Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wiland PCC Barrel


Recommended Posts

I just put a Wiland USA PCC barrel on my AR9 and was able to shoot a match for the first time with it today. That little barrel is the real deal. It weighs 15oz and felt like I had put a pivot point on the rifle just in front of the mag well. This is a Steel Challenge gun, and it made it handle great. No affiliation with them, but they are a great bunch to deal with and produce a really nice product. 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

$165 is a decent price for a light barrel like that but how does it compare to other lightweight options such as Taccom, JP, and MBX in terms of accuracy? I know the JP and MBX are twice the price.

 

The Wiland looks like like a 4" barrel with a permanent shroud/extension so I see how they got under a pound so I suppose a Taccom would be it's closest competitor in terms of pricing and design.

Link to comment

I am not sure how it compares accuracy wise with the others, but mine has been very accurate with my Steel Challenge loads. One thing that I felt was good with Wiland is that they will chamber the barrel to you loads if you send them dummy rounds. I have a couple of matches shot with it now as well as some practice sessions and I could not be happier with its performance. 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 11:43 AM, mellino19 said:

$165 is a decent price for a light barrel like that but how does it compare to other lightweight options such as Taccom, JP, and MBX in terms of accuracy? I know the JP and MBX are twice the price.

 

The Wiland looks like like a 4" barrel with a permanent shroud/extension so I see how they got under a pound so I suppose a Taccom would be it's closest competitor in terms of pricing and design.

That's not what the barrel looks like in the website pictures.  Looks to be a monolithic, tapered barrel.  Am I missing something.  Thinking about this barrel for my PCC.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, RickT said:

That's not what the barrel looks like in the website pictures.  Looks to be a monolithic, tapered barrel.  Am I missing something.  Thinking about this barrel for my PCC.

It is a 5.5 inch barrel with a 10.7 inch shroud if I am not mistaken. You can see on the barrel where it transitions from the rifled barrel to the shroud. I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose this barrel. 

Link to comment
56 minutes ago, nso123 said:

It is a 5.5 inch barrel with a 10.7 inch shroud if I am not mistaken. You can see on the barrel where it transitions from the rifled barrel to the shroud. I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose this barrel. 

I used the magnifier and I can see the transition.  It's very clever work and I did order one.  I'm a PCC hack (actually, at my age I'm also a SS hack), but the PCC is fun and I need every advantage I can get my hands on.  Ordered a Wiland for my wife's 10/22 as well.  Her stock KIDD rifle is great, but the 11 oz. 22lr barrel saves a ton of weight.

Link to comment

The load I'm currently using in my PCC is 145gr Bayout, 3.0gr SP, 1.12".  This makes (barely) 125 PF in my 9mm 1911.  Haven't chrono'ed in the PCC, but it cycles well with the RN bullet and OAL.  The CMMG is very soft with this load and might be softer in the fake 16" barrel?

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, cecil said:

I noticed that the Wiland barrel is not ramped according to the pictures... as is the Taccom 5.5" ULW barrel... is ramping a problem solver/advantage ?  

 

tia

I have not had any feeding issues with mine, so I am not sure that it is an issue.  I assume this could be platform specific.

Link to comment
22 hours ago, cecil said:

I noticed that the Wiland barrel is not ramped according to the pictures... as is the Taccom 5.5" ULW barrel... is ramping a problem solver/advantage ?  

 

tia

 

If you're unsure of PCC barrels without a feed ramp, just get the Taccom glock lower feed ramp that you install into the upper. I installed one in my upper made with a spikes slick side AR15 and a JP barrel, haven't had a single malfunction since I put in the ramp.

Link to comment
22 hours ago, cecil said:

the Wiland barrel has peaked my interest... anyone care to share some load info using 115gr & 124gr bullets ?? 

 

tia

 

Here's one from Wiland.  124 poly coated bullet over 2.8gr 231.  He says it shoots like a pellet gun.

Link to comment
23 hours ago, cecil said:

the Wiland barrel has peaked my interest... anyone care to share some load info using 115gr & 124gr bullets ?? 

 

tia

I just worked u p a load with 115 Berry's round nose and 4.0 gr of Sport Pistol.  It feels really light.  I am going to try it in a match Saturday and will have more feedback. 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 9:25 AM, cecil said:

I noticed that the Wiland barrel is not ramped according to the pictures... as is the Taccom 5.5" ULW barrel... is ramping a problem solver/advantage ?  

 

tia

Tim cut the ramp off my Taccom 9mm barrel because I'm using a Stern Defense mag adapter which has its own built in ramp.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, mellino19 said:

 

any follow up to this?

I have shot the new load in two matches so far, and it has worked well. Almost no dot bounce at all.  I think it may be possible to soften it up just a tad more without slowing cycling down, but I don't want to make any other changes until I move to the next classification.  I am just over a second from master, and have cut over 3 seconds since changing the load. 

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

115gr Acme, 3.0gr Sport Pistol, 1.11" OAL will cycle with the Taccom Extreme bolt and 3-stage buffer.  3.0gr is on the edge so after I run through a few hundred rounds I'll be loading 3.1gr.  Recoil is, to say the least, minimal and great for steel challenge.  I can't go any longer with the Acme bullets, but I've got some new cases that I'll use to experiment with OAL; my current lot of cases are worn out. 

 

Replaced AR-15  lower/Endomags with Foxtrot Mike lower/Glock mags.  Endomags cycled 100% but having to use empty mag to eject a chambered round was a bit inconvenient.

Edited by RickT
Link to comment
12 hours ago, RickT said:

115gr Acme, 3.0gr Sport Pistol, 1.11" OAL will cycle with the Taccom Extreme bolt and 3-stage buffer.  3.0gr is on the edge so after I run through a few hundred rounds I'll be loading 3.1gr.  Recoil is, to say the least, minimal and great for steel challenge.  I can't go any longer with the Acme bullets, but I've got some new cases that I'll use to experiment with OAL; my current lot of cases are worn out. 

 

Replaced AR-15  lower/Endomags with Foxtrot Mike lower/Glock mags.  Endomags cycled 100% but having to use empty mag to eject a chambered round was a bit inconvenient.

I have backed my load down to 3.2 grains of  Sport Pistol with the 115 Berry's. It is a 104PF and cycles perfectly. There are quite a few guys around here shooting a 95 grain bullet now. I may try some of those at some point when I run low on the 115s. 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...