Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.356/.357 FMJ for 9mm Minor Load?

anonymouscuban

Hey all.

I just won a listing for these projectiles over at gunbroker. Description says they're sized at .356/.357. I'm hoping I can shoot these out of my SP-01.

I was thinking of using Win 231 powder. Maybe at 130 PF. Although I will have to plunk these, I have gotten 1.14 OAL to run well with other similar profile of bullet.

.357 coated lead has run well in my gun but not sure about jacketed.

Am I gonna blow my gun up or am I OK?

75457692041b112acaf1579313ee9bdd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

You will be fine. Start low and work your way up. May need to mic a bunch and sort them into batches for .356 and .357. If the .357s dont shoot that well, get the lee bullet sizing die and squeeze them down to .356. What was the price you got them for?
Thanks for the reply. I found a few post on here of guys loading 160gr in 9mm cases with great success. These are gonna be shorter than that at 142gr.

I'm planning on loading these with Win 231. I will use 147gr load data and start on the low end and work up some loads. Goal is to be around 920 fps.

My gun shoots .357 coated bullets very accurately but these are FMJ so had me a little concerned. Wasn't sure if since I see most FMJ at .355. Like you suggested, i will caliper and separate them and resize the .357 if they don't shoot well. Just good to know I won't blow myself up.

I got them just under 5 cent per. That's counting shipping.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Fmj have a narrower profile then coated bullets. If you are alredy shooting 357 coated bullets you should be fine unless your barrel doesn't like the bullet profile.. It takes more powder to run fmj then coated bullets.. Around 10% more.. I would start with the same OAL as your coated bullets and go from there..