Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PC Carbine Refresh

I thought the whole platform felt on the heavy side.(bolt?)...... Didn't seem to point fast for me.....("Spoiled" by the Taccom aluminum shrouded barrel AR I use I imagine?). Was very reliable Glock mags, lower cost than most AR  9mm's.....Just not for me....

What stinks is that as a CT resident, because of those 'evil' features you can't purchase a 9mm AR-platform unless you start with a pre-ban lower ($$$) or gear something configured as an 'other'.  So one can't even get a Ruger in this new configuration anyway.

44 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

What stinks is that as a CT resident, because of those 'evil' features you can't purchase a 9mm AR-platform unless you start with a pre-ban lower ($$$) or gear something configured as an 'other'.  So one can't even get a Ruger in this new configuration anyway.

That sucks. Do people there have to use the conversion kits that allow regular 223 lowers to accept glock mags?

15 minutes ago, farinx said:

That sucks. Do people there have to use the conversion kits that allow regular 223 lowers to accept glock mags?

Yes, I do on my dedicated PCC which is based off a PreBan lower ( I use the Stern Defense).  For just personal use you can get a new 'other' configured AR-9 type that uses a pistol brace and a 12"+ barrel, and many local competitions or steel/plates allow shooter to use that as PCC.  But actual USPSA requires an actual 'rifle' with a shoulder stock.

Some have older AR's with magwell converters for Colt mags and such.

What's even worse is that for USPSA matches in NY state where I want to shoot PCC, when I had the regular Ruger PC9, I couldn't legally shoot it in that state because it had a threaded barrel....a la just one 'evil' feature.

Edited by MoRivera
3 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

Yes, I do on my dedicated PCC which is based off a PreBan lower ( I use the Stern Defense).  For just personal use you can get a new 'other' configured AR-9 type that uses a pistol brace and a 12"+ barrel, and many local competitions or steel/plates allow shooter to use that as PCC.  But actual USPSA requires an actual 'rifle' with a shoulder stock.

Some have older AR's with magwell converters for Colt mags and such.

Why are you allowed to have a new AR-9 pistol, but not a new AR-9 rifle?  Maybe I shouldn't try to understand the logic behind gun laws...

Edited by farinx
3 hours ago, farinx said:

Why are you allowed to have a new AR-9 pistol, but not a new AR-9 rifle?  Maybe I shouldn't try to understand the logic behind gun laws...

Not an AR-9 pistol, an 'Other'.....something that's neither a pistol nor a rifle.....a la, it comes with a pistol brace not a stock, but the barrel is longer than 12" (overall length over 26") and it has a vertical fore grip from the 'factory'.

It's screwy.