Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Performance Center M&P 40 M2.0 5" project

tohm

I decided to buy one of these as a winter project for 3 gun, should get it in about three more days. That said I am looking at the options for magazine base pads and mag well extensions to start with. Apex seems to be the source for triggers and barrels when and if I choose to go that way, but for now the best options on magazines seem to be using the OEM with an extension. The two I have come across are Taylor Freelance and Springer Precision.

Are there any recommendations or advantages of one over the other?

There are also extensions from Taran Tactical and Floyd's Custom--and probably more than just those companies.

I would say that a big consideration would be the method of disassembly. Some use screws & plates while others use pins & set screws.

Make sure you are checking compatibility with the basepad/magwell combo you choose.

A year or two ago, the Springer magwells with TTI basepads worked great. Had that combo for years. Now they do not. It seems TTI has slightly changed the design on the basepads.

If you buy this combo in 2019 w/ new components, know you will have to shave off metal on one of the components. Its a shame because I feel those are the best respective magwell/basepad out for the M&P.

Springer basepad w/ Springer magwell work. 

The compatibility note is what concerned me so I was trying to stay with a combination without mods. The TTI seems to not work with either without modification. 

Springer makes great products, and the combo they have will work flawlessly.  The basepads are just more work to take off compared to TTI.

The 140mm and 170mm extensions use an allen-key/set screw to secure the basepad to the magazine. That could get annoying really quickly if you clean your mags every-time they hit the deck. Their .25" basepads use the standard removal method. 

Edited by Avedis

@tohm, I've been toying with the idea of a M&P 40 M2.0 for USPSA limited so I'd really love to hear how it works out for you. I already have the 9mm version and really like it but want to try out limited (I've been doing production) so I'm day dreaming about a budget limited option.

I have an STI Edge for Limited in USPSA, and two guys I know swear by these so that is what got me going on this project. the trigger is going to be a challenge but they say the Apex triggers are very good so we will see.

Ha, that is a challenge. I've never ran a 2011 either, so I'd be very interested in any comparisons you can give. I'm only about a year into competitive shooting so at this point the firearm probably isn't the limiting factor but if the M&P 40 has no chance of being competitive, even at local matches, perhaps I should pass.

I think the M&P(without the thumb safety) and Glock have one important advantage for 3 gun. That is when you place the gun in the drop box when going to rifle or shotgun you don't have to worry about the safety disengaging like a Shadow or 2011. I always have slowed down there just to make sure that doesn't happen. 

I had the pleasure of a DQ for that. I removed the ambidextrous safety and made it a habit to ditch it on the right side.

I like the STI’s they are great! They are pricey and a full custom is really pricey. You have to admire those who are good enough to get all that is in one out of it.

I am pretty sure a good M&P tuned up will have more capability in it than I am capable of wringing out of it. But since I have another one for home defense the range will get me accustomed to handling and finding most of the flaws in a less critical situation.

8 hours ago, BryceA said:

Ha, that is a challenge. I've never ran a 2011 either, so I'd be very interested in any comparisons you can give. I'm only about a year into competitive shooting so at this point the firearm probably isn't the limiting factor but if the M&P 40 has no chance of being competitive, even at local matches, perhaps I should pass.

An M&P can be very competitive. It's more about the shooter, not the equipment. 

1 hour ago, Matt1911 said:

An M&P can be very competitive. It's more about the shooter, not the equipment. 

That is my gut instinct but not many folks are running M&P's around here. For limited most folks are running some form of 2011 platform and in production CZ S2 dominates with a smattering of poly-service pistols, mostly Glock and Sig, picking up the remainder. I also don't see much M&P representation in online media, Youtube match videos etc, so it has me wondering if there is something I'm missing.

Polymer pistols seem to be what I would call "flavor of the day" with Glock being the exception. A few years ago a lot of people used the Xd, then came the 1st generation M&P, now it's the Sig P320. Most of us want the latest iteration to see if it will give us an edge. I'll admit I am guilty of doing the same sometimes even though the reality is that I would have been better buying more ammo for practice. I use an M&P 2.0 for home defense and carry so this last match I switched so I could run it to verify reliability plus get used to it in a less critical situation.

Edited by m39nut

10 hours ago, BryceA said:

That is my gut instinct but not many folks are running M&P's around here. For limited most folks are running some form of 2011 platform and in production CZ S2 dominates with a smattering of poly-service pistols, mostly Glock and Sig, picking up the remainder. I also don't see much M&P representation in online media, Youtube match videos etc, so it has me wondering if there is something I'm missing.

