Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Varget vrs AR-Comp?

DIYguy

Varget has been around for quite a while and lots of loaders are using it. So far I've been using AR-Comp for my 75g 223 BTHP bullets, H335 for my 55g loads. I use the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and single stage for the 75g match loads so metering is less critical for those loads. Live in MN and shooting temps can vary from the teens to high 80s (note shooting, I avoid the other extremes)

Local supplier has been out of Varget for some time, just now got some back in stock and I'm almost out of AR-Comp so deciding on what to pick up. I've done all my load ladders with AR-Comp and hate the idea of starting over but looking for what works. I have noticed BCG is REALLY dirty after couple hundred rounds plus looks like carbon build up. Wondering if others have found AR-Comp to be dirtier than Varget? How about temp sensitivity, I've read some say Varget is more sensitive to temp, website say not supposed to be.

22.5g of AR-Comp will give me 2600 fps +/- with 18" JP match barrel 1:8. Still not in love with the groups, not as consistent as I would like.

I'm sure there are new loaders that would like some real world info without having to dig through lots of old posts.

Opinions?

Edited by DIYguy

I like AR Comp more in .308 than I do in .233/5.56mm.  I exceeded the factory Barnes VorTX 155gr load by 100fps using AR Comp.

If there was a way to accurately mix AR Comp and Reloder 16 it would be an amazing powder.  They are two of the least temperature sensitive powders available.  

• 3 weeks later...

I use Varget under an 80gn Sierra for FT/R @600 yards.  I love it.  Works well and my load is good from mid-50's thru low to mid 80's.  Just a hair of elevation change.  I'm shooting it in a bolt gun with a 26" barrel.  I'm above max with no pressure.  

Now that Varget is easier to find, it's all I use in my precision .223.