Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best digital calibers and Chrono?

chgofirefighter

I have a set of these. I think they are the best you get for less than $100.

iGaging ABSOLUTE ORIGIN 0-6" Digital Electronic Caliper - IP54 Protection/Extreme Accuracy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INL0BTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0fTMDbDSMXFFS

I also have a set of these. Good. But the iGaging are just a touch better.

Only from Amazon - Absolute Origin 0-6" Digital Electronic Caliper - Extreme Accuracy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2J551K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NiTMDbQ2JBM5M

I think the best chrono out there right now is the Labradar. Buy once cry once. If you wait till Black Friday and luck across a Brownells 10% of sale, which I did, you can get the plate, radar, and case for less than $500. It’s only a month away. I also have a the Caldwell chrono and and CED Pro Chrono. All chronos give you the same info. But for ease of use, and the wide range of environments you can use it in the LabRadar is tough to beat. I use it indoors at the gun club. Something I could never do with a standard chrono. Great for load development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you don’t spend the $$$ on a Labradar, then go ProChrono Digital. Hands down.

Had my pro chrono for over a decade and it’s always worked accurately, in every lighting condition. Every time.

Agreed. The pro chrono Digital is very accurate and so easy to use. I only use it once or twice a year if I change a component so me spending $500 would be dumb.

I have had a cheap set of digital calipers from Brian’s store for 10 years now. They work fine.

Agreed on the ProChrono, use mine all the time and it's been great.

On calipers, most of the suggestions above seem to be on the cheap end. If you want good, it's hard to go wrong with Mitutoyo. Their "Absolute" series is really good; I use a 6" version for machining that is also a great choice for handloading. Price is around $100. 

Here is one for $90: https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-196-30-Advanced-Measuring-Resolution/dp/B00IG46NL2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=10R8KCG47O2IQ&keywords=mitutoyo+absolute+digital+caliper&qid=1570470838&s=hi&sprefix=mitutoyo+absolu%2Ctools%2C229&sr=1-4

Edited by Yondering

The Labradar is certainly nice and it seems to be more consistent since it is not affected by the lighting conditions. We are also seeing them more and more at major matches. It only takes going minor or subminor at one match to make the Labradar a good insurance policy.  

For calipers I have been using these for a few years now, Mitutoyo 500-752-10 Digital Calipers - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SG7PHK/ref=tnp_emaildp_1

These say they are currently unavailable, but it looks like they may have a newer model or something slightly different - Mitutoyo 500-752-20.

There are a bunch of options out there, this is just what I use.

6 hours ago, RePete said:

Caliper?  I say Starrett.  https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/EC799B-6~150

Chrono?  I say PACT Professional, but there are other good ones.  Labradar isn't one of them.  I have seen 3 go down, at the same tiime,   at a Major match.  All with known but not fixed (patched) problems.

I have used my Pro Chrono for over 7 years with good results...  It predicts comparitive results for most of the major matches that I shoot...  I have no reason to think about getting a LabRadar chrono...  However...

They have always seemed like a great piece of technology to me...  I've thought about getting one from time to time, but just can't seem to justify it...  And now there are problems with them?  Three LabRadars failing at the same time at a major match is unacceptable...  and just because the company is too lazy to update their firmware?  There must be more to it than that... 

What went wrong with them?

FWIW...

Had my LabRadar for a year. Used weekly. Never an issue. Followed directions (which I know some people have an issue with), works as advertised. If your not using the unit often then yes, it’s probably advisable to get a cheaper unit. I have shot rounds across all three of the chronographs in the same sitting and they were all within a few FPS of each other. Definitely within the margin of error.

Calipers have been dropped on cement floor and used almost daily. Don’t baby them at all. They are solid and well constructed. Still hold perfect zero. I think I’d save the $50 unless I was measuring something that required next level accuracy.

Everyone has anecdotal story’s about this thing or that. The technologies we’re talking about are all pretty proven at this point. Unless you’re buying total crap, any of the afore mentioned suggestions will serve you well.

YMMV

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, inkballedtarget said:

The Labradar is certainly nice and it seems to be more consistent since it is not affected by the lighting conditions. We are also seeing them more and more at major matches. It only takes going minor or subminor at one match to make the Labradar a good insurance policy.  

For calipers I have been using these for a few years now, Mitutoyo 500-752-10 Digital Calipers - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SG7PHK/ref=tnp_emaildp_1

These say they are currently unavailable, but it looks like they may have a newer model or something slightly different - Mitutoyo 500-752-20.

I actually was looking at this Calipers since they're Japanese quality and not some chinese crap~ 

1 hour ago, chgofirefighter said:

I actually was looking at this Calipers since they're Japanese quality and not some chinese crap~ 

Best comment of the day. I love my Mitutoyo's. They hold a zero like no one else and I have ultimate faith in them. 

But might I recommend some that are available/ (https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-196-30-Advanced-Measuring-Resolution/dp/B00IG46NL2/ref=pd_sbs_328_2/142-1273570-0507025?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00IG46NL2&pd_rd_r=ec640cf5-d859-4c33-9458-637a70f9b7b5&pd_rd_w=afvrc&pd_rd_wg=vud4b&pf_rd_p=d66372fe-68a6-48a3-90ec-41d7f64212be&pf_rd_r=92NMX3Q9R9MHFE8QPCT2&psc=1&refRID=92NMX3Q9R9MHFE8QPCT2)

13 hours ago, RePete said:

Caliper?  I say Starrett.  https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/EC799B-6~150

Chrono?  I say PACT Professional, but there are other good ones.  Labradar isn't one of them.  I have seen 3 go down, at the same tiime,   at a Major match.  All with known but not fixed (patched) problems.

