Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0 Barrel life?

Bagellord

Anyone know what the barrel life is on these guns? I've got somewhere north of 15k on one of mine, and I've noticed that the groups are quite bad compared to my basically brand new gun. The barrel slides forwards and backwards a fair mount in the slide, when I don't have a recoil spring installed. Is it time for a new barrel?

Not sure, don't have a high enough round count on mine yet. Does it have more play without the recoil spring  than when it was new? If it is wearing to a higher clearance what I would be afraid of is that some of the wear would be on the barrel but some would also be on the slide which would mean putting a new barrel would still not bring it to new spec. Or you could put an APEX semi fitted barrel which would almost certainly make it better.

Edited by m39nut

I also forgot to ask what kind of ammo are you using? Some fouls worse than others and I just don't feel the new solvents are as good of getting rid of copper fouling as Sweet 7.62 or old formula Hoppes with ammonia in them. I just don't get the patches coming out green from the copper dissolving like I used to. I used to scrub the barrels until that discoloring on the patch went away. I would have to clean my national match barrel M1A very thoroughly with a nylon bore brush and Sweets if I wanted to keep my accuracy good. And that was every 100 rounds.

I just hope you don't need a new barrel this early. That would be a pain to have to change that often. 

Edited by m39nut

Very much doubt that you would wear the rifling early with those. Just for curiosity I would be tempted to run a Lewis lead remover and see if anything comes out. Not necessarily lead but maybe some of the coating used on the bullets building up in the corners of the rifling. I would like to think Smith designed the barrel and slide to last longer that 15K rounds and will be very disappointed if it can't. 

I know I used Bayou Bullets with my Shadow and HP38 powder and occasionally would have to scrub to get the coating out a little, not too bad just some extra work with a copper brush. I never used Blue Bullets but I am assuming the coating is somewhat similar. And the combo of HP38 and Bayou coatings made a bad smell during shooting......

After you use the lead remover and scrub the barrel well I would do a quick sanity check by getting just a couple of boxes of factory loads such American Eagle 124gr and just see how they perform. If it still is bad after that them maybe time for a new barrel.

I am interested in this since I have an almost new M&P 2.0 and want it to last a long time.

49 minutes ago, yigal said:

good friend use m&p  for ipsc training and comps. gun after 75k of factory 115gr and 124 gr  ammo.

same accuracy as was a new .and  he is a pro shooter.👍 he check this every week. and gun is always clean after shooting.

That's the kind of life I'm hoping for!!! 

i read about some trial in US that check this gun. but in this trial they stopped shooting with this gun after 63k they found small crack in slide.

but they checked the accuracy all over the trial and it stays the same from   0- 63k.👍

now i can believe about this . not like to a car dealer😀

13 minutes ago, PrimaryBruce said:

Never heard of a pistol barrel not going at least 30-50k rounds, even on a poor quality barrel made from sub par material (which I don't believe the M&P 2.0 falls under).

That's why i am so surprised at the accuracy.

I was talking to a friend at work today who is a benchrest shooter. Even though it's not an exact comparison he was saying a lot of rifle shooters tried moly coated bullets and gave up on them due to loss of accuracy due to the moly putting a residue in the barrel. And he added it took a LOT of scrubbing to get it out. I wonder if this is the same condition.

Edited by m39nut