Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for Starting CrossFit

Dontkillbill

So my local communities CrossFit gym  aka "Box" is doing a fundamentals course in November.   I am going to sign up and get a month membership.   Anything I can do to cram for my course?  I do light deadlifts, box jumps and kettlebell swings along with some other weight lifting.   What can I expect and tell me how it helped your shooting if you are bored and want to explain it out for me.  I lost some weight but still have 30 more.  I am not able to do a pull up yet.... Goal for my 53rd birthday in March is a few.   I am thinking it will be a 2-3 days a week with supplementary workouts at my current gym. 

All movements can be scaled to your current abilities. Pay attention to the coaching so you use the correct techniques. I started at 63 after 30+ years of "Body by Neglect", 2 sessions a week. First year nutrition challenge and accompanying lifestyle changes dropped 50 pounds. 8.5+ years in, now 3/week, but don't yet have a pull-up, but have maintained weight with increased strength and endurance.

Make sure you are going to a good box with good coaches, first and foremost.  Like shooting, golf, tennis, BJJ, whatever... all coaches are not the same.

I wouldn't plan on doing 3 days a week plus additional workouts at your local globo gym.  Go slow, go lighter than you think you need to, check your ego, and get after it.

Focus on the form of the movements and go slow learning proper technique. Some of these movements like the snatch are taught to you in a 10 min block of instruction. Thats not enough IMHO. That is a complex movement that takes Olympic weightlifters years to master. Hopefully you have good coaches. So go slow, ask questions, AND don't worry about trying to get the most reps or rounds during a WOD only to sacrifice form and sustain a serious injury in the process. Ask me how I know. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been crossfitting since 2007 and coaching for about 5 years now.  Here are a few tips I would offer.  This is really no different than starting USPSA.  Don't try and do anything to get ready for crossfit, just show up with an open mind.  This is very similar to those asking how good do they need to be to start shooting matches.  

As others have mentioned coaching skills vary.  Try and find a gym that's been open 2 years or more because they've had time to fail and go out of business.  If they're around after that they are probably decent.  

I would plan on going 3 times per week for the first month.  You will be extremely sore for the first 2-3 weeks.  I don't care what kind of athletic background you have you'll be very sore.  There's no way around it, but you'll find you get less sore the longer you train.  

Try to resist the urge to compete with others in the gym with your scores.  As a new crossfitter your primary goal should be to get a good workout and learn the basic moves.  Don't worry if you don't know the difference between a hang power snatch and a shoulder to overhead!  

Lastly ask questions.  You're not bothering the coaches or athletes they will be more than happy to help you out.  

If you have any particular questions let me know and I'd be glad to help!  

Edited by TierThreeJake

17 hours ago, TierThreeJake said:

I've been crossfitting since 2007 and coaching for about 5 years now.  Here are a few tips I would offer.  This is really no different than starting USPSA.  Don't try and do anything to get ready for crossfit, just show up with an open mind.  This is very similar to those asking how good do they need to be to start shooting matches.  

As others have mentioned coaching skills vary.  Try and find a gym that's been open 2 years or more because they've had time to fail and go out of business.  If they're around after that they are probably decent.  

I would plan on going 3 times per week for the first month.  You will be extremely sore for the first 2-3 weeks.  I don't care what kind of athletic background you have you'll be very sore.  There's no way around it, but you'll find you get less sore the longer you train.  

Try to resist the urge to compete with others in the gym with your scores.  As a new crossfitter your primary goal should be to get a good workout and learn the basic moves.  Don't worry if you don't know the difference between a hang power snatch and a shoulder to overhead!  

Lastly ask questions.  You're not bothering the coaches or athletes they will be more than happy to help you out.  

If you have any particular questions let me know and I'd be glad to help!  

Going tonight,  a fundamental course starts soon and the first work is a walk through.    Checking the ego and not being competitive will be the hardest part but a few old guy jokes and lack of skill should be a big enough slice of humility.      

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

What exactly goes on in a cross fit gym?

I'm an old school body builder.

