Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Angle

ohsevenflhx

Is there a maximum angle that a target can be set up. I shoot at a gun range that in one stage every match,  one target is turned so steep that only PCC shooters with red dots seem to be able to hit it. It's normally set up so that you can only shoot it from one spot, and is just about impossible to hit with a hand gun with iron sights. I want to complain, but I don't know the rule on this.

Depends on target type..

2.1.8.4 Scoring static IPSC cardboard targets must not be presented at an angle greater than approximately 45 degrees from the vertical. No- shoot static IPSC cardboard targets may be presented at any angle.

For USPSA targets it is fine at any angle

It's also not very wise from a practical standpoint. The more a target is rotated away from squared up to the shooting position, the more problems it can create. If they want to make the target more difficult, it's better to have it squared up to the shooter with some hard cover added.

Do targets have to be presented to show at least 1/2 of the A zone. Wouldn't this apply to a rotated target as well. Someone with better math skills than mine should be able to figure out the angle a target can be turned untill1/2 of the A zone is presented.

3 minutes ago, ohsevenflhx said:

Do targets have to be presented to show at least 1/2 of the A zone. Wouldn't this apply to a rotated target as well. Someone with better math skills than mine should be able to figure out the angle a target can be turned untill1/2 of the A zone is presented.

I mean, at that point isn’t the whole A zone still technically visible, just effectively reduced in visible size?

1 minute ago, ohsevenflhx said:

The current rules only limit how much of a target can be covered by no-shoots or hard cover.

9 hours ago, driver8M3 said:

It's also not very wise from a practical standpoint. The more a target is rotated away from squared up to the shooting position, the more problems it can create. If they want to make the target more difficult, it's better to have it squared up to the shooter with some hard cover added.

This. A target at a severe angle becomes a pain for ROs and patchers.

At the stage I was ROing at last weekend's IPSC match, we got bullet holes about twice the bullet diameter long. That was because the walls allowed shooting those targets from two diferent directions. That is long enough bullet holes, thank you very much....