Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Open Gun Maintenance Schedule

YellowShooter

I clean my gun after every match, and change the springs in the gun every 5,000 rounds and mag springs every year.

Cleaning the gun after every match is also a good time to inspect it to make sure nothing bad is happing.

I think it depends on what you use.  Springs are cheap, so condition them and replace at will.  That being said, I've used the same MBX mag springs and followers for two seasons and they still work like new.  Change you mainspring when your trigger pull weight starts to drop.  Change your plunger tube spring when operating the safety gets easier.  I'll note the ISMI plunger tube springs don't last as long as Wolff.  Change the FP spring every time you do a full breakdown for a thorough cleaning.  I break mine down to individual parts every 5000-6000 rounds.  Change recoil springs when you feel like it.   Change Aftec springs when the case don't get thrown as far (about 15,000 rounds).  Sear springs don't seem to wear out.  Just retension them, or replace every major tear down.  Springs are cheap.

At every major tear down examine every part closely and under magnification.  Repair or replace any deficiencies.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:33 PM, YellowShooter said:

Hey Gang!

Anyone has a good maintenance schedule?

Like, Mag Spring every X rounds

Main Spring every Y rounds

etc etc

Thanks!

I never replace springs as maintenance though I watch Aftec springs closely. 

Clean gun couple times a week. Full teardown a couple times a month. 

On 10/8/2019 at 10:34 AM, zzt said:

I've used the same MBX mag springs and followers for two seasons and they still work like new. 

I have some SVI/STI mags that are a decade old and have not yet replaced a spring.

Not a recommendation, because springs are inexpensive - merely an observation.    :) 

Shoot until it malfunctions and that could be more than 40 thousand plus rounds fired. Quality lube and springs can go a long ways, just because springs are cheap doesn't mean to throw away perfectly good springs before they wear out. One needs to use a spring till it wears out so you know the signs of a spring is wearing out.

Rich