Just out of curiosity, what are the 'known but not fixed (patched) problems' or is that just hear say?

Edited by Ming the Merciless

9 hours ago, inkballedtarget said:

For calipers I have been using these for a few years now, Mitutoyo 500-752-10 Digital Calipershttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SG7PHK/ref=tnp_emaildp_1

The 752-20 Mitutoyo (for ~$165) are what I use for machining, but the functional difference between those and the $90 196-30 model I linked above is mainly the water/coolant/oil resistance which isn't a big deal for reloading, so I recommended the cheaper of those two. The other difference is the 752-20 model turns on when you move the scale (rather than pushing a button) and is auto-off; kind of nice but not worth the price difference IMO. 

Both are very good quality.

Someone above commented on not losing zero if you drop them - that's one very good reason to go with digital calipers rather than dial calipers. As a machinist, I've dropped my share of dial calipers, and it usually kills them. Digital calipers are much more tolerant of being dropped, even the cheap models, but the quality difference of something like that $90 Mitutoyo is worth it if you can afford it IMO. With that said, if a guy has to go cheap, you can still do well with a $30-$50 set if you shop carefully, just recognize it's a quality difference of Lee vs Dillon. 

19 hours ago, RePete said:

They all went black and wouldn't reboot.  The batteries were new.

Lots of long range shooters set their Labradar chronos up on our 100 yard Public Line...  It's one of the few chronos that lends itself to chronoing on a standard lane...  They all use separate, external battery packs...  Not sure if that would have helped in your case.

4 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Lots of long range shooters set their Labradar chronos up on our 100 yard Public Line...  It's one of the few chronos that lends itself to chronoing on a standard lane...  They all use separate, external battery packs...  Not sure if that would have helped in your case.

Lab radar uses 8 AA batteries, those didn’t even last my first session, after about 10 mins of the radar on, it was dead. An external battery pack is a must. 

Of the four brands I have used, I strongly prefer the ProChrono Digital, with a Bluetooth adapter, or built in.  It is by far the most forgiving chrono, and even works well for shotshells if you are 8' away.

Calipers are a different story.  You can get by with a good $30 set from China.  Just be aware that the rack teeth are not as precisely machined as the quality ones.  So you may be off by .002" or .003" at a particular measurement, unless you have calibrated them for a specific measurement.  Dial calipers have an additional source of error by up to .001" per rotation of the hand.  If you are interested in accuracy to .001", spend the $90~$150 it takes to get it.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:32 PM, Yondering said:

The 752-20 Mitutoyo (for ~$165) are what I use for machining, but the functional difference between those and the $90 196-30 model I linked above is mainly the water/coolant/oil resistance which isn't a big deal for reloading, so I recommended the cheaper of those two. The other difference is the 752-20 model turns on when you move the scale (rather than pushing a button) and is auto-off; kind of nice but not worth the price difference IMO. 

Both are very good quality.

Someone above commented on not losing zero if you drop them - that's one very good reason to go with digital calipers rather than dial calipers. As a machinist, I've dropped my share of dial calipers, and it usually kills them. Digital calipers are much more tolerant of being dropped, even the cheap models, but the quality difference of something like that $90 Mitutoyo is worth it if you can afford it IMO. With that said, if a guy has to go cheap, you can still do well with a $30-$50 set if you shop carefully, just recognize it's a quality difference of Lee vs Dillon. 

I will defer to your expertise as I am no machinist. Based on what you have said and if i had it to over again i would go with the 196-30. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Shep said:

I've never owned a set of digital calipers. I've been using starrett 120a6 for a while and they seem to be good. Is there a reason reloaders avoid the dial ? 

No reason to avoid dial calipers, even cheap ones.  Being .001" to .003" off is not big deal when reloading pistol cartridges with sane loads.

Hell, it ain't that big a deal to be off that much even when reloading rifle cartridges for precision use.

I use cheap digital calipers for years. But must say, I also own a gage block set (Mitutoyo Grade 2) and I check my calipers all the time to make sure they are still working correctly.

Found that the cheap ones are as good as my Mitutoyo one...

Same for my digital scale. I got a check weight set and confirmed the weights on our analytical balances at work. Scale was from Amazon, and I may have spend as much as $20 for it.

It really doesn't matter if you spend a lot of money on a scale or a caliper, the important thing is to check them on a regular basis to make sure they are still right on!!

I have had good luck with the igaging calipers.  They have always given consistent results.  Not sure how well they take abuse as I haven't dropped them or anything.  

If you plan on using them for rifle cartridges with the hornady comparator, get the ones longer than 6 inches.  That way you have a little more to hold onto when measuring long cartridges.

As far as chronos, I have the pro chrono, the CED M2 and the magneto speed (rifle use only).   I have lined up the CED M2 and the pro chrono and both gave similar results.  For this reason I mainly use the pro chrono, as it's compact, quicker to set up than the CED M2 and the 9v battery will last all season.