Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caldwell G2 inbound

Should be arriving today, looking forward to chronoing new loads with it.  Already have the app on my phone.  :)  

I got fed up with my CED M2, with the IR sun screens.  I've had it for several years, last few years it became totally unreliable with E0 and E1 errors. Some time ago I sent it back to CED, of course they found nothing wrong.  Even got a new sensor recently, and swapped it around, still get errors. Tried a paper target in front as a blast shield (yeah, for 9 minor -_- ) , change distances, etc, etc, etc. Some times it wont even store a string.  Some times it works great for a string, or part of a string, other times it acts up from the get-go.  Some times I get E0/E1 error with the velocity, other times just the error.   Yes new battery, several times.  I am so done with it.  Rant off - sorry. 

Will post feedback once I get some time on it.  

I made the move to the G2 and its proving to be the best chrono I've had yet. The phone app is awesome. Bluetooth works reliably. The whole unit is easy to setup and use. Its awesome. Let us know how it goes for you.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Finally got to chrono some rounds today with my G2.  I love this thing!!!  Super simple, quick to set up, the app works wonderfully.  You can set up templates in it, open a template, chrono a load, save that as a group, then you can text or email that group.  I really like being able to email the data (also sends it via CSV file), so I can print it off and put it in my binder.  No more hand scribbled notes.  You can also input the bullet weight, and it will calculate the PF.  This thing is light years ahead of my CED M2.

Below is a load I was testing (tested in 3 guns, S2, 75, and MPX).

Created: 09/10/19 04:41 PM
Description: CZ Shadow 2 - Sport Pistol
Notes 1: 4.0 gr SP, BBI 125gr @ 1.100, Fed SPP
Notes 2:
Distance to Chrono(FT): 10.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight(gr): 125.00
Temp: 68 °F
BP: 1023.00 inHg
Altitude: 0.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
10    1074    320.21  134.25 
9    1083    325.60  135.38 
8    1083    325.60  135.38 
7    1081    324.40  135.12 
6    1086    327.40  135.75 
5    1082    325.00  135.25 
4    1086    327.40  135.75 
3    1079    323.20  134.88 
2    1061    312.50  132.62 
1    1080    323.80  135.00 
Average: 1079.5 FPS
SD: 7.4 FPS
Min: 1061 FPS
Max: 1086 FPS
Spread: 25 FPS
Shot/sec: 0.2
True MV: 1080 FPS
Group Size (in): 0.00

Attached is a screen shot.

IMG_0563.jpg

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, promtcy said:

Pretty sure the G2 is Bluetooth only. The Caldwell Precision Chrono uses a 3.5 mm audio jack on both ends. 

Yes, G2 is BT only.  Love mine, sooo much better than my CED M2.

15 minutes ago, promtcy said:

Pretty sure the G2 is Bluetooth only. The Caldwell Precision Chrono uses a 3.5 mm audio jack on both ends. 

11 minutes ago, GregJ said:

Yes, G2 is BT only.  Love mine, sooo much better than my CED M2.

Excellent thank you gentlemen! Looks like this will be in my immediate future as well.

• 1 month later...

Greg how do you feel the accuracy of the G2 unit has been for you? I've read a lot of reviews that report inconsistent velocities. Have you compared it side by side (or inline) with your old CED?

Would also be interested in any other users feedback. I love the app capability but if the unit doesn't give accurate readings it's a no go.

Edited by forty5cal1911

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 8:15 AM, forty5cal1911 said:

Greg how do you feel the accuracy of the G2 unit has been for you? I've read a lot of reviews that report inconsistent velocities. Have you compared it side by side (or inline) with your old CED?

Would also be interested in any other users feedback. I love the app capability but if the unit doesn't give accurate readings it's a no go.

Sorry, just saw this.  My CED Millinium 2 unit would not give me consistent readings, constant errors, etc, so I really was not interested in comparing the velocities, I just wanted something that would work and be reliable.  I will say the velocities from the G2 has been consistent with those from the few majors I've gone to since using it. 

11 hours ago, GregJ said:

Sorry, just saw this.  My CED Millinium 2 unit would not give me consistent readings, constant errors, etc, so I really was not interested in comparing the velocities, I just wanted something that would work and be reliable.  I will say the velocities from the G2 has been consistent with those from the few majors I've gone to since using it. 

Thanks Greg! That's what I wanted to hear.

• 2 months later...

I just got the G2 from amazon and used it yesterday. Very easy to setup and use. The blue tooth and iPhone app worked perfectly. Just remember to put in your zip code so that it get the correct local temperature, bp and elevation. And of course the bullet weight. U can store ur results and send them to email and print them out. Results were consistent with chrono stage at match last Saturday.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:10 PM, hiflyer51 said:

I just got the G2 from amazon and used it yesterday. Very easy to setup and use. The blue tooth and iPhone app worked perfectly. Just remember to put in your zip code so that it get the correct local temperature, bp and elevation. And of course the bullet weight. U can store ur results and send them to email and print them out. Results were consistent with chrono stage at match last Saturday.

What if the zip code is not in US will it still work as it should?

interested buyer outside US here

• 3 months later...