Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NM sight size advice

RAZZ

I would like to pick up a NM front and rear sight set for three gun and high-power matches. Bushmaster has front sights in .052, .062, and .072. Rear sights in .036 up to whatever. I have 20/70 vision in my dominant eye and I wear prescription glasses while shooting. The matches I will be shooting will probably be limited to no more than 200 yards. Any advice on size combonations that work well for you? Thanks...

bennie's front sight is a tiny .035.  The front sight on my FAL has been turned to .040.  Accurscy Speaks makes a .050 front sight which I like a lot.

I like rear apertures smaller than the stock M16A2 sight.  I think mine are .048 for the small and .070 for the large.  .036 might be a bit small for rapid transitions  but then again maybe not.  I would get the smallest and then drill it out to what you like.   Remember you'll want some sort of ghost ring for 3 gunning but not highpower.

• 2 weeks later...

The insert slips in the big aperture of an A2 rear sight, it's held in place with an Oring .

In the set, you have three inserts with three different apertures, you can drill a bit if you want to open up a little bit the hole.

It works, it's cheap, what could we ask more ?

DVC

Julien

:)

I have noticed that some of the rear sights don't allow the sight's flip-up dual apperture feature to function any more. Either the hood covers up the other hole, or screw in discs won't allow one side of the leaf to lay flat against the top of the carry handle if you tried to flip appertures. DPMS, however, appears to have a sight with a standard ghost ring size combined with a machined second smaller (than normal) hole. No discs or hoods. That might be the way I go.

The DPMS sight has both holes on the same plane. The sight looks identical to an A2 L -shaped leaf. The large "ghost-ring" hole is the same size as an A2, but the smaller long distance hole is simply milled smaller from the blank.  I think you can get it in three different sizes, all smaller than the standard A2 size hole--and drop in spec (supposedly). They also have a hooded NM rear sight, but it comes with the previously mentioned problem of eliminating the ability to see through the other peep. I think the replacement leaf with smaller peep and standard ghost size was about $9 or so.