Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 minor Stock II xtreme vs shadow 2 in Production

Wiseguy724

A lot of people shop these 2 vs each other for production with good arguments on either side. I was wondering about shooting a stock II xtreme in .40 minor because I already have a 1050/mr bulletfeeder and a ton of components for my limited setup. I have been contemplating taking a break from limited and being that I have been shooting tanfo for several years, I wanted to stick with a similar platform. I see a lot of comparisons but not for my oddball .40 minor idea. Also how well will the xtreme compare well to a shadow 2 with cajun parts? From what I gather .40 minor can shoot just as soft as 9mm.

I dont know first hand but I have been to a couple major matches and have found a few people who shoot .40 minor through a Stock 2. IMHO stock 2 extreme vs a regular Stock 2 your not getting much. You are still going to have to do a trigger job on the Extreme model.

As far as the Cajunized CZ again I feel that they leave alot to desire. I know of alot of guys who did their own trigger job and the trigger were far superior to Cajun for ALOT less.

I think you'll be happy with a Reg Stock 2 in .40 and run minor ammo. I have heard it is very soft and flat shooting.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

No reason to buy an Extreme edition when a few bucks worth of spring, polishing, and a single-piece sear will get you a better trigger on a standard model substantially cheaper.

Not disputing.

If you read the hoopla for the extreme it implies that it is a better fit gun. I do not know if there is any difference besides the cosmetics and the trigger, but I've wondered if they got a bit more gunsmithy when they put those together. 

I'm with Memphis on getting the standard Tanfo instead of the Extreme, unless you just really want the different finish. I don't think you would go wrong with .40 and I think the Stock 2 will fit the limited Tanfo holsters. 

I could go either way as far as the color scheme on both go, but I just figured the xtreme would have more work "pre-done" compared to the standard. What lb recoil spring would cycle 40 minor well? I currently use the henning 10.75 lb on my major gun an it has been fine so far, but might be too stiff for minor.

Jaytac you are the first I've heard make a comment like that towards the CZ shadow 2, a lot of people rave about them especially with the cajun farkles added. Not disputing, just surprising. Any further detail? There is someone here locally selling their entire shadow 2 production rig with all of cajuns stuff done in house by CJW, so it would be a nice turn-key transition. Well, aside from having to buy ammo until I can get a caliber conversion squared away.

As far as sharing a holster I use a racemaster for my current limited tanfo so I'll have to setup a new rig anyway, but moving from the elite limited to a shadow 2/stock 2 is smoother than say, 1911 to tanfo.

The reason I was thinking stock 2 vs 3 is bull barrel, and call me superficial but I don't dig the railed frame look as much as I prefer the smooth full length dust cover. I'm at the skill level where aesthetics still actually matter (i.e. I'm not that great).

Thank you for the responses. This may not happen but It's good to get some input on options. I also think about trying open tanfoglio but there seems to be less info out there.

55 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@IHAVEGAS I’ve never held an Extreme so I can’t dispute this claim - but it’s good to know that they *state* they’re better fitted.

"Each of the Witness Xtreme Pistol Series is manufactured to meet the rigors of the Six-Time World Champion, Eric Grauffel’s demanding requirements. Every Witness Xtreme pistol is hand-tuned by the Master Gunsmiths from Tanfoglio’s Custom Shop in Italy"

That might mean that they are prettier and have a trigger job only, or it might mean something different, dunno.  

"Each of the Witness Xtreme Pistol Series is manufactured to meet the rigors of the Six-Time World Champion, Eric Grauffel’s demanding requirements. Every Witness Xtreme pistol is hand-tuned by the Master Gunsmiths from Tanfoglio’s Custom Shop in Italy"

That might mean that they are prettier and have a trigger job only, or it might mean something different, dunno.  
I'll tell you this. I literally just got home from my morning range session with my standard Stock 2.

And after following@MemphisMechanic videos a 100 bucks I CAN guarantee you that my trigger is way better than an extreme model. I have 1100 into my Stock 2 with a 5.5# DA and 1.75# SA that fires Winchester Primers flawlessly.

