Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gsteve, matt distributor, help diagnose my revo mental illness (with pictures)

ysrracer

A little background, I'm a 61 year old geezer that's had cataract surgery in both eyes. I started shooting USPSA in the late 80s /early 90s (SA P9) in Phoenix. I shot Rio and Cactus. (I even knew Dan "it's a double" Nigro).

I attained the rank of Grand C Class  :)But really haven't shot much pistol in the last 25 years.

At the beginning of this year my buddies in Phoenix convinced me to buy a S&W 627 PC, and get it race gunner-ized.

The Arizona Revolver Championship at Phoenix Rod and Gun Club is in a few weeks, so I thought now would be a good time to practice.

I set-up four tombstone targets at a measured 15 yards, and went at it. I even bought a timer to practice with.

I would draw, put two on the first target, two on the second target, two on the third target, and two on the fourth target.

I can't really double tap a revo at 15 yards, but I'm going as quickly as I can.

My problem is the first target looks like ****, the second target looks a little better, the third target looks even better, and the fourth target brings home the gold.

All the same speed, all the same sight picture.

Thoughts?

Target 1

IMG_20190924_140504076.jpg

Hello! Welcome back to the world of revo!

I doubt you are going to find the golden answer here. If they really were all the same splits, with the same sight picture, and same trigger pull ,they would all look like target 4.

You're either not squeezing the gun hard enough, jerking the trigger, not letting the sights come to a rest before pulling off the next shot, etc. Only time and lots of practice will tighten those groups up.

Best of luck !

-AM

You are probably looking more at the target than the sights to start with, then getting more on the sights as you go along. Start with a hard focus on the sights, forget about seeing the hits, and just run the trigger. After 8 shots, THEN look to see how you did. Takes practice to see those sights for every shot. You might want to dry fire that way for a while, then live fire.

It is an ICORE match right, you must focus on getting all of the shots in the A Zone.  You are probably rushing the shots on the 1st target due to the draw and gradually settle down.  Forget about time, in ICORE NEVER double tap, instead shoot for the X Ring.  Remember that the difference between an A and a C is 2 seconds, how much time does it take you to guarantee an A vs a C?  I'd hazzard less than a second.

Your targets don't look that bad if you haven't been seriously shooting for many years.

Enjoy the match, wish I could be there!

52 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

It is an ICORE match right, you must focus on getting all of the shots in the A Zone.  You are probably rushing the shots on the 1st target due to the draw and gradually settle down.  Forget about time, in ICORE NEVER double tap, instead shoot for the X Ring.  Remember that the difference between an A and a C is 2 seconds, how much time does it take you to guarantee an A vs a C?  I'd hazzard less than a second.

Your targets don't look that bad if you haven't been seriously shooting for many years.

Enjoy the match, wish I could be there!

I don't entirely disagree with the concept, but for most shooters there is a big enough difference between all A's pace and shoot mostly A's pace that the speed outweighs the penalties. 

you need to shoot a a pace where you are very likely to hit mostly A's not guarantee A's yes your going to eat some B's and a C here and there but going guaranteed A pace is not the solution 

I don't entirely disagree with the concept, but for most shooters there is a big enough difference between all A's pace and shoot mostly A's pace that the speed outweighs the penalties. 
you need to shoot a a pace where you are very likely to hit mostly A's not guarantee A's yes your going to eat some B's and a C here and there but going guaranteed A pace is not the solution 
I agree with Mike. I will add that you do not need a front sight focus for all shots.

You need different sight pictures at different distances. I will admit that in ICORE the point at which you need to switch over to a better sight picture does happen a little bit closer than it does shooting USPSA.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:33 AM, alecmc said:

I doubt you are going to find the golden answer here.

Totally true.

If I may throw out one more personal anecdote from dry fire, though - I'm finding that my first two shots are less accurate because my finger hasn't settled onto the trigger in the same position it winds up in for shots 3-8 (which tend to be more accurate). I'm trying to correct this by just working the last steps of my draw, focusing on pushing the gun forward and sliding my trigger finger into place.

On 9/26/2019 at 10:33 AM, alecmc said:

I doubt you are going to find the golden answer here.

Wait a second, you mean I can't go from a C Class shooter (that stopped shooting 25 years ago), to a state champion at the Arizona State Revolver Championship in the next two weeks?

That stinks.

:)

15 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Wait a second, you mean I can't go from a C Class shooter (that stopped shooting 25 years ago), to a state champion at the Arizona State Revolver Championship in the next two weeks?

That stinks.

:)

Have faith brother, anything is possible.  Enjoy the ride!

8 hours ago, alecmc said:

Does Phoenix not have any In n' Outs? 

I live in Southern California, the home of In n Out. Chuck Box/Original Hamburger Works is better.

Ray's Pizza and Wings on 34th and Union Hills is usually my first stop when I get into town.

Chompies for breakfast? Oy vay it's like my bubby used to make me when I was a little pissher.

• 4 weeks later...