Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using case gauge

m700

Ive always had a case gauge for each caliber on the bench and would pull randoms for inspection but recently got a Hundo gauge and decided to start checking it all now that im starting some steel matches. also switched to progressive in April. So I went through the 4-5k rounds of 9mm I have loaded and here is my results

2 flipped primers

6 old primers

2- 380 cases

400 that wouldn't gauge.

This seems like a completely necessary task and i wish I started earlier. I also wish I had a roll sizer. The fat rounds should be fine for practice so ill just keep them seperate.

On 9/30/2019 at 8:37 AM, m700 said:

Ive always had a case gauge for each caliber on the bench and would pull randoms for inspection but recently got a Hundo gauge and decided to start checking it all now that im starting some steel matches. also switched to progressive in April. So I went through the 4-5k rounds of 9mm I have loaded and here is my results

2 flipped primers

6 old primers

2- 380 cases

400 that wouldn't gauge.

This seems like a completely necessary task and i wish I started earlier. I also wish I had a roll sizer. The fat rounds should be fine for practice so ill just keep them seperate.

I too use the Hundo and case guage all of my ammo.  400 that won't gauge out of 5k seems way high, I'd be looking for a solution to that.  I'd suspect the crimp is not fully removing the flair, or the cases are not being fully sized.  I'll maybe get 2 or 3 out of 1k that won't gauge.  

I reloaded for decades before I ever had a round that wouldn't feed in my old Browning Hi-Power.

Now that I'm shooting matches, I check all the primers as I'm loading the mag, and still don't

bother gauging rounds for local matches, only for larger matches.

Most of the rounds that do not gauge, fire the first time anyway, but I keep them separate in a

"practice only" box.

When I gauge for larger matches, I take the gun apart and use the chamber.

My guess is that a high percentage of those 400 rounds that wouldn't gauge will work perfectly,

the first time, in Your gun.    :) 

BTW, I count rounds by loading them into old cardboard boxes of 50 - I can also inspect the

primers that way.