Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection

wingnut

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have  an old Pro Ears 300 and use it a lot but have recently switched to the Pro Ears Stealth 28.  They fit my ears and I can hear my hits on Steel better.  I know, I'm not supposed to hear the hits, it makes it too slow.

I have 2 pair of the Stealths.  My first set got lost and sure enough as soon as my 2nd set showed up I found the first set hidden in the outer pocket of my shooting bag.

I do like the fact that I can recharge them using my computer.  I Keep them both charged just in case I'm shooting a 2 day match.  Charge lasts about 6 hours.

I use the Peltor 500. Way more comfortable than the Howard Leights. I have used them in the heat of summer and stayed on quite well. Still built up sweat on them, but was not as bad as my previous ear muffs have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, 2alphas said:

The Pro Ears Stealth Elite kickstarter program is in its last days and has received overwhelming response. Might want to take a look at the rechargeable Bluetooth capable ear plugs.

Only the Bluetooth lanyard is rechargeable if I’m reading it correctly. 

From the page:

Each set of Stealth Elites come with two earbuds independently powered by your standard #10 battery, a rechargeable lanyard with Bluetooth capabilities that can connect to your earbuds to play music or talk on the phone, several sizes of foam ear tips to fit with a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 28, and several sizes of silicone tips designed for staying in your ear during physical activities. 

On 10/3/2019 at 9:17 AM, kk4364 said:

3m Combat arms 4.1, they fit really good and comfortable all day. Also have a switch for all noise suppression. They are super light weight and work well indoors and outdoors. fd71f86cc0bb0a0356ffc44fe284aa78.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've been looking at those but I was concerned about how effective they'd be indoors.

I RO some friendly matches so I'm not sure how they'd be after a few hours standing next to pistol shooters...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw quite a few different models of the Walker in ear protection for sale so I decided to order one. I went with the one that is a neckband with earbuds and will report back how well they work. They have a little bit higher of a NRR rating then the ear buds.

51 minutes ago, Armedinmd said:

I can report that I was not a fan of the Walker wrap around plugs. I'm gonna give them another chance though before forming final opinion. 

Saw those for sake pretty cheap and considered them as well. What didn’t you like? I was concerned the neck piece would bounce around too much during stages. 

I should've elaborated. The first thing I noticed was that they seemed to do a horrible job cutting out properly. When people were shooting in other outdoor bays I couldn't hear very well, while wearing my earmuffs I didn't feel like I experienced that as bad. On one run I managed to snag the cord heading to the ear bud and it pulled out of my ear. The last issue was battery life. I charged it the day before, the match started at 9 by noon the battery was dead. This next match is a pistol so I will see if it does a better job there. The foam plugs did seal well and I liked the higher NRR rating. 

Peltor Tactical 500 with gunfighters gel cups. 26 db protection and very good electronics for talking plus Bluetooth. 
very comfortable. Bulkier than sordins but my ears are protected and no ringing end of day without having to double up like with sordins. Peltors  also great indoors 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 4 sets of pro ears for self, wife, son. Every year or so a band breaks and they send me a replacement no questions asked for free. I bought a pair of msa sordins recently and I can't believe what I was missing. Much better audio quality and increased comfort from sordins but at much more money.

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, 2alphas said:

The Pro Ears Stealth Elite kickstarter program is in its last days and has received overwhelming response. Might want to take a look at the rechargeable Bluetooth capable ear plugs.

Any update(s) on the Pro Ears Stealth Elite?  Looking at them.....