Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

question about coaching (rule 8.6.1 and following)

jmac2112

Just now, StealthyBlagga said:

At an L1, assuming it’s a new shooter needing coachng, I’d approach the RO and ask in a loud voice: “Do I have your permission to tell the shooter he forgot his magazines?”  

🤣 (my reaction if I was the RO)

In light of the recent article from NROI that said telling someone  to "Take a deep breath" in between strings in Steel Challenge is a coaching procedural, I think I'd have to watch this guy crash and burn

I know you have to draw the line somewhere, but I also believe an atmosphere of good sportsmanship should be promoted. To me telling the guy he forgot his mags is just good sportsmanship.

I understand the subjective nature of trying to draw that line, but, just saying.....

32 minutes ago, egd5 said:

I know you have to draw the line somewhere, but I also believe an atmosphere of good sportsmanship should be promoted. To me telling the guy he forgot his mags is just good sportsmanship.

I understand the subjective nature of trying to draw that line, but, just saying.....

I agree if it’s a level one match and a somewhat newer shooter. But at a level II no way. Problem is not EVERYBODY feels the same way. I once started a shooter at a level II who pulled his start mag out of his pocket and loaded but had no other mags on his belt. BEEP fired 10 rounds and went to reload. After the COF I was discussing how bad I felt with the RM. He asked me why I didn’t tell the shooter he had no mags. Told that story to another RM and he said I did the right thing.🧐

Yeah, it is subjective for what is coaching.

In this case I wonder, could you have added 'iiiiffff" ready to your beginning commands? Maybe he would have picked up on it.

I'm just one who leans toward the lenient side.

not like said club was following the rules anyway,,
No such range command as "Load and make ready"  So you could have said whatever you wanted considering no official range command was ever issued to signify the start of the COF

Edited by Joe4d

On 10/3/2019 at 9:20 AM, egd5 said:

I completely agree

and IF  the RO wanted to give me a penalty , I'd take without argument , this is one of many rules that needs to be applied with a little common sense. 

So as the only individual to receive a coaching penalty at Nationals, I acknowledged that I coach when the CRO demanded to know who said 'just shoot it," I took the penalty without argument.  At the time the DROI and I had a good chuckle about it, as did some of the other CROs at Nationals.  

On 10/11/2019 at 7:02 AM, Dave Campbell said:

I completely agree

and IF  the RO wanted to give me a penalty , I'd take without argument , this is one of many rules that needs to be applied with a little common sense. 

I pretty much agree with Dave.  That said at a major match where i am the CRO I try to be very circumspect with what I will say.  I won't coach and pretty much will not allow coaching at a major.

3 minutes ago, bret said:

Is a CRO at Nationals that happens to be an RMI coaching when they said Muzzle when a shooter pointed a loaded gun at the squad?

Wow. Warnings at nationals. Nice.😎

4 minutes ago, bret said:

Is a CRO at Nationals that happens to be an RMI coaching when they said Muzzle when a shooter pointed a loaded gun at the squad?

No.

8.6.1 No assistance of any kind can be given to a competitor during a course of fire, except that any Range Officer assigned to a stage may issue safety warnings to a competitor at any time. Such warnings will not be grounds for the competitor to be awarded a reshoot.

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Wow. Warnings at nationals. Nice.😎

Happened more than once on this stage, I got tired of having guns pointed at me so I quit watching people shoot that stage.

Was an RMI acting as CRO on this stage but didn't DQ people for breaking 180.

1 minute ago, driver8M3 said:

No.

8.6.1 No assistance of any kind can be given to a competitor during a course of fire, except that any Range Officer assigned to a stage may issue safety warnings to a competitor at any time. Such warnings will not be grounds for the competitor to be awarded a reshoot.

My point was the shooters, it happened more than once had already broken 180.

If a shooter is on the 180 line but not past it, what rule have they violated and why would a CRO warn them when it is not considered unsafe to be on the 180?

11 minutes ago, bret said:

My point was the shooters, it happened more than once had already broken 180.

If a shooter is on the 180 line but not past it, what rule have they violated and why would a CRO warn them when it is not considered unsafe to be on the 180?

One example: Sometimes a shooter is fiddling with their gun because of a malfunction or something and they're close to the 180. A muzzle warning can be helpful.

10 minutes ago, driver8M3 said:

One example: Sometimes a shooter is fiddling with their gun because of a malfunction or something and they're close to the 180. A muzzle warning can be helpful.

Sure but that’s different from what Bret is talking about. Not to mention it’s nationals and regardless of the rule saying “at any time”, warnings have no place in a major match.

12 minutes ago, driver8M3 said:

In this case a safety warning was given after the 180 was broken, and it happened more than once on this stage with the CRO.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Sure but that’s different from what Bret is talking about. Not to mention it’s nationals and regardless of the rule saying “at any time”, warnings have no place in a major match.

bret asked a question. I answered it. It wasn't a comment about what he saw at nationals.