The main problem with the M&P vs the Glock, is the M&P has had barrels that weren't accurate so to remedy that, you had spend more money to get an Apex barrel. 

Glocks are accurate enough from the factory that you don't need a new barrel. 

Triggers are a different deal. The stock M&P triggers suck, but they can be easily worked over or go with the Apex kit for full on awesome. 

Glock triggers also suck, and can be worked over as well, but I've never felt a Glock trigger (stock, worked over, or aftermarket) that could compare to the Apex kit for the M&P

Most people just go with the Glock because they're everywhere, and so are the parts. 

When I went out to buy a polymer pistol I looked hard at both M&P and Glock the feel of the M&P felt better to me (probably grip angle and feel), not too worried about trigger as those are the most tune-able parts. After a couple trips to Cabela’s I decided to buy a M&P and after taking it to the range I decided to buy this project gun. I know folks who shoot Glocks and LOVE them it is more about personal preference and some folks shoot Glocks for their job and develop a comfort with them. So there is no right or wrong just preferences. Get what wou can afford and spend time at the range competing and practicing is the best plan! IMO

I am deep in the M&P ecosystem and run them in USPSA and 3-Gun. Like others, I love the ergonomics - the M&P feels like it was made for my hand.

For USPSA Limited I have an M&P40 5" Pro with Apex FSS trigger, SSS brass magwell, a 2.0 grip insert, and a tungsten guide rod. It is no STI, but not too far off - I shot about the same scores with both guns and eventually got rid of my STI. The advantage for me is that the M&P is dead nuts reliable, runs regular-length ammo, fits the same belt rig as I use for 3-Gun, and feels the same as my 3-Gun and carry gun setups. I've even carried it loaded with 195PF loads when hiking in bear country.

For 3-Gun I run an M&P9 5" Pro with Apex FSS trigger and semi-fit barrel, an old SSS aluminum magwell (they fit TTI bases just fine - SSS changed the dimensions on their newer magwells), a 2.0 grip insert, and a regular steel guide rod. For 3-Gun. I prefer the lighter weight of this setup. Like the M&P40, this pistol is boringly reliable... I just shake the rocks out of the magazines and carry on.

I own several other M&Ps - for specialized 3-Gun divisions, for carry (M&P9 2.0 Compact) and for home defense (M&P9 2.0 5"). The accuracy issue with the 9mm 1.0 was fixed with the 2.0 - they are now quite adequate for what we do, especially 3-Gun. I literally trust my life to them, and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Unless you are all-in with .40S&W, or are shooting Heavy Metal, a 9mm version makes more sense for 3-Gun. As others have mentioned, a pistol without a manual safety makes a lot more sense due to the abandonment rules at most 3-Gun matches; the Apex FSS is close to a 1911 trigger but without the hazard of a manual thumb safety.

Here are my babies (photo predates the 2.0 grip inserts):

RFsCfyS.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Very nice! The reason for 40's is until about a month ago i never owned a 9mm so i always shot 40 heavy load for USPSA and a whimper for 3 gun it just worked with the STI I have about 7,500 bullets and about 150 lbs of 40 brass. And about 3,000 loaded rounds.

This weekend my M&P is a week late from when it was due in. I called Saturday the $50 deposit (which they did not ask for but i offered because i think it is the right thing to do) the credit card did not go thru, so they did not order it! I said i called and checked on it and they said oh  ya its not in yet but give it another couple days. TWICE! Now no gun I am so ticked off i told them to forget it.

I called Big Box Store next and they said it will be special order and X person will call you. Guess what no call!

Maybe when i cool off i will make another attempt to buy one. Your story sounds compelling

Just to add, I have a S&W M&P Gen 1 M&P 40 PRO 5 inch with full APEX treatment. 99% of the time I shoot it with a 40 to 9mm STORMLAKE conversion barrel. No changes other than barrel swap and 9mm magazine. Depends on your sport etc. on "legality" of using 40 to 9 conversion barrels. Just another piece if information. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for Floyd’s Custom shop gear. It’s well thought out and well made. He specializes in M&Ps. Good prices and service. 

disclosure- I know the guy but I don’t benefit in any way by endorsing him other than making a good product known.