Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate 9mm Major Load with WAC - Short Barrel ATM

Laxman2809

Hello Benos,

I am looking for a starting place for my 9mm major load for my Czechmate. I have WAC as the powder on hand. 

Currently my barrel has yet to be reamed, and I will have to load these to 9mm OAL spec 1.110. However feel free to share a long load recipe as well, as I will eventually be heading down that path. 

TIA

I get 1.145" out of my Czechmate barrel without having had it reamed.  I have WAC on hand but was not a fan of it for 9mm major.  Not enough gas being created as it is just a little too fast.  My load was 6.9gr under a 115gr bullet when I did load with WAC.  I have now settled on HS-6 but want to try some other slower powders as well.

Know it’s not apples to apples, and not really per your request, but I’d encourage you to extend the throat sooner rather than later based on my experience. I bought a Manson reamer and extended the throat of my G17 Open Gun barrel. I can now run my bulllets out to 1.160” (max for Glock mags). It allows me to put more powder in which in turn runs the comp better, and the accuracy went way up as well. I wasted a lot of time, powder, and bullets in load development for the shorter OAL. Cost me less than $50 and took 10 minutes. And it only took 10 minutes cause I went slow and removed a small amount of material at a time. Just something to think about. I’m using 115gr RMR JHP, 1.160”, 7.7 grs Silhouette 1488 FPS 13.7 SD / 55 ES 171.12 PF* (those numbers are from 45 rounds over the chronology).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, George16 said:

7 Gr of CFE pistol @ 1.150 using 115 Gr PD JHP.

Unfortunately just purchased 8lbs of WAC. Perhaps on my next 8 I will buy CFE Pistol. How are you liking the powder? Clean? Gassy Enough?

25 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I get 1.145" out of my Czechmate barrel without having had it reamed.  I have WAC on hand but was not a fan of it for 9mm major.  Not enough gas being created as it is just a little too fast.  My load was 6.9gr under a 115gr bullet when I did load with WAC.  I have now settled on HS-6 but want to try some other slower powders as well.

I will have to see how long I can load it. I will have to try that length out.

10 minutes ago, Laxman2809 said:

Unfortunately just purchased 8lbs of WAC. Perhaps on my next 8 I will buy CFE Pistol. How are you liking the powder? Clean? Gassy Enough?

WAC and CFE Pistol load the same.  Your next move for slower powder is HS-6.  I keep getting tempted to try a Vihtivouri powder but the price is more than I want to pay.

42 minutes ago, Laxman2809 said:

What aandabooks said. The only difference between the two is the copper fouling eraser properties of the CFE hence the name. The CFE actually needs about a grain more to achieve the same PF of WAC.