Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many ranges have the facilities to host Nationals

Sandbagger123

Shot Nationals this year love it. While shooing we were trying to guess where the next one would be. 

Seeing they want 23 or more bays what places could accommodate Nationals? 

St. George 

Frost proof 

Tallegdega  

These are the ones most mentioned by my squad 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Sandbagger123 said:

Shot Nationals this year love it. While shooing we were trying to guess where the next one would be. 

Seeing they want 23 or more bays what places could accommodate Nationals? 

St. George 

Frost proof 

Tallegdega  

These are the ones most mentioned by my squad 

I don’t know that they “want” 23 bays? The next ones are already scheduled.  Frostproof and Talladega. 

I'd say Tulsa has enough bays. They've hosted before I believe. Also, Ft. Smith, AR has around 20 bays. They've hosted A4 recently.  

Can't really think of anywhere else that I've shot that could do it. 

Edited by B_RAD

3 minutes ago, mchapman said:

The sad thing is that most people are not even aware that we exist. We are stuck in between Vegas and St.George and everyone just drives by.

i know you guys are there,but truthfully i did not know you guys had so many bays. i know know the Tropang guys do matches out there.   Any chance you guys would host nats or an area match? always love an excuse to visit down south. 

6 minutes ago, Sandbagger123 said:

i know you guys are there,but truthfully i did not know you guys had so many bays. i know know the Tropang guys do matches out there.   Any chance you guys would host nats or an area match? always love an excuse to visit down south. 

I believe that we may be in the running to host the newly formed Southern Nevada Sectional. We have had the Icarus II and III matches here, along with two South west Regionals and the. IRC for ICORE. We are a USPSA, SCSC, and ICORE club.

53 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Tulsa also avoid the east/west coast complaints. There has to be a reason no one is holding national level matches there anymore..... Oh wait, I bet it's money.

It might help if they (Tulsa) would contact USPSA (Foley) and express an interest in hosting a Nationals.  I have it on good authority they have not so done ...

Number of bays is just the first bar a range needs to get over to host a nationals.  Local support and amenities are often harder.  Are there 20+ local ROs that will work the match?  Experienced help for setup/tear down?  Walls and props to do 25 stages?  Rain/shade covers and tables on all the bays?  Sufficient local hotels, airports, restaurants, etc, etc, etc.. 

I can think of a few places with plenty of berms, but not everything else needed for a Nats...  Anyone that has the total package should get with USPSA because they're always looking for places.

Yep, just cause a place has the facility doesn't mean they have the ability or the desire. And Tulsa gets an undeserved weather knock if you ask me. I've shot other sport's Nats there in awesome weather. And section matches. Hold Nats long enough in a place and you get Hurricane Nats like Frostproof had, or Dustbowl like SUPS.

You've got to ask yourself what's the ROI for your range or club if you agree to help put on Nats for uspsa? Because "love of the sport" isn't enough for most people.W

And touching on capable facilities, who says uspsa nats has to be 20+ stages? With there being a travel/check out stages day. Then 3 days of shooting, then travel day home you're into it 5 days for Nats. Personally, I'd be happy with the match being one day of 10 stages and be done with it. Ten well designed and ran stages should surely test who is the best of us.

Edited by rowdyb

Tulsa, while large enough, isn't the best equipped range. Sorry. I shoot there monthly. It's a good place but they'd need to make some improvements IMO. There is zero cover from the sun. Maybe that's not a deal breaker but I consider it a nice amenity and something that a range that's in the talks to host big matches should have.  

Also, there are some serious drainage issues.  You get a big rain at any range and I'm sure it'll be an issue but I've seen standing water in bays at USSA for several months.  

Saying all that, I'd like to see Nats there.  Just host it in October and cross your fingers it doesn't rain. 

To speak of SUPS. The dust was crazy bad. Not sure I'd want to go back there either. 

Frostproof is known for almost blinding sun over the berms and the local area not being great (from what I've heard. Never shot there)

So, doesn't sound like there's any place that's perfect. 

Edited by B_RAD

I shot the nationals in Missoula (05 or 06?) I thought they a good job probably I'd be interested if it ever went back there.

Word on the street is that they’ve been really trying to get one of them since they hosted Area 1 back in 2018 but I’m not sure what’s been going on since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

It might help if they (Tulsa) would contact USPSA (Foley) and express an interest in hosting a Nationals.  I have it on good authority they have not so done ...

That is what I heard from the big boys in Utah, no contact showing interest by Tulsa