Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you reuse a bullet that's been pulled?

ilovevtac

I do.  At matches, I pick up brass and all the live ammo I can find.  I use a Hornaday cam lock bullet puller and I pull all the live ammo.  I'll dump all the powder and re-use the case and primer if it's not damaged.  The heads go into a bin by weight.  I'll use the heads if they are the same type I'm loading on XL650.  or If by chance the Dillon spits out an upside down primer or if the Bullet feeder drops an upside down bullet. I'll pull it an re-use it.

Short answer, yes.

Long(er) answer:

FMJ/Plated - Almost always. Check plated bullets for an aggressive crimp which can compromise the plating.

Lead/Coated - As long as the bullet hasn't be swaged to the point that it's leading the barrel and/or an aggressive crimp which can compromise the coating.

Edited by 4n2t0

On 10/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, 4n2t0 said:

The crimp doesn't stop setback in 9mm, sizing does. 

I beg to differ... I can press one of my loaded cartridges that has NOT been crimped  on its nose and can shorten the AOL..  once crimped.. it does not ..

3 hours ago, cecil said:

I beg to differ... I can press one of my loaded cartridges that has NOT been crimped  on its nose and can shorten the AOL..  once crimped.. it does not ..

1) AOL is a now defunct internet service provider from my childhood days.

2) You can beg to differ all you want but you're definitely wrong.

Edited by 4n2t0

4 hours ago, cecil said:

If this is true then you really should re-visit your loading process to figure out what's wrong, for safety's sake. Sounds like either your expander is too big, die isn't sizing small enough, or your bullets are undersized (that last one is unlikely). I've encountered this before, and it was an oversized expander at fault.

Crimp is a really poor substitute for good case neck tension. If your rounds have good neck tension, you should not be able to push the bullets in deeper by hand. (The exception would be a benchrest cartridge set up for very light neck tension; a different thing than 9mm semi-auto ammo.)

On 10/11/2019 at 7:11 PM, Yondering said:

If this is true then you really should re-visit your loading process to figure out what's wrong, for safety's sake. Sounds like either your expander is too big, die isn't sizing small enough, or your bullets are undersized (that last one is unlikely). I've encountered this before, and it was an oversized expander at fault.

Crimp is a really poor substitute for good case neck tension. If your rounds have good neck tension, you should not be able to push the bullets in deeper by hand. (The exception would be a benchrest cartridge set up for very light neck tension; a different thing than 9mm semi-auto ammo.)

Absolutely.  Plus, elasticity of the brass with different headstamps varies as well, depends what he is using.  What is perfect expansion/tension with Federal, Blazer, Speer brass may be loose with GFL, S&B,  some Win. 

If I use a kinetic puller (hammer) I can usually reuse the bullet as long as it doesn’t bounce back and hit the case and damage the coating. I’ve never been able to use a bullet that I’ve pulled by using collet puller such as the RCBS puller, it always damages the coating, or deforms the bullet. I’ve had better luck with jacketed bullets but it still left marks on the bullet.

20 hours ago, wolffy1876 said:

Does it damage coated bullets?  I loathe using a hammer puller.

Yes almost always will damage coated or other lead bullets, in my experience. Also, many lead pistol bullet profiles are difficult or impossible to pull with a collet puller. Collet pullers have their place but are not a universal best solution. 

Edited by Yondering

On 10/20/2019 at 6:31 PM, mveto said:

If I use a kinetic puller (hammer) I can usually reuse the bullet as long as it doesn’t bounce back and hit the case and damage the coating. I’ve never been able to use a bullet that I’ve pulled by using collet puller such as the RCBS puller, it always damages the coating, or deforms the bullet. I’ve had better luck with jacketed bullets but it still left marks on the bullet.

You can solve the "bounce back" issue by slipping a piece of plastic tubing  over the bullet and case, long enough to just about touch the inside base of the hammer.   Common 1/2" OD / 3/8' ID poly tubing from Home Depot works with my FA kinetic puller.  This slows and traps the bullet from flying around inside and nicking the coating/lead at the base.