I have 15K through my new stock 2 that I got March of this year and have not looked back.

OP do yourself a favor and save your money by purchasing a standard model over the Extreme version.

4 hours ago, JayTac556 said:

And after following@MemphisMechanic videos a 100 bucks I CAN guarantee you that my trigger is way better than an extreme model. I have 1100 into my Stock 2 with a 5.5# DA and 1.75# SA that fires Winchester Primers flawlessly.

Tell him which parts you put in your gun. Always good to hear various build lists and the results.

You get as much pull quality “smooth as glass” from hours behind the buffer and/or dremel polishing things as you do from the springs in a tanfoglio.

Very different from the striker-gun world I went back to (Walther PPQ / Q5) where there’s not much to polish and springs are all the weight difference.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

@Wiseguy724 I assume you’re already familiar with Tanfoglio internals due to your Limited gun experience, and through my Tanfoglio Tuning youtube videos or some other means.

If you’re not, and you’ve never had your Limited gun totally stripped down? Do it. Clean it up nice, and learn that parts removal/polishing/spring replacing is super easy to do.

Tell him which parts you put in your gun. Always good to hear various build lists and the results.

You get as much pull quality “smooth as glass” from hours behind the buffer and/or dremel polishing things as you do from the springs in a tanfoglio.

Very different from the striker-gun world I went back to (Walther PPQ / Q5) where there’s not much to polish and springs are all the weight difference.

Great Point@MemphisMechanic

Stock 2 parts and internals.
-Stripped completley down and polished following Memphis Mechanic videos
- reduced power trigger spring
- reduced power sear spring
- reduced power #18 Henning plunger spring
- BOLO disconnector (not necessary/ will NOT do on my next Stock 2 I purchase)
-EAA one piece sear (long number 9.1)
-15.5 patriot defense hammer spring
-patriot defense firing pun spring

And this is all you need approx 100 bucks or so and you have a nice crisp reliable trigger.

46 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Wiseguy724 I assume you’re already familiar with Tanfoglio internals due to your Limited gun experience, and through my Tanfoglio Tuning youtube videos or some other means.

If you’re not, and you’ve never had your Limited gun totally stripped down? Do it. Clean it up nice, and learn that parts removal/polishing/spring replacing is super easy to do.

Yes I have spent a lot of time inside my gun, a lot of surfaces in there are mirrored. i wet sand in steps from 800 to 2500 grit, sometimes 3000 before polishing in some cases. I bought the gun used and the previous owner had nearly destroyed it. so I have learned a lot about tanfo internals and functions on my journey since it was a paperweight with several missing parts when I unboxed it. As a matter of fact watching your videos allowed me to see that years later, I'm still actually missing parts.

I wasn't expecting to get much more beyond "if you want to shoot production just buy a 9mm," so thank you all for the great feedback.

Edited by Wiseguy724

Yes I have spent a lot of time inside my gun, a lot of surfaces in there are mirrored. i wet sand in steps from 800 to 2500 grit, sometimes 3000 before polishing in some cases. I bought the gun used and the previous owner had nearly destroyed it. so I have learned a lot about tanfo internals and functions on my journey since it was a paperweight with several missing parts when I unboxed it. As a matter of fact watching your videos allowed me to see that years later, I'm still actually missing parts.

I wasn't expecting to get much more beyond "if you want to shoot production just buy a 9mm," so thank you all for the great feedback.
I just posted what i have in mine brother.@MemphisMechanic correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I cant purchase anything else to make it better than what it is.

As far as you going to weather I think you're insane but hope it's working our for you. Do you still have your Stock 3 you did up?

2 minutes ago, JayTac556 said:

Great Point@MemphisMechanic

Stock 2 parts and internals.
-Stripped completley down and polished following Memphis Mechanic videos
- reduced power trigger spring
- reduced power sear spring
- reduced power #18 Henning plunger spring
- BOLO disconnector (not necessary/ will NOT do on my next Stock 2 I purchase)
-EAA one piece sear (long number 9.1)
-15.5 patriot defense hammer spring
-patriot defense firing pun spring

And this is all you need approx 100 bucks or so and you have a nice crisp reliable trigger.