A general class will consist of members arriving early enough to bitch about yesterdays workout and how sore they are lol.  There will be a 10-15 minute warm up depending on the workout of the day.  Most gyms will then have a heavy lift (bench, press, squat, deadlift, snatch, clean) these are generally more in power lifting rep ranges 6 reps or under.  There will be a short break, then the WOD (workout of the day) 

Most WODs are designed to push your aerobic and anaerobic energy systems with an almost infinite combo of runs, rows, bikes, lifts, and gymnastics movements.  WODs are generally 8-15 minutes in length done for max reps or max speed.  After this there will be a cool down bringing the total class to about an hour.  

Some gyms do it differently but this is the general template.  

3 hours ago, Dontkillbill said:

Going tonight,  a fundamental course starts soon and the first work is a walk through.    Checking the ego and not being competitive will be the hardest part but a few old guy jokes and lack of skill should be a big enough slice of humility.      

The hardest part about crossfit is walking through the door the first time.  Have fun!  

My tip on starting CrossFit if you are 50 yrs old and overweight: DON'T!

I would continue doing weights (with a trainer, at least at the beginning) and throw in cardio in the mix. Lose the extra 30 you have with good nutrition. Eat lots of protein, and less carbs. After building sufficient fitness, start doing sprints and agility drills. 

CrossFit at this age can lead to bad injuries (think rotator cuff, ACL, etc), surgery, and ultimate decline in overall fitness. 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:31 AM, Tango said:

My tip on starting CrossFit if you are 50 yrs old and overweight: DON'T!

I would continue doing weights (with a trainer, at least at the beginning) and throw in cardio in the mix. Lose the extra 30 you have with good nutrition. Eat lots of protein, and less carbs. After building sufficient fitness, start doing sprints and agility drills. 

CrossFit at this age can lead to bad injuries (think rotator cuff, ACL, etc), surgery, and ultimate decline in overall fitness. 

This is akin to saying don't start USPSA now you need to practice more first.  It is possible to injure yourself in any worthwhile fitness program, and I would say that sprints are actually the most injurious exercise you can do.  

I wouldn't dissuade you from working out with a competent trainer, and there is nothing wrong with more traditional weights and cardio, but I think you'll find that the vast majority of people lack fitness because they don't have a well structured program nor the motivation to complete hard workouts consistently.  This is really why crossfit works.  You don't have to think about what to do and you end up hanging out with your squad at the gym and having a good time while working out.  

Just my two cents.  

Sorry I haven't replied sooner I was having computer issues.   

Tango.   I don't disagree and I waited 2 extra months and 9.5 pounds before starting.   I also wanted a few weeks off after shooting season.   Our CrossFit group has a great rep for trainers but as much as I talk about my competitive nature I think I can be a good student and not go nutz too often.   My fundimentals starts next week and I will report back. 

TTJake.   I agree.  Like USPSA or IPSC you need a certain skill level to play and I think I have that in my working outs.   I think the community aspect will push me harder than I can do on my own and make me work my over all body even if I don't like it :)   

2018 I shot a match at 300 pounds  I am under 240 now but in 2020 I am hoping for 200 pounds. 

My tip is only use about 75% of the weight you think you can handle. When you are going for your max, stop at 75%. I'm super competitive and I hurt myself a few times over the years. Luckily after a couple of months everything healed cus I'm still kinda young (39).

For the cardio parts know when to slow down before you completely gas out and almost puke. That's not fun and really hurts throwing up when your out of breath. 

On 11/8/2019 at 9:57 AM, Dontkillbill said:

Sorry I haven't replied sooner I was having computer issues.   

Tango.   I don't disagree and I waited 2 extra months and 9.5 pounds before starting.   I also wanted a few weeks off after shooting season.   Our CrossFit group has a great rep for trainers but as much as I talk about my competitive nature I think I can be a good student and not go nutz too often.   My fundimentals starts next week and I will report back. 

