Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 3 Gun Buckshot?

ABarrow

I've still never shot a match that required buckshot.  I've only been to one where it was optional on 10 targets, but didn't make sense for most stage plans and only a few people tried it.  My Stoeger M3K runs Remington managed-recoil 8 pellet 00 with no issues, but I've only used those on coyotes.  I haven't even tested buckshot in my open gun.

12 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Buckshot still happens in 3 gun? Why?

Spinner Plates require a heavier load, depending on distance, than light #8 shot.  Buck Shot would be good, or heavier field loads.  Though the last spinner I shot, at 20 yards, wouldn't spin with 3 dram #7 1/2 loads and several others had issues.  Might have worked if I could've gone to a tighter choke, but the COF required Slugs also and my 1100 doesn't have a Remchoke Barrel.  Now I have a VR80, love it, semi-tricked out for OPEN.  But with Slugs in the mix I'd still stay with IC choke.  

So this is one type that would benefit from Buckshot.

Seems to me that paper and long steel mandate a slug, clays and steel are birdshot targets. Distant spinners and such should be shot with whatever heavy load thats allowed, be it Prairie Storm, buckshot, turkey loads. I don't get requiring buckshot in the WSB though.

I've only been to one match requiring buckshot, and it wasn't because it was needed or a clever stage where buckshot would give you an advantage. It was just a stage designer that ran out of creativity and substituted buckshot just because he could. Half the shooters didn't have any, and the other half, like myself, have been carrying the same box around for the last 4 years wondering why its still in the range bag. 

Maybe I just don't get the buckshot thing because I'm relatively new to the sport.

Last 2 matches that I attended that "required" buckshot in the ammo count sent out didn't actually require them. 1 you were given an option to use buck on  steel knock downs at 35 yds that after going home and testing would have went down with bird and a full choke. The other had poppers set at 35 yds along with slugs on the same stage. They ended up prohibiting buck on the stage so folks loaded the heaviest bird they had or choked up, or both. Shooting slugs on a full choke is not something I prefer to do.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:58 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Buckshot still happens in 3 gun? Why?

I have shot a few matches lately where they are requiring buck on paper instead of slugs. The reasoning behind it is trying to limit the number of DQ's when shooters lose track of the candycane and slug an activator on say a swinger or clamshell. The problem is then you are removing the skill of mixing loads if you can then just buckshot all the steel and paper.

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, anything with a Flight Control wad patterns tight.  Some matches prohibit FC, so for those I use Remington 8 pellet low recoil LE buckshot.  It is almost as tight as the Federal.  And can frequently be found for around $0.70/round.

• 1 month later...

Federal low recoil LE buckshot, which is... flight control....   Pattern your gun with your chokes and see what happens.  There is a huge difference in BS patterns and choke can have a large impact.  Some BS will open up w. tight choke in a flight control wad.