Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So how do you guys mark your brass?

random_guy7531

• 2 months later...

I mark all of my Brass Red with a sharpie.  I put them in a hundo case gauge. Run my fingers over the primers to check them and then run a fat trip sharpie across them all and flip them into a case. I have other colors for other loads 

Marking across the primer is great if your brass lands vertically.   It will allow you to distinguish your 38sc from your friend's brass. 

However, if you want an easier time finding your brass among the sea of 9mm, you need a circumferential mark around  the case. 

Dump a couple hundred cleaned cases into a plastic shoebox.

Give it a good squirt of Dykem Red spray

Put the lid on and shake.

Wait 10 minutes.

Load.

Leaves red crap on the gun and press, but it's way easier than any other marking method that isn't "don't"

59 minutes ago, shred said:

Dump a couple hundred cleaned cases into a plastic shoebox.

Give it a good squirt of Dykem Red spray

Put the lid on and shake.

Wait 10 minutes.

Load.

Leaves red crap on the gun and press, but it's way easier than any other marking method that isn't "don't"

Where do you find the Dykem?

2 hours ago, Balakay said:

Marking across the primer is great if your brass lands vertically.   It will allow you to distinguish your 38sc from your friend's brass. 

However, if you want an easier time finding your brass among the sea of 9mm, you need a circumferential mark around  the case. 

I mark mine across the primer for different loads and to know that it is mine if I pick it up.  I shoot 9 so I am not so worried if I get it back or not

On 1/14/2020 at 4:56 PM, GrumpyOne said:

Where do you find the Dykem?

McMaster, Grainger, Fastenal, MSC... the usual machine-shop-supply places.  IIRC the last cans I got were from a local place since the spray has to ship like spray paint.

The spray works better than the liquid, although you can make that work, it doesn't spread as well and takes a few coats of the shoebox before it sticks to the brass.

37 minutes ago, shred said:

McMaster, Grainger, Fastenal, MSC... the usual machine-shop-supply places.  IIRC the last cans I got were from a local place since the spray has to ship like spray paint.

The spray works better than the liquid, although you can make that work, it doesn't spread as well and takes a few coats of the shoebox before it sticks to the brass.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dykem+steel+blue&adgrpid=55062044854&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9ruAs6aG5wIVRNbACh0gCgE_EAAYASAAEgJuW_D_BwE&hvadid=409958519499&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9051565&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=14303012695903561687&hvtargid=kwd-297433850128&hydadcr=12189_11119263&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_3jh7so4i12_b