Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA primer pro collator


Recommended Posts

On 4/10/2020 at 7:43 PM, Rich406 said:

I recently started using a batch of ammo I made several months ago, using Winchester primers, and silicon spray to lube them. So far I’ve had 25-30 dead primers. Could it be the silicon spray? Maybe? I’ve never had this scale of bad primers before. I’ve shot ammo that used silicon on the primers with no issues before, so I dunno. 

instead of silicone try using baby powder

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the PAL filler has been mentioned several times on this thread.  I know they went out of production several years back but someone said they were going back into production.  does anyone know where or how to access the new ones or if they are back into production yet?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ocrrhbow said:

the PAL filler has been mentioned several times on this thread.  I know they went out of production several years back but someone said they were going back into production.  does anyone know where or how to access the new ones or if they are back into production yet?

 

He is in the post right above yours. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought maybe this may be of interest to some of you that enjoy doing your own thing. I am one of those who had no luck with the Primer Pro. More trouble than it was worth! I tried all of the fixes and none of them worked well enough to keep it around. SO! The JD primer feed system. Total cost about $15.00 As fast as the Primer Pro and for ME much more reliable. I sometimes have 1 or 2 primers out of a 1000 upside down. I normally load 8 tubes at a time and it takes about 15 minutes or less.

It is made up of a RCBS primer flipper/Feeder and a little battery powered fan with the blades removed and a couple of spent primers in the fan hub to make it vibrate. WORKS GREAT!!

 

 

Edited by JDIllon
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to add an update to my disappointment with the Primer Pro.   Since day 1, it has hated my preferred S&B primers.  It either wouldnt feed them through the plate, or they would come out upside down.   I changed plates to no avail.  

 

Fast forward to this week as I have been loading self defense ammo to stack deep, and I use a different primer for those; the CCI small pistol magnum.   These go through the Primer Pro like butter.  Zero upside down primers, and it is FAST.  400 primers filled into 4 tubes in like 2 minutes. I haven't even cleaned the machine since the last time I tried the S&B primers in it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m working with the primer pro with V2 plate and Winchester small pistol primers. Spent probably 45 minutes fiddling with it. Broke out the pledge and sprayed it down. So far it’s working well. Slowish, but beats hunt and peck for me. Needs to have 200 primers or more in it for sure. 
 

I’ll be trying some CCI later. If I need to switch, I will. 
 

I do want to try a PAL for smaller loading sessions and as an option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Riley said:

I’m working with the primer pro with V2 plate and Winchester small pistol primers. Spent probably 45 minutes fiddling with it. Broke out the pledge and sprayed it down. So far it’s working well. Slowish, but beats hunt and peck for me. Needs to have 200 primers or more in it for sure. 
 

I’ll be trying some CCI later. If I need to switch, I will. 
 

I do want to try a PAL for smaller loading sessions and as an option. 

 

I was actually getting upside down CCI primers with the original plate after loading about 5000 rounds. Switched to the updated plate, and knock on wood, I have not had any upside down CCI Primers with the updated plate.  Just like any piece of equipment you do have to maintain it. I do a quick wipe down and take some pledge and spray it into a rag and perform a wipe down with the pledge. Make sure you let it dry before loading primers back into the Primer Pro. I perform these steps after every five to six thousand rounds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Have read all the comments and found them inconclusive - some have great luck with the Primer Pro, others not so much.  But, hating to load up 12 primer tubes at a time and also being the eternal optimist, I plunked down the credit card and ordered one yesterday evening.  Sure hope I don't have to rely on all the excellent advice given in this thread, but damn glad to know where to look if I have problems!!  Thanks everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 7:11 PM, JDIllon said:

I thought maybe this may be of interest to some of you that enjoy doing your own thing. I am one of those who had no luck with the Primer Pro. More trouble than it was worth! I tried all of the fixes and none of them worked well enough to keep it around. SO! The JD primer feed system. Total cost about $15.00 As fast as the Primer Pro and for ME much more reliable. I sometimes have 1 or 2 primers out of a 1000 upside down. I normally load 8 tubes at a time and it takes about 15 minutes or less.

It is made up of a RCBS primer flipper/Feeder and a little battery powered fan with the blades removed and a couple of spent primers in the fan hub to make it vibrate. WORKS GREAT!!

