Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion CO Mags

Fearless4x4

For those of you who may have tried both setups, looking for pros and cons for either.

Figure on TTI basepads for either setup, would 21 rounders or 17 rounders be better.  With the basepads both setups should be be 22 + 1.

I have the 3 17 round Legion mags that came with the gun, but I need to buy more anyway.

I personally like the 21rd mags with the smaller springer pads. I seem to reload those more consistently that a 17rd with a +5 extension. 
And btw, add a grams spring and follower and you can do 23+1. 

Edited by jpm2953

Hello: I am using the 21 round mags with TTI base pads and Grams spring/follower. I get a very reloadable 23 rounds. The TTI base pads are easy to take on and off as well with no tools. I may play around with trimming the mag spring to see if I can get 24 rounds in there and be 100% reliable. I may buy a 17 round mag and see if I can get 24 rounds with the TTI +5 base pad or another +5 base pad. Thanks, Eric

I don't like my Springer extended base pads on the 17 round tube. It's retained with a set screw and you have to file a notch for it to lock against. If I drop a partially full magazine, the base pad tends to slide forward on the tube. 

Ive also got some sig 21s and I don't see a reason to upgrade those to 23 rounders. Doubt I'll go to slide lock twice and I can't tell a difference when reloading.

Edited by DesertTortoise

I don't like my Springer extended base pads on the 17 round tube. It's retained with a set screw and you have to file a notch for it to lock against. If I drop a partially full magazine, the base pad tends to slide forward on the tube. 

Ive also got some sig 21s and I don't see a reason to upgrade those to 23 rounders. Doubt I'll go to slide lock twice and I can't tell a difference when reloading.

Springer didn’t provide instructions to notch the mag tube. I thought the set screw was designed to cam against the mag. It requires attention after shooting every stage. Did you come up with the idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springer didn’t provide instructions to notch the mag tube. I thought the set screw was designed to cam against the mag. It requires attention after shooting every stage. Did you come up with the idea?

It's on their website for the 140mm base pad

Hello: After looking at the price of Sig +5 base pads I would get 3-21 round magazines and 1 Grams spring/follower with one TTI base pad. That setup would give you one 23 round magazine and two 21 round magazines with the 17 round mags as backups or for classifiers. CDNN has the 21 round mags for $36 but I am sure if you do a search you may find some for less money. Thanks, Eric

Since I already had three 17 round mags that came with the gun I just ordered 3 Springer bases for them. Had some Grams 9mm spring kits from my open gun I put in them and easily get 23+1 reloadable. So far they have been reliable. 

Maybe measure your mags. They may be too long for carry optics. Mine were 142mm.

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: After looking at the price of Sig +5 base pads I would get 3-21 round magazines and 1 Grams spring/follower with one TTI base pad. That setup would give you one 23 round magazine and two 21 round magazines with the 17 round mags as backups or for classifiers. CDNN has the 21 round mags for $36 but I am sure if you do a search you may find some for less money. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

where do i locate the grams spring/follower?

Thanks

Since I already had three 17 round mags that came with the gun I just ordered 3 Springer bases for them. Had some Grams 9mm spring kits from my open gun I put in them and easily get 23+1 reloadable. So far they have been reliable. 

There’s a little hand filing on the mag base lip required to retain the Springer +5 pads securely. Instructions on the Springer website.

2 hours ago, Stician said:

There’s a little hand filing on the mag base lip required to retain the Springer +5 pads securely. Instructions on the Springer website.

True

Have used in several matches without issues. There were instructions provided with the bases when I purchased them.  

I have one of the Springer +5 140mm basepads on one of my 17 rd mags.  I don’t know how these are being called +5, I can barely get 20 in mine and that last round is so tight its hard to rack the slide on make ready.  I used the spring that was included with the basepad, is there something you all are doing to get 2 more rounds in there?  

I have one of the Springer +5 140mm basepads on one of my 17 rd mags.  I don’t know how these are being called +5, I can barely get 20 in mine and that last round is so tight its hard to rack the slide on make ready.  I used the spring that was included with the basepad, is there something you all are doing to get 2 more rounds in there?  

You need Grams follower

I have the regular 21 round X5 mags with Obsidian Arms +1 base pads, and they load 22 easily. I want to see if the Grams will get me to 23 when they come back.

22+1 has not been an issue, and I normally budget a reload at 18-19 rounds regardless, so I am not sure there is a big drive to change.

The OA basepads have the base plate with little stud that you depress to slide it off, rather than the set screw, and I find that easier to deal with, esp. when I am cleaning mags on the stage ( Thanks Illinois Sectional!) 

2 hours ago, dgrdvm said:

I have the regular 21 round X5 mags with Obsidian Arms +1 base pads, and they load 22 easily. I want to see if the Grams will get me to 23 when they come back.

22+1 has not been an issue, and I normally budget a reload at 18-19 rounds regardless, so I am not sure there is a big drive to change.

The OA basepads have the base plate with little stud that you depress to slide it off, rather than the set screw, and I find that easier to deal with, esp. when I am cleaning mags on the stage ( Thanks Illinois Sectional!) 

I have the TTI +2 and get the 23 in all 3 mags. Want the Grams because they have a little more wiggle room when reloading 

40 minutes ago, Rolex said:

I have the TTI +2 and get the 23 in all 3 mags. Want the Grams because they have a little more wiggle room when reloading 

I didn’t find any extra wiggle room with the Grams at all. I actually pulled it and am saving it for when it’s time to replace springs.