Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Change Grip Safety or Thumb Safety to prevent slide bite?

Mike62

I started shooting my single stack STI HEX 19111 yesterday after letting it sit in the safe for two years.  I like the gun but I grip it so high that it rubs my right thumb and it eventually started bleeding.  I was doing a few searches on here and found a few people mention the Ed Brown Grip Safety or shielded thumb safeties as a solution.  If you have any experience with this issue please let me know what you did to fix the problem.  Thanks!

I started shooting my single stack STI HEX 19111 yesterday after letting it sit in the safe for two years.  I like the gun but I grip it so high that it rubs my right thumb and it eventually started bleeding.  I was doing a few searches on here and found a few people mention the Ed Brown Grip Safety or shielded thumb safeties as a solution.  If you have any experience with this issue please let me know what you did to fix the problem.  Thanks!
Atlas Gunworks makes a great pair of shield thumb safeties that will alleviate this as well as allow your left hand to get up very high

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/atlas-gunworks-high-grip-shielded-ambi-thumb-safety/

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

To echo what others have , shielded left side safety saved my hand . I ran the Swensons  profiled the way i preferred before Limcat came out with their own. Most will work but most are sold large so you can profile them to your liking .

Excellent feedback all, thanks!  I can't believe the cost of these things, was not expecting a $130 safety.  I found a couple single sided shielded safeties for less but non are in stock 😞  Oh well I guess it's a small price to pay not to bleed all over your gun.