Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA primer pro collator

cvincent

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/14/2019 at 7:36 AM, 4n2t0 said:

It's the name you deserve when someone, in this case me, can't criticize a product without you going off the deep end.

Needing to hang this thing off the side of a bench, or modify your bench to secure it, wasn't a smart design decision in my opinion. It looks like others are starting to figure that out:

Maybe I'm not giving DAA a fair shake. This could all be part of a larger sales tactic (which I don't begrudge them for). Bench attachment accessory $20, large primer conversion kit $50, press integration system $100. If so, then I can at least wrap my head around the initial design.

When someone criticizes without having experience with a product you come off as a whiner, I'm not going off the deep end, I'm pointing out the stupidity of your comments.

But, as I've sat and had dinner with Saul and Eli in Serbia at the Euros and talked about this machine let's discuss some of your complaints, based on what I can remember from our talk about the device, first off, not being able to mount it to a press, liability plain and simple is the single number one reason for this, directly feeding into presses is a straight up no go due to how common it is for primer stacks to ignite on both the 650 and the 1050. Secondly is the fact that this machine is designed to fill tubes that a lot of different machines take, from DIllon to Hornady to Mk7 and so on. Maybe one day someone else can make an adapter and share the file online so people can print it themselves, but I doubt you'll see DAA do it. 

Hanging it off the bench, simple, to reduce the overall size and bulk of the machine and reduce the cost of manufacture. It is very stable hanging off of a bench, with about 95% of the mas sitting on the bench, but if you don't want to, you can easily put it on top of a box, simulating the height you seem to want. Incredibly easy to do, I bet the shipping box would be good enough for this, although you might need to add a bit more height for the tube to clear. If your bench doesn't have an overhang to allow the machine to fit, then yes, you'll have to come up with a solution, but again, based on imagery on here and other sites, that's uncommon. Most benches do have room, at least if they have presses mounted to them. 

No large primer, that also is really simple economics. In Europe especially small primers are incredibly more popular than large primer. Probably on the order of 4 or 5 to 1. If the demand is there to produce a large primer one, they will make one, but it will most likely be a completely separate unit. This was thought about long and hard, and it was again more economical to go with a small primer dedicated machine first than to build a machine that can do both when they aren't even sure if there will be sufficient orders to justify doing so. They wanted to bring this machine to the market at a good price point, which they've done. 

12 minutes ago, slavex said:

When someone criticizes without having experience with a product you come off as a whiner, I'm not going off the deep end, I'm pointing out the stupidity of your comments.

lol, sure.

Edited by 4n2t0

This device is a revolutionary invention, and from the videos very quick to fill the tube.
There was nothing valid so far, if the vibrating system for the M7 Revolution, but considering the price several thousand dollars, reserved for an elite and have an M7 press.
A Dillon RF 100 at double the price.
I think this priming feeder will be a big commercial success.

Interestingly, that's a whole lot more information about how the device works, and how to adjust it, than certain other mfrs have given us.  I think the issue isn't that they've provided us with this handy troubleshooting guide but whether the machine isnreliabe and does its job, right from the factory.  With this guide, we can keep it that way.

5 minutes ago, cvincent said:

True. Let’s say it works as good as an RF100. Which is arguably, not very good. At least it would be approximately 54% of the cost of an Rf100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope... rf100 can do 2 sizes

Saul is just being proactive on this one, It's a mechanical device, some will fail, either just because of tolerance stacking issues, or from people messing with them. As well, over time everything wears, this is just showing you how to deal with possible issues due to wear and tear. Nothing lasts forever, even Dillon parts wear out and break right? I don't see this as "hey this thing is going to show up broken" BUT, I am a massive fanboy apparently and willing to dismiss any and all problems with anything......

I have the RF100 and after some minor adjustments, it works really well. Reloading 20k to 25k of rounds a year, I can deal with about 100 upside down primers. And understands Dillon customer service is second to none. 

Meanwhile, DAA has good products but they are cheaper and they are a bit flimsy sometimes. I have experience with the brass marker and that gave me a TON of problems. I had to try a bunch of different markers, cutting tips, etc. Sometimes the unit would simply stop working. Whenever I contact Saul about it, I get suggestions like in the video above but rarely do I get the "send it in and we will take care of it for you" like I get with Dillon. 

While I am happy with my RF100, I am curious when someone can provide an honest review and share their experience. I suspect that the people that are happy with it will not comment much and the people that have problems will louder and more often. 

When I had trouble with the Brass Marker's motor,  DAA had me send it in, and they replaced the motor and got it back to me quickly.   No problems since.

BTW, the Sharpie Brush Tip markers work well.   I weight them with a lock nut from Lowes.  Any marker works better when the brass doesn't have lube on it, but these do okay even with light lube (I use Brass Juice or One Shot). 

My RF100 can be fussy to adjust (esp for Win primers), but it runs fine for the most part.  I'd try a DAA primer filter if I didn't have the RF. 

1 hour ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

While I am happy with my RF100, I am curious when someone can provide an honest review and share their experience. I suspect that the people that are happy with it will not comment much and the people that have problems will louder and more often. 

This.  Happy DAA primer filler owners, please chime in!

11 hours ago, cvincent said:

Noone cares about large primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because you don't, others, including myself, do!

I have an RF100 and while I have the most problems with Winchester SP primers, so I don't buy them,  I like the machine.  FWIW CCI SP primers are the most reliable.

26 minutes ago, simonmo said:

So my DAA Primera pro collator arrived thursday.

Sadly I am not at home this weekend.

Gonna test it in monday :)

we are waiting on you with our card info on the screen ready to by . Lol 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the interest and excitement for this product. We have been crazy busy here getting these ready and shipping. The first 500 units have shipped out, and many have emailed us their positive reactions.

There has been some negative feedback too though, which I want to get out in front of: The most common issue has been that primers are sliding slowly down the exit ramp. This is due to lube that remains from production on some types of primers, which makes them a little tacky…. This creates a function issue with the light sensor as well as the function of the exit hole. Primers, being very lightweight, require very little to  make them stick…

The solution – is to use a little cockpit spray (the kind of spray used to clean the inside plastic dashboard of your car) applied with a small swab (like an earbud) onto the exit ramp. This totally resolves this issue, and can be reapplied as needed.

One other issue reported relates to some brands of primers which seem to be much  shorter than the ones we tested, measuring as low as 2.90mm… (our tested primers all were in the range of 3.03-3.12mm). with those short primers, some upside-down primers seem to get through. We are testing and working on a solution for this now.

Happy reloading everyone, and bests wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Saul Kirsch, DAA.

On 12/22/2019 at 9:50 AM, simonmo said:

So my DAA Primera pro collator arrived thursday.

Sadly I am not at home this weekend.

Gonna test it in monday :)

When did you order yours? I preordered and paid Dec 6th. Status still shows backordered. 

Never mind, I got clarification from DAA North America.  First preordered batch hasn't been shipped. 

Edited by Stymie12000