Awesome, thanks for this! What were your qualms with the BOLO?

Awesome, thanks for this! What were your qualms with the BOLO?
Not necessary for speed practical shooting we do in USPSA. It does help with pre travel buuuuut I dont really care about that because in our sport we are slapping the trigger and not coming off all the way. I do not ride the reset nor come all the way off the trigger to notice a difference.

At the Western PA sectionals i was at we had 30 yard miny poppers and for those I see my sights and add pressure to the trigger until it goes bang. Some people like riding the wall but I dont ride a wall anymore because it slows you down in this sport.

2 minutes ago, JayTac556 said:

Not necessary for speed practical shooting we do in USPSA. It does help with pre travel buuuuut I dont really care about that because in our sport we are slapping the trigger and not coming off all the way. I do not ride the reset nor come all the way off the trigger to notice a difference.

At the Western PA sectionals i was at we had 30 yard miny poppers and for those I see my sights and add pressure to the trigger until it goes bang. Some people like riding the wall but I dont ride a wall anymore because it slows you down in this sport.

Good points, thanks for sharing everything.

Good points, thanks for sharing everything.
Anytime bro. Best of luck to you. Hope this helps. Shadow 2 and Stock 2 are both great options. Dont worry about not shooting flat if your thinking about the 40 minor. Go for it.....AND it will help you with the close calls on Aplha Charle lines lol. It will shoot nice and soft and flat because your shoot a heavy bullet really slow. Kinda similar to 147 grain 9mm but better.

And now you dont have to change dies

Yup, I thought about that alpha/charlie split, hah!

We'll see if I make the jump, this weekend will be my first match with my limited in supposedly good working order after solving my magazine/bullet drag out issue. I hope I fall in love again so I can just shoot it and be happy.

Yup, I thought about that alpha/charlie split, hah!

We'll see if I make the jump, this weekend will be my first match with my limited in supposedly good working order after solving my magazine/bullet drag out issue. I hope I fall in love again so I can just shoot it and be happy.
There you go. I'm possibly looking to jump to limited division myself. But I love production

9 hours ago, Wiseguy724 said:

I could go either way as far as the color scheme on both go, but I just figured the xtreme would have more work "pre-done" compared to the standard. What lb recoil spring would cycle 40 minor well? I currently use the henning 10.75 lb on my major gun an it has been fine so far, but might be too stiff for minor.

I shoot .40 minor in a Limited Pro and a Stock II.  A good polish job goes a long way towards a good trigger, and I agree with what everyone says about leaving the stock disco in vs the BOLO since I also don't ride the reset.  On both models I have the Henning cone-fit guiderod (which is a must in my opinion), the PD firing pin spring and the PD 15.5 hammer spring.  Everything else internal is pretty much stock.

Play with the recoil spring to see what works best for you.  On the Stock II the Wolff 8lb longslide spring works great for major loads and the 6lb one is great for minor loads.  If you want your slide to reliably auto-forward on a slide-lock reload, I would go with a 7lb longslide spring for .40 minor.  For the Limited Pro and the Stock III the 10lb longslide spring works well for .40 major and the 8lb or 9lb works for .40 minor.

17 hours ago, JayTac556 said:

I just posted what i have in mine brother.@MemphisMechanic correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I cant purchase anything else to make it better than what it is.

As far as you going to weather I think you're insane but hope it's working our for you. Do you still have your Stock 3 you did up?

Sold it to a guy in Oregon.

Insane? Why? I shoot the same points at the same pace with a PPQ or G34 that I do with a Tanfo. The gun really doesn’t matter very much - as long as it fits your hands, and runs. I’ll stick with plastic.

I’m close enough to M class that I might make a push to crest that milestone in the spring with my tupperware, if I can actually find time to practice. I’m that A class guy who never dryfires. 😂

Edited by MemphisMechanic