Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to properly lock the strong hand wrist

BryceA

• 11 months later...

Its all in the plastic.  Get a metal gun.  Now that I've had my fun, I'm a B class, but I've played the game a lot longer than some.  You can't stop the bounce any more than you can stop the wind.  That said the most important aspect is that it returns basically to the same spot.  If you have to adjust the position that costs time, if you are moving to the next target it doesn't matter.  You could take a job as a diesel mechanic for a couple years to strengthen your wrist or try some different recoil springs.  There is one assumption here, and that is that you have shot enough that you are oblivious to blast and the sound, once you have shot enough you won't notice the recoil or even notice the sound, it becomes like an out of body virtual reality.  Focus on the big time eaters first, if you save .005 a second on a course 16 double taps will you win the match?  probably not.  If you can cut 1 second off each move to a new position that might be huge.  It is not how fast you get there it is how fast you get there ready to shoot.

afte r   hand reconstructive surgery, i had to learn how to grip and shoot again as  I have  the lesser 3 fingers on the shooting hand that do not have power any more.

I make sure I lock my strong side wrist as stated in this thread. I am so add a bit more isometric push and pull and really tighten my grip using the strong side  hand. I have found that rotating  the strong side elbow  inward a bit on the strong side allows me to cover  more grip and have better  control of the gun.

I am getting close to "normal".I  do have some muzzle wander if I do not concentrate as I should with all shots. My groups are tightening  @ 15 yards..albeit a bit left or right. it all depends on my concentration level, especially when I try to achieve a smooth trigger pull  vs a slap . tight is right!! 

Edited by boatdoc173
spelling

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2019 at 5:29 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Grip. Harder.

With both hands.

No no. Harder that that.

Okay. Now you’ve got the strong hand down. CRUSH the gun into tiny little pieces with your weak hand

I'm a newbie so I don't really know what I'm doing.

But here's a great video with interviews of a bunch of world-class shooters who would disagree with the "grip harder" mantra.   (Here "grip" means hands, not wrists.  Locked wrists are critical)

Edited by matto6

@matto6 I can think of at least three repeat national champions who aren’t at all mindful of locking their wrists, their focus is on gripping the gun with sufficent pressure.

If it works for you, great. A lot of guys find success with similar methodologies... but a lot of people also shoot at world class levels with other techniques.

Use what works for you.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 month later...

My two cents here. I have had good grip since the day I started shooting. Locking the wrist while being able to move my index finger fast comes natural to me. Recently I realized this is not the case for everyone and started analyzing the situation. For me, I believe it is due to my martial arts/boxing training. See, if you have to punch something like the heavy bag, especially without gloves, you have to have locked wrists. Otherwise you roll your wrist, and it hurts like hell. So, anybody who can punch a heavy bag without hurting themselves can lock their wrists at will. Funny thing is, your fingers can be quite loose while doing that, it doesn't matter as long as the wrist is locked. They can be loose most of the time, but at the time of impact the wrist becomes solid. Most boxing gloves force your hand to remain open and kind of loose.

I am sure there are other sports have this kind of concept. Anyway, I recommend you try some heavy bag work and see if you get the concept.

Hwansik Kim is locking his wrist without gripping hard with his strong hand. I think Stoeger does it too. You can learn to isolate that muscle group in your forearm. 

Thats at least what Kim said.

Grauffel is using almost no grip pressure. Front to back pressure only. His wrists are locked pretty good i think.