Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA primer pro collator

cvincent

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

The issue is the angle.  The collator appears to be at a 45 degree angle, and so is the tube it is filling. 

Surely someone will come up with a tube that has a graceful curve from 45 to vertical, so that we can mount this thing atop the press.

The issue then is losing your visual indicator AND the buzzer when primers run low. I’d want some sort of witness hole to show me how many are in the stack - which isn’t feasible due to danger in the event of a detonation in the tube!

I think a replacement tube all together would be the way to go to shorten the stack of primers and get the collator down to a more accessible height.   Maybe they can develop something that is built specifically for this purpose?

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Surely someone will come up with a tube that has a graceful curve from 45 to vertical, so that we can mount this thing atop the press.

The issue then is losing your visual indicator AND the buzzer when primers run low. I’d want some sort of witness hole to show me how many are in the stack - which isn’t feasible due to danger in the event of a detonation in the tube!

Should be able to rig up a simple round counter of some type

I’m just happy if this fills primer tubes without any issues. I’m fine to feed my press a tube at a time. 

If nothing else, when a primer issue appears it’s easier to fix when I know there aren’t more than 100 in there at any one time. 

3 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

Nice idea. Takes me less than 2 minutes to load a tube with my PAL filler. I love a good gadget but think I'll just save the money for a new gun. 

Yeah, PAL filler is the gold standard in my opinion. But I still would like to see an on press collator that didn’t cost half as much as a small car when all is said and done.

I’m very frustrated with my priming of small pistol primers!

FA vibra prime = gets it done 100% no flipped primers but still needs 2 hands fiddling around until all 100 primers get in. Then I have to transfer it to 8 tubes before starting my  reloading session.

dillon RF100 = faster than the vibra prime and finally after months tinkering I got it to work with small pistol primers 99%!  but, I still have to deal with upside down primers about 8/1000! Can’t take my eyes off of it! I have to baby sit coz it jams and it needs a little tap here and there to continue to fill the tube. When full just dump and load 100 primers while reloading. No need for extra tubes.

I’m hoping this new DAA primer pro works without you watching it and that will be a winner!

Edited by Gviz

On 9/27/2019 at 12:01 PM, Sarge said:

Like I said on FB, make it so it mounts to the primer magazine and I would pay any price. Then it would be a true wonder!

There is a lot of concern of exploding the whole stack if you have a tube to feed the primers from this machine.

Press mounted would be way cool. But I’ll be just as happy if I have 100 right side up primers in a tube ready to go everytime, no fiddling, tweaking, watching, tapping, Jam clearing BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Laxman2809 said:

There is a lot of concern of exploding the whole stack if you have a tube to feed the primers from this machine.

Should be able to drop into the magazine. There’s a hundred in there all the time anyway.

43 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Should be able to drop into the magazine. There’s a hundred in there all the time anyway.

I agree, I just think its a valid point and possible roadblock that should be accounted for and engineered around. As long as the piece allows for the blast to be directed upwards it should be ok.

• 1 month later...

I just saw on you tube that Double Alpha has come up with a primer tube filler for the Dillon primer tubes. It looks interesting. $200 bucks though and not shipping till Christmas. I really don’t mind filling the tubes but I wasn’t going to use the Dillon primer station. Just a heads up. Enjoy. 

I have the Frankford. If you dont want to spend a lot this is a great alternative.  If you were to get it take a razor and clean up casting excess near where tray empties into tubes. Also throw out or sell the tubes that come with it. Take your dillon tubes and hold them in the right position and it works great. I have 5 tubes in each size, so I sit down load 1 and dump it into the machine, then load all 5 and have them ready. I can load 6 tubes in a little over 2 minutes with 0 flips. The Dillon depending on how well tuned seams to have a lot of flips. People like the PAL but that is expensive too. The DAA looks to be a great design if you like the idea of dumping a box in and going back to loading.