TTJake.   I agree.  Like USPSA or IPSC you need a certain skill level to play and I think I have that in my working outs.   I think the community aspect will push me harder than I can do on my own and make me work my over all body even if I don't like it :)   

2018 I shot a match at 300 pounds  I am under 240 now but in 2020 I am hoping for 200 pounds. 

It sounds like you've made some awesome progress on your own, which is great.  Try not to get too hung up on the scale.  A better measurement would be your waist measurement, as it more accurately shows that you are losing body fat.  Just remember if you lose 10 lbs of fat, and gain 10 lbs of muscle the scale says you did nothing, but you've actually made great progress.  Let me know how it goes or if anything there is confusing.  Glad to help.  

T3Jake.  Thanks things have been good. I know my body pretty well and I am pretty sure  I can render out 25-30 more pounds of fat.   My lightest as an adult was 188 I was lean under 10 percent body fat but its a constant grind and over a decade ago , right now I am 237 .   I need to find a balance point that I can sustain for a long term.   Will that be 10 more pounds or 25 or more?  Not sure yet but I do want to get under 215 so that that's another 22-23 pounds.   No hurry right now I hope for a pound a week but that looks like loosing 2.5 pounds one week and gaining .5 the next.  Maybe in December I can turn up the dial but its all moving in the right direction and March 15th is my birthday so I have 17.5 weeks

Iouu  -  LOL to bald or would have to have a man bun.   Even as a life long civilian I generally go with a  high and tight easier to get ready for work. 

I got my first CrossFit class done and it was good  a good warm up and we just practiced some of the lifts with a PVC pipe and then a 45 pound bar when my coach saw I was comfortable with barbells.    The "box" is huge in a newer building an amazing space.  Lots of racks etc...

We did a simple workout.

Rower 400m,

Front Squat 10 reps

and situps 10  

I got through 2 full sets and 350 meters of rowing on the third set in 12 minutes.

I  plan on taking it slow for the first month or two and find what I can lift but 75 percent is a good idea although I might 50 percent it for a few weeks to get my form cemented in.   As for cardio I wear a heart rate monitor albeit a less accurate wrist model and I think I know where the puke wall is but doing some of these workouts with weight might move that wall.

Wednesday we cover deadlifts, cleans and maybe the snatch.  

So goal one from 1/2 a pull up to 5-6 by my 53rd birthday in March.  I was always the fat kid (except two years in high school) so I would love to climb a rope.  Ok I am reliving my childhood. If you could put a crossfit gym, shooting range and MMA gym in one spot (with a coffee machine) I would be in heaven!

Non-CrossFit workout tonight.  Agility ladder,  heavy bag, treadmill  for intervals with some abs. Going light to ensure I have gas for Wednesday. 

Workout two in the books.   Dead lifts, box steps and burpees.  OUCH the next morning.    Anyway I made it through the fundamentals course.  The snatch and clean and jerk took the most time to learn. Well kind of learned. Basically I was told take this month and next to find your working weight and that we'll work on form everytime we workout. They have a regular lifting class that is not a CrossFit class but rather a chance to work on lifts , technique etc so I look forward to a few of those classes.      I found 2 nice replacements for pull ups.  Rings and band assists.   I think doing both 1/2 the time will aid my progression.  Hand Stand push ups   "Yeah right!", I said.  I can actually do one but I will use a replacement exercise until I can do 5-6. I need to have some strength left to dry fire afterall.  

CrossFit stereotype confirmed.  People were ripping off shirts and throwing bars.  Oh the locker room smells like AXE body spray.

Stereotypes not fulfilled. No man buns or ridiculously peppy people.  I think I found my time slot with a dozen people that looked moderately miserable and working hard.   I'm a 7 pm guy I think.   Got to work late tonight then hit the regular gym for a light active recovery day.    Exercise bike, treadmill, rower with a few rounds of heavy bag.   Maybe do so hammer curls for the forearms. 

Yesterday was my first full blown class and not a fundamental course with a short work out. 

Warm up was 10 different exercises and 500 meters on the rower.

We did 5 sets of   3deadlifts, 3 front squats and 3 Thrusters (explosive shoulder press) to work strength. 

I used a light weight ( could of curled it for reps) but it tired me right out!

