Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide cracked


Josh Biondi
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well...dont know where to start... both the guns are STI Edge 40S&W, ammo used are 170grs fmj bullets or 170grs colored copper, powder VV N320 or Nobel GM3 5.5grs for the FMJ and 5.1grs for colored copper, power factor major 174, DPM recoilreducer system with middle ring and middle/long spring (previously I used 13 lbs Wolff recoil spring and sprinco giude rod but its no matter now).
Got cracked bot the slides in the same point last saturday and the day after sunday during a match. The guns has one 43000 rounds and the second 63000.
What do you think guys? Any suggestion will be appreciate! thanks ahead 20190929_210800.thumb.jpg.830b40f99be874b440430dfe99baabcb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both cracked back to back?!? Any chance something changed with your load? I would think you’d know if it was a double charge but if they cracked back to back that’s definitely my initial thought.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MJinPA said:

Both cracked back to back?!? Any chance something changed with your load? I would think you’d know if it was a double charge but if they cracked back to back that’s definitely my initial thought.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No! obsolutely not changed in my charge. All the data are confirmed and no way for double charge.........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No! obsolutely not changed in my charge. All the data are confirmed and no way for double charge.........

That’s all I got. I’m not a machinist or trained gunsmith so definitely interested to see what one thinks about the cracks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MJinPA said:


That’s all I got. I’m not a machinist or trained gunsmith so definitely interested to see what one thinks about the cracks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I asked it to the big B_Enos forum community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I need help............

Link to comment
Share on other sites

slide cuts with small radius weakened the slide in this critical area especially  in 40 cal.

sti edge original serrations in this area   make slide weaker in this critical place. in new sti models they made this critical place stronger.

as i asked in this forum about 1911 in cal 40 service life  the answer was around 50k  and more is normal.

properly used buffer can prolong slide life .

תוצאת תמונה עבור ‪sti staccato p‬‏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I agree with @yigal slide lightening cuts may not be the sole contributor to the cracking, but they sure didn't help.

 

Poor design is what it is.  The fact that both cracked in the same spot pretty much proves the point.  Round count isn't a factor.  Plus it's a Limited gun.  There's really no excuse for them to break where they did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Josh, although I broke the advice I'm going to give you on my first 1911 45 ACP build, I'll recommend no through cuts on the slide.  Take metal off where it doesn't count and leave it full (or very close to full) where is does.  I have three slides done as shown below.  The oldest, on a 40sw 2011 has seen a boatload of rounds with absolutely no issues.  Not sayin' it won't ever crack, but I doubt it.  The one shown below is on my latest 9mm Open gun.  It already has 7,000 through it and I expect it to last for 100,000.  Same with the slide on my 1911 Open .  Obviously you cannot lighten as much on a Limited gun, but you get the idea.steel gun.

100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on the info you provided my question would be how many rounds on the DPM recoil reducer vs the Wolff sprig setup, if that changed the weight or how fast/hard the slide cycled that might be a contributor. If they both lasted for all those round until the change that is at least something to look at. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Wierd they both cracked on the same weekend though.

 

Maybe the 2nd slide couldn't live without the 1st and committed slide-a-cide.

 

Seriously though, even with a similar round count, it does seem unlikely that both would fail within days of each other...

Edited by muncie21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TRPOperator said:

Based on the info you provided my question would be how many rounds on the DPM recoil reducer vs the Wolff sprig setup, if that changed the weight or how fast/hard the slide cycled that might be a contributor. If they both lasted for all those round until the change that is at least something to look at. 

On the first gun (43000rounds) with DPM shoots around 4000rounds; the second gun (63000rounds) with DPM shoots 15000rounds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, muncie21 said:

 

Maybe the 2nd slide couldn't live without the 1st and committed slide-a-cide.

 

Seriously though, even with a similar round count, it does seem unlikely that both would fail within days of each other...

slide suicede ?🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, jpl said:

Stress risers at the corner of the cuts.  Cuts not properly de-burred and sharp edges softened.

Cut are rounded no apex corner...Im thinking that on the slide its necessary have absolutely NO HOLE and especially NO HOLE in that stress part.......🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, 427Cobra said:

Alpha Mike No Shoot(WTF).

 

Congrats on shooting two  pistols to failure, most of us will never do that, have you contacted STI on warranty replacement?

In fact, in twenty years I've shot I broken 4 frames and 3 slides ... I don't think the STI warranty service could be affected because the slides have been punctured

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, zzt said:

Josh, although I broke the advice I'm going to give you on my first 1911 45 ACP build, I'll recommend no through cuts on the slide.  Take metal off where it doesn't count and leave it full (or very close to full) where is does.  I have three slides done as shown below.  The oldest, on a 40sw 2011 has seen a boatload of rounds with absolutely no issues.  Not sayin' it won't ever crack, but I doubt it.  The one shown below is on my latest 9mm Open gun.  It already has 7,000 through it and I expect it to last for 100,000.  Same with the slide on my 1911 Open .  Obviously you cannot lighten as much on a Limited gun, but you get the idea.steel gun.

100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

Thank you for the advice. I agree with you way!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, yigal said:

slide cuts with small radius weakened the slide in this critical area especially  in 40 cal.

sti edge original serrations in this area   make slide weaker in this critical place. in new sti models they made this critical place stronger.

as i asked in this forum about 1911 in cal 40 service life  the answer was around 50k  and more is normal.

properly used buffer can prolong slide life .

תוצאת תמונה עבור ‪sti staccato p‬‏

Your opinion seems to me really right! Im on the same thoughtline

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...