Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke my ejector and need a new one. Tips please.

nikdanja

I feel comfortable doing the work myself and am probably gong to go with Dawson precision.  Just drift out the old pin to pop the old out and drill a hole for the new pin and ejector right?

My my question is this, what are you “fitting” the ejector to?  Are you just making sure that the rounds don’t hit the bottom of the ejector when fully seated? 

Any suggestions would be great. 

Yes you should check that the rounds and or mags don't hit the bottom of the ejector. 

I like the EGW extended ejectors. They have extra material so you can blend the back of the ejector and contour it to match your frame and slide.  The leg does need to have a notch drilled to keep it in place (Dawson sells the drill bit for both 1911 and 2011 sized pins).  Check if the ejector sits all the way down onto the frame.  The posts of the ejector has a radius on it so you may need to bevel the frame so there isn't a gap between the ejector and frame.  Fitting may be required so that the inner side doesn't contact the hammer.  The top and outer portions may need to be fit to the dimensions of the slide.  The face needs to be cut, have you googled the angles you need?

6 hours ago, shred said:

Use the left-handed drill bit to drill the 'notch'.  Pulls the ejector down rather than pushing it up while cutting.

This. 

I ordered the Dawson drill bit and it was about as easy as anything on a 2011 can be.

Dawson even has a video thats less than 3 minutes long if i remember right. 

open or limited?

if 40, i would recommend grinding the ejector down pretty short. I can't think of any good reason to use an extended ejector on a 40, and the extra length creates more leverage, which imho increases the chance of breakage. I broke the OEM one, and then the warranty replacement, so I fit the 3rd one myself and made it much shorter (still longer than a standard ejector like on my backup Edge tho).

6 hours ago, motosapiens said:

open or limited?

if 40, i would recommend grinding the ejector down pretty short. I can't think of any good reason to use an extended ejector on a 40, and the extra length creates more leverage, which imho increases the chance of breakage. I broke the OEM one, and then the warranty replacement, so I fit the 3rd one myself and made it much shorter (still longer than a standard ejector like on my backup Edge tho).

How do you know if you’ve taken off enough material?

13 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

How do you know if you’ve taken off enough material?

keep going until it stops ejecting, then add another mm or two back on.  ;)

if you look at a stock sti edge ejector (or any standard 1911) they are pretty darned small. I wasn't brave enough to grind a new part down *that* small, but i did make it around half the length of the extended one that came on my gun. If that one breaks too, I guess i'll go shorter next time. The gun still ejects very forcefully.

you might even consider just fitting an old school stock length and test it to see if it works (i bet it will).

1 hour ago, sauza45 said:

I have never broken a Brazos elector in 40 or 38 super comp. I think how you break ejectors is when you seat a mag and it hits the ejector.

you would think that, but it seems pretty challenging to over-insert the mag with the slide forward, and most 2011's (including mine) don't lock back. Additionally, there was no sign of contact on the underside of the ejector.

of course if you use a non-extended ejector, it's darned near impossible for the mag to hit it anyway. I blame my issue entirely on the length of the ejector.