Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One bullet for two games...HELP

Pickin

Hello All,

I shoot USPSA and multi gun.  I do not favor one or the other.  I would like to use my STI (40 S&W) for both sports.  My thought is one gun for both and I will get a little bit better.  

As of right now I will finish out my USPSA season with 205 grain Syntech.  I would like to use 200 grain when I start to reload.  Would it be wise to use that heavy of a bullet for both sports or should I drop it down to 165 or 180?  I want to be consistent across both sports.

Thanks 

Edited by Pickin

I used to do the same in .40,  Montana Gold 180 JHP with N320 for USPSA Major and a Montana Gold 165 JHP with considerably less N320 for 3 gun.  The minor load shot very soft, I didn't have to resight the pistol between types of matches.

Then I put together a 9mm top end for the same gun and haven't looked back.  There IS a reason so many use a 9mm for 3 gun.

I run a 180gr for USPSA, then only change to a 155gr (everything else stays the same) for an IDPA load. My USPSA load is 174pf and my IDPA load is 140pf.

For a while, I ran 180s in both, but got tired of changing the powder measure. It was a full grain less on the minor load with 180gr (still making about 140pf).

When I load 9mm Minor and Major, I use different bullets so its easy to tell them apart, visually.

If you're going to stick with .40 for both sports, I'd use the heavy bullet for USPSA and get a

different, lighter, bullet for MultiGun.

BUT, as Ming mentioned, I'd go with a 9mm for MG.

Your major PF load is up to you. I never saw the point of 200's for USPSA, ( good for pins though) In fact in my 6" gun I went to 170's Just felt like slide was too slow and a CATHUNK CATHUNK feel. Think you arew just spending more money for no gain with the 200's.

Know nothing about 3 gun but assume it is a minor PF game..
What will really work well for you is to develop a fast powder 180 gr major load for USPSA,, then get the same companies 155's of the same profile. Can get it in different color these days.
Change nothing else on your press, same powder, same OAL,, you will end up with a 140ish pf load that has same point of impact, near same velocity, still cycles and feeds the same, just has a bit lighter recoil, and saves you some bullet money.

8 hours ago, Pickin said:

@Joe4d @zzt

What company are you using for both 180 and 155 grain bullets?  I like that idea vs using a Major Power for multi gun. 

Rainier (no longer available), X-Treme, Montana Gold and a couple of poly coated options.  I really liked the Gen 1 Precision bullets.  The Gen 2 are also good.  Rainier, MG and Precision were the most accurate in my gun.

14 hours ago, cheby said:

Did anybody try 165gr instead of 155? Wondering what PF I'd get with 165g bullets

165s just adds more recoil and slower slide action.  Here are the results from testing light bullet weights with the same powder charge.  165 - 140 PF.  155 - 131 PF.  135 - 109 PF.

Had I substituted a 165 for the 180 in my major load, I'd have been around 155 PF.  There is no point in shooting a 155 PF minor load.  I stayed with a 155 at 140-144 PF (depending on powder) because it shot to the same POI as my major load, and I didn't have to change recoil springs.  When I stopped shooting Limited I lowered the powder charge (and recoil spring) and shot the 155gr load above.  At 131 PF it is a great load.

Edited by zzt

3 hours ago, zzt said:

165s just adds more recoil and slower slide action.  Here are the results from testing light bullet weights with the same powder charge.  165 - 140 PF.  155 - 131 PF.  135 - 109 PF.

Had I substituted a 165 for the 180 in my major load, I'd have been around 155 PF.  There is no point in shooting a 155 PF minor load.  I stayed with a 155 at 140-144 PF (depending on powder) because it shot to the same POI as my major load, and I didn't have to change recoil springs.  When I stopped shooting Limited I lowered the powder charge (and recoil spring) and shot the 155gr load above.  At 131 PF it is a great load.

So with the same powder charge and OAL:

180gr - Major PF (Assuming 170-173)

165gr - 140 PF

155 gr - 131PF

135gr - 109 PF

Thanks

25 minutes ago, cheby said:

So with the same powder charge and OAL:

180gr - Major PF (Assuming 170-173)

165gr - 140 PF

155 gr - 131PF

135gr - 109 PF

Thanks

No.  The 165, 155 and 135gr PFs were with a 3.3gr charge of e3.   3.7gr under a 180 made 172PF.  3.7 under a 155 made 140PF.  I tried a 165 over 3.7gr but didn't like the recoil.  I didn't chrono, but estimate 155PF.