Thank you for your help.  

Does he have to make major PF?  I understand that in order to take advantage of major scoring he would, but is there some compelling reason why he has to?  In my opinion I would find a minor load that works and just let him shoot.  As he continues to mature then you can look at Major but no sense in beating him or the gun up (as I'm sure there will be plenty of folks to poo-poo 9 Major out of a Polymer gun) if there is no benefit.

1 hour ago, cjmill87 said:

Does he have to make major PF?  I understand that in order to take advantage of major scoring he would, but is there some compelling reason why he has to?  In my opinion I would find a minor load that works and just let him shoot.  As he continues to mature then you can look at Major but no sense in beating him or the gun up (as I'm sure there If we can build a round that shoots well, runs the gun fast and consistent, I am not at all concerned about the power factor at the moment.  will be plenty of folks to poo-poo 9 Major out of a Polymer gun) if there is no benefit.

If we can build a round that shoots well, runs the gun fast and consistent, I am not at all concerned about the power factor at the moment.  

I don't see any direct benefit in bringing him into a Major Power Factor in terms of scoring, at least for now and I could agree somewhat with the polymer gun argument to some extent.  I will admit all day that a well built 2011 has a different response to the load, but I do believe his gun can handle it.

I am less concerned about the power factor as I am controlling recoil and making this gun shoot as fast and flat as we can.  I set out to build that sort of a gun with him, but didn't want to jump into a 2011 and just have it work.  That may sound really weird, but he has learned so much about guns building a gun from the ground up.  We are tinkering as much as anything and learning.  He is 11 and getting into the sport pretty seriously and I want to to not only shoot well, but also want him to learn all he can about how the gun works at each level.  

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

I'm with Jack.  Which is about what you are getting now.

Does the gun have an optical sight?  9mm Major is allowed in Open only.

He does have a sight.  He has a C-More RTS2 on a Carver Custom mount so it looks a lot like the 2011 race guns and takes the weight off the slide.  We have the 2.0 CORE with the slide cuts, so adding the weight back on seemed silly.  

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd use the lighter bullets (115 gr) and just enough powder to get

up to PF 145 or so.

Bet that will be a nice load for him.

Not a lot of gas, but no much recoil either.   And soft.   And quiet.   :) 

I'm kind of leaning the same way.  I still like the idea of getting more gas into the comp though. You are pretty spot on.  His gun starts to run really well, such as slide speed and feeding correctly/consistently at around a 140 PF.  Thank you!

The problem with FACTORY 124 and 147 rounds is they’re not softer than a 115. For that, you have to reload.

Run the charge normally underneath a 147 (like 3.0 titegroup) and load a 115 or 124gr bullet with it.

It’s hilariously soft.

A lot of guys do this for steel challenge.

You may need a lighter recoil spring to ensure reliability, and if you go TOO light it’ll be critical to grip the gun hard in order to get it to cycle reliably.

This won’t work the compensator at all, but you really don’t need one for a load that soft.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

More important than his body weight is how the gun fits his hands.  If he has a good solid comfortable grip then why not go major?  We have a few Jr shooters shooting major at about the same body weight.  One of them is knocking on the door to making M.