 

 

 

 

It takes me about a minute a tube doing it manually.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 3:14 PM, chevrofreak said:

I have to add an update to my disappointment with the Primer Pro.   Since day 1, it has hated my preferred S&B primers.  It either wouldnt feed them through the plate, or they would come out upside down.   I changed plates to no avail.  

 

Fast forward to this week as I have been loading self defense ammo to stack deep, and I use a different primer for those; the CCI small pistol magnum.   These go through the Primer Pro like butter.  Zero upside down primers, and it is FAST.  400 primers filled into 4 tubes in like 2 minutes. I haven't even cleaned the machine since the last time I tried the S&B primers in it. 

Tried some Federal primers this time; GM200M small pistol match.  They go through it like butter as well.  Not quite as fast as the CCI, but 90% as fast. 

 

It choked pretty bad on the S&B, Fiocchi and Winchester primers. 

 

I guess the lesson here is to only use Federal or CCI primers and stop being such a cheap bastard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Tried some Federal primers this time; GM200M small pistol match.  They go through it like butter as well.  Not quite as fast as the CCI, but 90% as fast. 

 

It choked pretty bad on the S&B, Fiocchi and Winchester primers

 

I guess the lesson here is to only use Federal or CCI primers and stop being such a cheap bastard. 

 

hmmm, good to know, thanks.

 

seeing as how I'm currently using S&B and when those run out I've got Fiocchi waiting in the wings... I guess I won't be picking one up... lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ddc said:

 

hmmm, good to know, thanks.

 

seeing as how I'm currently using S&B and when those run out I've got Fiocchi waiting in the wings... I guess I won't be picking one up... lol

I am pretty disappointed myself as I have 50k S&B SPP and SRP sitting here and 12k Fiocchi SPP.   The good news is that my Frankford Arsenal VibraPrime couldn't care less what I feed it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ExStreetWalker said:

 

 

It takes me about a minute a tube doing it manually.  

Yeah, I know.  I'm about a minute plus or minus per tube too.  But, for whatever reason I just hate hunting and pecking for primers - seems like there's got to be a better way so I'm trying Primer Pro.  I'm loading Ginex primers right now, I but 20K at a time of whatever's on sale.  Really hoping the Primer Pro will work for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, mvmojo said:

Yeah, I know.  I'm about a minute plus or minus per tube too.  But, for whatever reason I just hate hunting and pecking for primers - seems like there's got to be a better way so I'm trying Primer Pro.  I'm loading Ginex primers right now, I but 20K at a time of whatever's on sale.  Really hoping the Primer Pro will work for me.

 

Slavex loads Ginex and he had a few problems but I think Pledge solved most of them.

 

Search this topic for Ginex and you'll see all his posts on the subject.

Edited by 4n2t0
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, thanks for the info.  Looks like the Primer Pro will be delivered Friday.  Will give update on how it works.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as an update.

 

Been using the PP for awhile now. Initially I had a lot of problems with  Winchester primer. I’ve found that the more I’ve used it, the more it’s broken in and I can go substantially longer now between cleanings. At the beginning I would have to clean and lube everything every 2-3k rounds. Now I can go 10k between lubes if I give it a quick wipe down every 3-4K. 1 upside down primer in 50k rounds. Works well enough for me..

Link to post
Share on other sites

ever since I used Pledge I've had zero issues with any of the primers I use, Ginex, Winchester, S&B, Federal, CCI and so on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 6:13 PM, 4n2t0 said:

So for $200 we get a plastic primer collator with a thoughtless edge of table design, which only handles SPP,  needs ramp lubing, ramp scoring, two disk versions, cleaning after every 1500ish primers, post-it note shims and I still get the occasional upside down primer? Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, Slavex owns the only perfectly functioning unit 🙄, lol.

 

I made it 15 pages deep and this is spot-on; however, a few more pages of problems and you can add zip-ties (cleaning out stuck primers), carnuba car wax, a shoe-box and some "primer lube" to your list. :)

 

I've seen enough.  Thanks, guys. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my Primer Pro a couple days ago.  I'm using Ginex primers.  Out of the box it was very slow sending primers down the chute and I learned that if no primer passes the LED eye after 25 seconds the unit shuts down and flashes the trouble light.  Manual said if it's slow to slightly loosen the screws in the base of the primer bowl.  So I did.  Took a couple tries to get the tension just right, but now it seems to work as advertised.  Very cool watching those little suckers come down the ramp and into the tube.  Not to speak too soon since I've only loaded about 1,000 primers so far, but it looks like my hunt and peck days may be over!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...