Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection

wingnut

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some MSA Sordins with Gel Cups, they are 8 years old and still work great, but the gel cups do go bad and need replacement about every 4 years.  I recently bought some 3m Peltor EEP-100 plugs and added Skull Screw tips, these are marketed for industrial use not shooting and with skull screw tips provide 30db noise reduction, I love these things, price is 170 for the plugs and a 10 pack of tips from Amazon. 

I also use Sordins, but double up with custom molded plugs when shooting (open).  When outside and I'm not shooting, I'm comfortable wearing either the Sordins or the molded alone.  Inside I'm doubled up regardless. 

Take this for what it’s worth but I would pass on sordins. Sure they are state of the art and very low profile but I shoot Open and RO a lot and they just don’t cut it unless you double plug. I had my kids get me a pair for Christmas last year even though I read and heard first hand from locals that they just don’t cut it. I went back to using my Peltor Tactical Pros which muffle even the loudest guns without the need for double plugging. And the electronics are just as good.

I have Sordins too because of all the fantastic reviews.  I went to them after my Pro Ears Gold.

To be honest, the Pro Ears are better for noise reduction and the electronics seem better.

The Sordins use better materials and build quality is nicer.

Take this for what it’s worth but I would pass on sordins. Sure they are state of the art and very low profile but I shoot Open and RO a lot and they just don’t cut it unless you double plug. I had my kids get me a pair for Christmas last year even though I read and heard first hand from locals that they just don’t cut it. I went back to using my Peltor Tactical Pros which muffle even the loudest guns without the need for double plugging. And the electronics are just as good.

I have the Peltor Tactical Pros also, very good and worth the money. Do get the Gel pads for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, BillR1 said:

I also have the Sordins with gel cups. They're fine outdoors while ROing or shooting, but I have a set of Tac Pros that I use indoors.

For ROing USPSA open guns and some of the 3 gun rifles the Sordins I thought were entirely inadequate. For outdoor shooting with common pistols I agree that they are fine.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

that what we used in the army.[emoji6]
20180111_124614-700x437.jpg

I’ve done it, and the results weren’t horrible. That is for when you get to the range and don’t have your ears and don’t want to drive back home because you started getting stuff setup already. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, BillR1 said:

Both sets of ProEars I tried felt like my head was in a vise. I have a pretty big melon though. 

I just got another pair and I will stay they were much tighter than my older ones.  So  they loosened up overtime or they are now a lot tighter. 

3m Combat arms 4.1, they fit really good and comfortable all day. Also have a switch for all noise suppression. They are super light weight and work well indoors and outdoors. fd71f86cc0bb0a0356ffc44fe284aa78.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TCI Liberators that are now Safariland. I had to send them back once for a battery contact issue but they repaired them in a few weeks. So 7 years of hard abuse between work and personal shooting. I got the gel cups though and it was worth the few extra dollars. 

• 2 weeks later...