Then the work of the day (WOD) was;

3 power cleans, , 3 front squats and 3 Thrusters x 3.

15 toes to bar ( I did knees to chest) 

Repeat for 12 minutes.

Minute 8 ish I had to really slow down I felt the "Upchuck" button being pressed.   I completed 2 full sets and 18 reps.    Front squats were the toughest as my arms are not yet flexible enough to do a good front squat.  Got better through the evening and hopefully in 2 months I will have this handled.  

If my body can handle this supplemented with my heavy bag workouts and cardo sessions I will be in good shape for the spring season.  

Right now using some light Advil in the AM.  I wonder if I could get them to sponsor me LOL!

OK 3 full workout in and I bit off a bit more than I should of yesterday.   A nerve in my back reminded me I was 53 and a newbie to CrossFit.     Sumo deadlifts 5 sets of 5 then a killer workout.

35 double unders or 55 single unders (skipping) I did the singles although I managed a few double under.

25 air squats

15 kettle bell swings.

As many as you can in 12 minutes oh did I mention every minute we did 3 burpees. 

Apparently my body didn't care for the burpees.   I did manage the required 30 burpees and almost got through the rotation twice.   Came out too fast and gassed on the first set.  Well I gassed on the burpees and well I would of gassed some where.  

I think this is a twice a week thing for me right now.  Maybe an extra work out or two over the holidays.

Got to work in some dry fire on days off been too slack.

Dontkillbill - 

Looks like things have been going pretty well.  Two to three times per week is a good goal to shoot for in the first month.  As you become more accustomed to the volume/intensity you'll find you can add in more work.  I wouldn't do anything over 5 days per week, as you'll have a hard time recovering from that amount of work.  I've found that, just like in shooting, you will gain the most from working on aspects of your fitness that you are currently the worst at.  It sucks at first but after about 3-4 weeks you start to notice real improvement and that will really motivate you.  

Keep it up brother.  

12 hours ago, TierThreeJake said:

Dontkillbill - 

Looks like things have been going pretty well.  Two to three times per week is a good goal to shoot for in the first month.  As you become more accustomed to the volume/intensity you'll find you can add in more work.  I wouldn't do anything over 5 days per week, as you'll have a hard time recovering from that amount of work.  I've found that, just like in shooting, you will gain the most from working on aspects of your fitness that you are currently the worst at.  It sucks at first but after about 3-4 weeks you start to notice real improvement and that will really motivate you.  

Keep it up brother.  

I'm in 6 workouts and finally got one that I was alright.  By alright the 20 minute WOD was brutal but doable but everyone was gassed.     Last week I over did it and managed one workout with 3 days off to let the back get to normal. 

Last night was a calorie burner.

Group warm up with running and stretching.  ( I was feeling the warm up)

10 minutes working on skipping

20 minutes WOD

40 jump squats

30 Toes to bar (scaled)

20 dumb snatches (I scaled the dumbbell to 35 from 50)

10 burpees

I managed 2 full cycles and 38 jump squats.  

Thursday I will go for another session as the Thursday class focuses on Olympic lifting. Tonight heavy bag work and light cardio and abs. Might do a few agility drills on the ladder.

Take care.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:14 AM, NMBOpen said:

All movements can be scaled to your current abilities. Pay attention to the coaching so you use the correct techniques. I started at 63 after 30+ years of "Body by Neglect", 2 sessions a week. First year nutrition challenge and accompanying lifestyle changes dropped 50 pounds. 8.5+ years in, now 3/week, but don't yet have a pull-up, but have maintained weight with increased strength and endurance.

I know this shooter.  CrossFit benefited him.

I started after my Chemo and have not looked back.  It is an awesome program.

I just finished the Open this year.  I did not push it because the Desert Classic was at the same time.  I did my first consecutive double unders today.  

I love ports that a lower.  

Generally I do Scaled about 50% of the time.  I did Rx for the Open.  I am 68!

10 hours ago, pjb45 said:

I know this shooter.  CrossFit benefited him.

I started after my Chemo and have not looked back.  It is an awesome program.

