Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gn flat point 9mm powder

sig2009

I just picked up some 147gn fmj flat point bullets. Anyone use them? I can't seem to find any threads doing a search. Just wondering what powders to try and what charge to start. I would most likely be loading these for my CZ Czechmate so I will need some gas behind them to operate the comp. 

I tried out the FMJ FP Matchwinners from RMR.

3.5 grs Titegroup at 1.130 gave me 920 FPS out of a G34.

I use HP-38 as well in 147 grain loads, just didn’t get a chance to test it yet. Neighborhood of 3.6-3.8 grs should get you where you need to be.

A small charge of fast burning powder is good in most 147 gr 9MM loads.

Disregard, I didn’t see the Czechmate part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be mindful when loading those flat point 147 Gr bullets for your czechmate. Unless the throat has been reamed, you’ll be forced to load them short because of the shape or ogive of those bullets.

By the way, what brand of 147 flat points are you going to use?

I have used RMR FP match winners too and loaded them with 3.5 Gr of sport pistol. Ave FPS was 890 for 130 PF out of my shadow 2.

17 minutes ago, George16 said:

Be mindful when loading those flat point 147 Gr bullets for your czechmate. Unless the throat has been reamed, you’ll be forced to load them short because of the shape or ogive of those bullets.

By the way, what brand of 147 flat points are you going to use?

I have used RMR FP match winners too and loaded them with 3.5 Gr of sport pistol. Ave FPS was 890 for 130 PF out of my shadow 2.

I just got 500 of these from American Reloading to try.

9mm-147gr-fn-fmj-500ct.jpg

1 minute ago, sig2009 said:

I just got 500 of these from American Reloading to try.

9mm-147gr-fn-fmj-500ct.jpg

Looks like you might be able to load them a little bit longer since the bullets’ ogive/profile is not as blunt compared to the RMR FP match winners. I would recommend making some dummy rounds and doing the plunk test to ascertain the longest OAL you can load them for your czechmate.

Personally, I’d rather use 115 or 124 Gr bullets to have more powder/gas to work the compensator. Using a 147 Gr bullet doesn’t allow you as much powder in the case compared to the 115/124 Gr bullets. More powder = more gas to work your computer.

8 minutes ago, George16 said:

Looks like you might be able to load them a little bit longer since the bullets’ ogive/profile is not as blunt compared to the RMR FP match winners. I would recommend making some dummy rounds and doing the plunk test to ascertain the longest OAL you can load them for your czechmate.

Personally, I’d rather use 115 or 124 Gr bullets to have more powder/gas to work the compensator. Using a 147 Gr bullet doesn’t allow you as much powder in the case compared to the 115/124 Gr bullets. More powder = more gas to work your computer.

Ya. I know. I was having issues with the Czechmate cycling until I started using HS6.

Ya. I know. I was having issues with the Czechmate cycling until I started using HS6.

You want to use slow burning powders like HS6, Power Pistol, Blue Dot etc. if you want to have enough gas to work the comp.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sell them to a Production shooter and buy a lighter 115-124gr bullet, with one of the powders [mention=29800]himurax13[/mention] listed pushing it.

Heavy bullets and compensators do not pair well together, end of story - if you care about performance.

Do you prefer 115 or 124 for making major and does a Hollow Point make that much of a difference.

12 hours ago, himurax13 said:

Do you prefer 115 or 124 for making major and does a Hollow Point make that much of a difference.

Not an open shooter, but what I've seen in the 9 Major threads, it seems to be a matter of personal preference, though the 115s should make more gas.
Hollow points are supposed to deposit less lead in compensators because they don't have exposed lead bases(compared to FMJs); CMJs would also not have exposed bases.

Not an open shooter, but what I've seen in the 9 Major threads, it seems to be a matter of personal preference, though the 115s should make more gas.
Hollow points are supposed to deposit less lead in compensators because they don't have exposed lead bases(compared to FMJs); CMJs would also not have exposed bases.
Not what I was asking but thanks anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, himurax13 said:

115 will let you use more powder but in Major that bullet is screaming through your barrel. 

124/5 are nice. You can use them in 9maj or 38SC. Plenty of powder to work the comp. 

I don’t use JHP because media will get in the front when you tumble to get lube off. They are more accurate than most but could cause malfunctions if media gets into your gun.

I've been using Blue Bullet 125gr TC. Feeds good and pretty accurate. 

• 3 weeks later...