Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So how do you guys mark your brass?

random_guy7531

Hey everyone,

I've decided that next year Ill be switching from CO to Open. I've already picked up a used chaos to get me started, and I should very shortly have everything for my reloading setup. The main question I had was - how does everyone mark their brass to ensure you can easily find it? I know one person local to me marks the entire bottom of the case red, which makes it easy to find, but Im not sure how labor intensive it is to take a sharpie marker to entire case halves. I know some folks mark the primer face, and others used a sharpie around the circumference, but I'd be interested to hear if there is an easy (read: scalable) way to mark all of my fancy pants 38sc brass for recovery.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I use the DAA Automatic brass marker. It takes some finagling but it really works. One suggestion: Get the Sharpie Pro Markers (Sharpie 7073502392 Sharpie Chisel Tip Permanent Marker, Black, 12-Pack) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HXFZO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). 

They work really well, especially after you cut the tips a little bit to avoid contact between the two. 

Edited by Nevadazielmeister

Just took a look at the brass marker - that's pretty slick! (although spendier than I would have suspected). Do you find that the smaller lines from a sharpie like that are detectable? The way I had envisioned marking (and the way I saw some folks at BORCC last I was there) was with the full bottom half of the case being marked - from centerline down to headstamp. They were super easy to find even in the sand and dirt. Is that some open shooter being over the top dedicated with a pen? Or is there something similar to the DAA that does that? If not, Ill probably just look to get one of the DAA markers.

10 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

One suggestion: Get the Sharpie Pro Markers (Sharpie 7073502392 Sharpie Chisel Tip Permanent Marker, Black, 12-Pack) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HXFZO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). 

They work really well, especially after you cut the tips a little bit to avoid contact between the two. 

I initially went this route.  The Sharpie Brush Tip markers work a lot better. They create a broader, cleaner stripe

I have a socket attached to my battery drill  and a empty 9mm plastic case that you get when buying a box of bullets I fill it and spin the loaded bullet with the drill and hold a marker in my other hand and it spins the case and puts a ring around the case

Easiest way is to buy nickel brass. Starline makes it, but it's not available directly,  only through 3rd parties like Midway,  and it's expensive,  about $200 per thousand. But chances are nobody else will be using it.  To mark it, 

and check for high primers, I put the loaded rounds nose down in a plastic ammo box, run my finger over the primers to feel for high primers,  then use a wide sharpie to color the casehead. 

When I used to do it, I used Dykem mark up spray. I'd put loaded ammo in the plastic ammo trays and just spray them so the entire bottom half was bright red. No issues with FTF over almost 30k rounds.

Then I switched to 9 major and couldn't be happier.

12 hours ago, dons said:

Easiest way is to buy nickel brass

Turns out, midway was having a sale on their nickle plated 38sc! I got the last of it they had in stock at 18 cpc.

9 hours ago, Unregistered said:

I used Dykem mark up spray.

This is a fantastic idea - it does exactly what I was envisioning (much easier to search for red than lone cases with just a black band). I just didnt know the easiest way to go about it thanks!

FWIW, I did ping Adam to ask how much a 9mm upper would be - turns out my patience for policing brass is much less than expected.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:10 PM, zombywoof said:

9 major, let it lay.

Feels great

Yep

Don't mark it, don't want it back.

I did use to mark my .40 brass while it was still in the Hundo gauge.  A swipe with a fat sharpie and done.  Clean the Hundo every so often with Dawn dish soap.

I use the DAA automatic bullet marker as well. I had no luck though with regular sharpie markers and RangePanda's upgrade marker holder didn't help much either. Instead I use Sharpie's "Brush Tip" markers and they work like a charm. I strongly suggest getting these markers if you use this product. If your picking up your brass this is a MUST HAVE purchase in my opinion. It does everything for you as they come off your press, it's great. I'm marking 38sc but will likely leave 9mm major on the range.