Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame Choices

af_tt

What's the frame choice you guys have made for custom builds? I'm doing a mid 9mm and have had a hard time deciding on the frame. Pricing seems to be the same on all of them. Cheely seems to have the most options weight wise with a long dust cover. Any recommendations based your past builds?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I won't name the brands I'd never use again.  I'll just same that my last two builds were on JEM Guns frames.  All the holes were in the right locations and perpendicular to the frame/receiver.  The 2011 needed absolutely no work.  The only thing I had to do to the 1911 receiver was ream out the thumb safety holes.  They were the right size, but there were tiny burrs on the insides of the hammer cut.  10 seconds of work total.  I had JEM machine fit the slides and frames/receivers.  They were perfect.  I hand burnished them to smooth everything out.  They were really tight, as in a 168PF Open load barely cleared the port with a 7 lb. recoil spring.  After seeing these two I will never, EVER fit a slide by hand again.

I had planned to use a Cheely Custom frame for my next build.  I might try a Brazos, because it also takes the Cheely e2 grip that I prefer.   The harder part is finding good slides.  There were some for a while, but the supply dried up.  I see Brazos is now machining their own slides.  Warwick also makes good slides.

So, if I wanted to fit everything myself, I'd probably go with a Brazos slide and frame.  Since fitting a slide, frame and gunsmith fit barrel by HAND is extremely time consuming, I would go with a Warwick Tactical short block.  For a touch over $1k you get a slide to frame fit with .0004" clearance, parallel, and a Barsto barrel fit, timed and linked. 

17 minutes ago, teros135 said:

And if you're using a PT Evo grip?

Then use a JEM Guns steel grip slide, which is machined specifically for an EVO, or a PT frame.  If you go JEM, make sure you specify an EVO grip frame.  It goes on with a slight tap.  The poly grip frame will not work without about 8 hours of filing according to Ed.  The poly frame fits the Cheely e2 grip perfectly.

If you're going with LSI for the grip, Glenn can do frames or a short block if you want.
I wrote Glenn to see about frames from him as well. Thanks for the heads up!

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Then use a JEM Guns steel grip slide, which is machined specifically for an EVO, or a PT frame.  If you go JEM, make sure you specify an EVO grip frame.  It goes on with a slight tap.  The poly grip frame will not work without about 8 hours of filing according to Ed.  The poly frame fits the Cheely e2 grip perfectly.

Thanks, zzt

Thanks for the input so far. LSI said no frames for a few months. So it would be wait for them, Brazos, or Cheely. I may just get in line and accumulate my other parts before the grip and frame.

7 hours ago, zzt said:

Matt won't sell any of his stash of slides.  Only frames.

You're right.  I was dumb and meant to say frame.  Matching the right grip to frame helps.  If you want PT go JEM like the other guys said.

Edited by CaliYeti
spelling