Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Seating depth die Micro adjustable?

I am considering changing to Micrometer type of seating die?? I have a super 1050. I want to get away from having to loosen the nut and move the die and recheck in order to change the seating depth. Which is best and do they save a lot of time?? And are they easy to use?  Thanks, JD

Edited by JDIllon

I am considering changing to Micrometer type of seating die?? I have a super 1050. I want to get away from having to loosen the nut and move the die and recheck in order to change the seating depth. Which is best and do they save a lot of time?? And are they easy to use?  Thanks, JD
I've got the Redding on a RL1000 and it's been great. It's been very accurate and fast to adjust. Only thing I did was bevel the opening to help the bullets line up when seating for higher speed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I recently bought a Super 1050 that has a Lee seating die that allows you to twist/adjust the die with your fingers rather than loosening the nut.  I LOVE how easy it is to adjust OAL.  But, as mopar says, the bullet has to be almost perfectly straight or it causes it to bind.  The Dillon die, while more of a PITA to adjust, it is much faster in the long run.

I recently bought a Super 1050 that has a Lee seating die that allows you to twist/adjust the die with your fingers rather than loosening the nut.  I LOVE how easy it is to adjust OAL.  But, as mopar says, the bullet has to be almost perfectly straight or it causes it to bind.  The Dillon die, while more of a PITA to adjust, it much faster in the long run.
Yes that's what I ran into. I chucked mine in the lathe and beveled it like the dillon dies and it's been flawless now.

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

The Dillon die, while more of a PITA to adjust, it much faster in the long run.

Plus, if you get a bullet jammed in it, you can simply drop the insert without having to re-adjust everything.  If you were changing bullets a lot, then a mic seating die might be worth it.  I have a Redding comp die, it lives in the drawer.  The Dillon die just works.  YMMV  

1 hour ago, moparnut88 said:

Yes that's what I ran into. I chucked mine in the lathe and beveled it like the dillon dies and it's been flawless now.

I may take mine to the gun shop today to see if they can bevel mine as well.......

Thanks Guys, just what I wanted to know!! Sounds like I will just stay with what I have. A lot of my bullets are a little tilted. I load a lot of coated bullets and they don't seem to always sit straight.  JD

On 10/7/2019 at 1:35 PM, JDIllon said:

Thanks Guys, just what I wanted to know!! Sounds like I will just stay with what I have. A lot of my bullets are a little tilted. I load a lot of coated bullets and they don't seem to always sit straight.  JD

I got my Dillon seating die installed this week and man it makes a huge difference on speed/ease of loading.