Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on short-ish Loading N320 with 180gr FMJ

So, for the last 6-7 months, I was exclusively shooting 9mm in limited minor out of my CZ Tactical Sport.  But recently, I found and purchased a .40 upper for it.  So, it's time to move up to the big leagues.  I've seen tons of load data using N320 and 180gr bullets, but all the load data I've seen has been for longer loads than I can use in my gun.  Typicall 1.18-1.2" is what I'm seeing.  As my chamber only like stuff up to 1.14" at longest, I have to load to that length to accommodate it.  Was wondering if anyone could share some load data using the following criteria:

180gr FMJ (Everglades, to be specific)

N320

1.14"

Mixed brass

CCI #500 SPP

Would also like to get some info on using AA2, Sport Pistol, and Ramshot Zip as the powder, with everything else staying the same.

Cheers all.  I look forward to hearing what has worked for you guys.

You should end up ~ 4.8gr.  Do some searching in the reloading section and you'll find a good starting point.  You'll want to be sure you don't get any bullet set back obviously..  assuming your going to chrono load I would start at 4.6gr and work up from there..  Not gonna chrono,  your on your own!!

When I bought my TS, friends who had them told me that if I loaded to 1.126" OAL I'd never have any problems.  They were right.  Take to N320 load you got for 1.180" and drop it my 0.5gr to start.  VV has N320 data for a 180 lead bullet at 1.126".  3.5gr starting load, 4.1 max.  You should make major at about 3.8-3.9gr with the Everglades.

On 10/5/2019 at 1:40 AM, zzt said:

When I bought my TS, friends who had them told me that if I loaded to 1.126" OAL I'd never have any problems.  They were right.  Take to N320 load you got for 1.180" and drop it my 0.5gr to start.  VV has N320 data for a 180 lead bullet at 1.126".  3.5gr starting load, 4.1 max.  You should make major at about 3.8-3.9gr with the Everglades.

Looks like the Vihtavuori N320 load for 180gr bullets is for a lead bullet. FMJ probably needs a little more.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=44

• 2 weeks later...

With my experience with a Glock 35, I would say you would be around 4.6-4.8grs at an aol of 1.135-1.145 to attain a power factor of 167-172. This is with SPORT PISTOL. (Disclaimer- your barrel may be a little faster or slower than this) :)

I have not used AA2 or Zip so no experience to share with them. 

• 2 months later...