I just finished the Open this year.  I did not push it because the Desert Classic was at the same time.  I did my first consecutive double unders today.  

I love ports that a lower.  

Generally I do Scaled about 50% of the time.  I did Rx for the Open.  I am 68!

That's pretty cool. Sounds like you are in the game!

Yesterday was a lifting class although the warm up was a good enough workout for most!   walking around the gym with 75 pound over your head.   Snatches and split cleans.  Snatches were  at the bottom of my list but after yesterday I know I can do a few with a light weight and get my form worked on.  I am a mess at cleans because of shoulder and arms not being bendy in the right ways.    It will come.

Rx won't be near my name for some time!  I'm hoping I can do 3 classes next week but we'll see how I make out.    I need to build up some support muscles so squats and deadlifts.  I need to work light Olympic lifts to build form and flexibility in my arms and shoulders. 

My Birthday is in March and if I can climb the rope flip a tire  and do 3 unassisted pull ups it will be great start to my 53rd year.     I will work on my double unders  for you. 

Low ports here I come and there is a match every year with a Cooper tunnel so that should improve muchly!

Now if I could dry fire there I would be set.   I need to dry fire more I just can't seem to get into it more than once a week.  

DontkillBill:

Totally Awesome.

Although I was a pretty good runner for decades, my legs strength was weak.  I ride my bike to the Box, about 45 minutes in 100 degree weather and 30 minutes cooler weather.

Trick for pull ups:  Go to the rack.  Set a barbell height that is a bit of a stretch for your arms when you are sitting down on the floor.  This was much better for me than ring rows. I was started to do jumping muscle ups before my trip to Europe.  Tough getting back to that level again at my age but will start next week.

Push press and jerks for a rack are more than my weight-180 lbs but cleans are my limiting factor.  

I did a dead lift at 255 last week-PR.

GHD situps!! Love them. I could not do even one in the beginning.  Now :-), every WOD pre warm gets sets of 10.

Other note: FitAid and protein powder.  I started with Trader Joes but switch to Ascent.  It helps.

The boxes I been to: Paris, Lisbon, Marrakech, Rome, Milan, Albuquerque and Snobbsdale do not allow headphones.  You get to talk with your fellow cult members.  So much better than LA Fitness or 24 hr Fitness.

Keep it up.  It can be a grind but it is well worth it.

Again totally awesome.

If you know or heard of Mike Seeklander, he got me interested in CrossFit.  His books are great.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, pjb45 said:

DontkillBill:

Totally Awesome.

Although I was a pretty good runner for decades, my legs strength was weak.  I ride my bike to the Box, about 45 minutes in 100 degree weather and 30 minutes cooler weather.

Trick for pull ups:  Go to the rack.  Set a barbell height that is a bit of a stretch for your arms when you are sitting down on the floor.  This was much better for me than ring rows. I was started to do jumping muscle ups before my trip to Europe.  Tough getting back to that level again at my age but will start next week.

Push press and jerks for a rack are more than my weight-180 lbs but cleans are my limiting factor.  

I did a dead lift at 255 last week-PR.

GHD situps!! Love them. I could not do even one in the beginning.  Now :-), every WOD pre warm gets sets of 10.

Other note: FitAid and protein powder.  I started with Trader Joes but switch to Ascent.  It helps.

The boxes I been to: Paris, Lisbon, Marrakech, Rome, Milan, Albuquerque and Snobbsdale do not allow headphones.  You get to talk with your fellow cult members.  So much better than LA Fitness or 24 hr Fitness.

Keep it up.  It can be a grind but it is well worth it.

Again totally awesome.

If you know or heard of Mike Seeklander, he got me interested in CrossFit.  His books are great.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.   I will Google/YouTube Seeklander. 

Sounds like your crushing it.  I need to build up my lower back a bit before I go and try anything heavy.    I suspect that if I get some back, then front squats built up along with deadlifts everything else will come with reps and practice.   Anyway I will see if I can get one step closer tonight.   GULP!

I love that substitution for pull ups and will try a few tonight.