Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

strategy for loading/reloading from barrels

jmac2112

I hope this is the right forum for this, and I hope the picture I am adding is visible to everyone.  I am relatively new to USPSA, and I'm not sure how to work this stage (coming up on Sunday at the VA state match).  I'm shooting Production, and this kind of stage seems designed to mess with us locap guys.   At first glance it looks like I would want to start with one mag on each barrel, as in the picture.  However, there are five shooting positions, and only four barrel that I'm allowed to put mags on, so I'm going to have to stow at least one mag early on IF I want a fresh mag for each shooting position (which would be ideal).  IF I didn't need a single makeup shot, I could get all the way through the central position on two mags, but I'm not counting on that, especially with steel involved.  I could put two mags on the first barrel, load the gun with one and stow the other, and go from there.  I've had this crazy idea of putting all my mags on the first barrel, holstering my gun at the start signal, stowing four mags right away, then loading the gun and proceeding from there.  What do you think?  The second scenario would definitely work, but is it worth spending the time up front in order to make the rest of the stage easier/faster?  

Thanks!

John

image.thumb.png.c5d8d5000153eed8eee277bacf2ec9d5.png

Going left to right put an extra mag on the 2nd barrel.. Once you finish your array from the 2nd barrel reload with the 2nd mag and engage the targets through the port.. Vice versa going right to left 

Edited by Furrly

Going left to right put an extra mag on the 2nd barrel.. Once you finish your array from the 2nd barrel reload with the 2nd mag and engage the targets through the port.. Vice versa going right to left 
this is it right here

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It appears that the stage designer is prohibiting you from stowing a magazine, which is kinda stupid imho, but sometimes it takes stage designers a while to figure out that forcing people to do annoying stuff doesn't do anything to make the stage better.

Put two magazines on the very first barrel. You pretty much have to eat a standing load when you arrive at whatever position you go to first, but make sure to have two magazines on that barrel. 

After you finish shooting that position,  grab the second magazine off the barrel and reload as you move to the next position. Repeat until the stage is finished, always grabbing and loading as you exit.

I would also encourage you to put a few extra magazines out there. Ideally one extra mag on each barrel.  The way to make a disaster out of this stage is to knock a magazine off the barrel in your haste, and have to pick it up on the clock.

Especially if it goes forward and out of bounds… 😉 😳😳

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

It appears that the stage designer is prohibiting you from stowing a magazine, which is kinda stupid imho, but sometimes it takes stage designers a while to figure out that forcing people to do annoying stuff doesn't do anything to make the stage better.

Can you do that? I thought you could stipulate placement of them at the start but once the stage starts the shooter can do whatever they want, but I’m not finding a specific rule that clarifies this. 

Joe4d:  Good point.  I have emailed the MD.

Memphis Mechanic:  Since there are five shooting positions and only four barrels, I think I will still have to wait until I get to the fourth and fifth positions before I can load for those positions.  Correct me if I've missed something.

Stages often look different in person than on diagram so guessing on what you can see from each position and I'm guessing the mini popper is hidden behind the full size popper? 

I'd do it as Memphis said. Start on left, load when you get there and shoot 3 targets. Have second mag on that 1st barrel and grab it while exiting position so you can reload while moving to 2nd position. 3 targets from 2nd position and again grab mag while leaving there and reload while moving to middle. Take 3 paper targets and 2 steel from middle (or can also shoot 4th paper, the back right one, if go 1 for 1 on steel). While moving to front right position drop mag so ready to grab mag from that barrel when you arrive. Then have 5 targets left for last 2 positions so don't have to reload for 5th position. But put an extra mag on each barrel as Memphis said.

Stopping to stow mags always seems slower whenever I see someone try it. And here it'd only help for the 4th position, other reloads you can do while moving even with mags on barrels. 

At least that's what I'm thinking from diagram, might be different in person.

Southpaw (and Memphis): I think I've got it now.  Part of my problem is that I've been limiting myself by only considering the five mags I have that are specifically for my gun, but I also have a couple more that are compatible with it (I just don't like them as much).  That brings my total to seven, so I can put two each on the first three barrels and one on the last barrel.  That should be enough to get the job done.  I'm very glad I asked my initial question, since all of this has forced me to realize things I might not have figured out until it was too late.  Thanks again to all!

I don't know what kind of gun/mags you're using, but make sure all mags are Production legal if you're going to a major match (gun with mag fits box, weight with mag, etc.). And get some more mags, 5 isn't enough! 😜

CZ Shadow 2 with five stock mags, plus two mags for a CZ 75B.   Mags for the 75B have a thinner base plate, so no problems with going oversize there.  I will definitely be buying more mags in the near future, though!

I think they should have worded it to say "all mags and reloads must come  directly from barrel" if that's what they meant.  I'll ask someone before the match, but at this point I'm planning to put out a bunch of mags and not stow any even if it is permitted.  

Coming form a 10 round state I’d shoot it differently 

if the stage on the ground is the same as on paper, and it looks like most of the shots are fairly close

i would go right or left to the 1st barrel take 3 targets, if you’re allowed to stow a mag do it while moving to the 2nd position and take 2 targets

reload and  go to the middle port take 1 steel, 2 targets, 2nd steel, 2 targets, reload from the stowed mag or next barrel 

4th position, take 2 targets, move to the last position take 3 

depends on that second steel,,, I read it you cant stash mags, just reload from barrels 
In that case, Id grab gun run left, shoot t1,t2,t3, from first port, move clockwise to second,, shoot T 4 and t 5, grab mag and reload moving to center,,  take T6, T7, 2 steel,  T8 ( one by the H) and T9 the low close one.
Move right to 3rd port reload take  T10 and 11,, retreat to last barrel but dont reload take T12,13 and 14

On 10/4/2019 at 4:27 PM, SilverBolt said:

If all your mags start on a barrel why can't you stuff your pouches?  The mag you reload to from your belt did originate from a barrel.

Stuffing pouches is a last resort, as it adds a few static seconds to your stage time. If there’s a way to perform 100% of your loads off the barrels? Always take it.

6 hours ago, rishii said:

Coming form a 10 round state I’d shoot it differently 

...If the stage on the ground is the same as on paper... 

They’re never the same as they look on paper. If this were a scale drawing which accurately depicts which targets can be seen from which positions, your plain is viable.

But that’s never, ever the case.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

OP here.  They ended up adding a fifth barrel in the middle position, which of course made stage planning very straightforward.  There was another stage that was supposed to have a swinger and a clamshell both activated by the same popper, but they deleted the swinger., and there were some minor changes on other stages as well.   The takeaway for me is to use the matchbook to identify skills I need to work on, and not as a basis for strategizing before the match.  This whole experience, including the discussion in this thread, has been very educational, so thank you all again!

John