Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frostproof / LoCap Nats Tips?

matteekay

Shannon puts on a hell of a match.  Frostproof is in the middle of nowhere.  It's probably a good 35-40 minute drive from the hotels to the match. So plan accordingly.  Most of the bays run parallel to each other from east to west.  Depending on the time of the year, some of the bays can be a bit of pain from the glare of the rising sun.

To answer your question better, what are your specific concerns or where do you feel you lack information? I've been there probably 12 times, so be more specific about what you're worried about and I'll answer best I can.

There's a 50/50 chance you'll shoot the first stage or two in the morning facing directly into the sun as it crests the top of the berm.

If that affects your eyewear choices, best to sort that out now either with a spare set of lenses or a different pair of glasses all together. 

Lake Wales is only about 20-25 minutes away, and it's a smooth drive. Been awhile since I was there, but the Green Gables Motel is right next to a great restaurant, and there's also a IHOP just down the road. Another option is Sebring (to the South) it's little further than Lake Wales, with plenty of motels & restaurants. There is also a bed & breakfast in Frostproof itself IIRC, never stayed there. Another option is River Ranch... about 15 minutes away to the east. It's not that far out in the boonies.... but you will do a fair amount of walking on the range.

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

To answer your question better, what are your specific concerns or where do you feel you lack information? I've been there probably 12 times, so be more specific about what you're worried about and I'll answer best I can.

Actually, no specific concerns. Before shooting IRC out in Mesquite I was warned of the winds and the dust and I didn't know if Frostproof had any issues like that. Even hearing that it's the middle of nowhere is helpful - I'll stock up on supplies before driving in. Lucky me, I'm staying up near Orlando because kids + Florida = Disney. It's gonna be a haul.

3 hours ago, kk4364 said:

Be prepared for hot and humid! Also bring extra socks and shoes , they may get wet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hot and humid? In Florida?! Surely you jest. :D

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

There's a 50/50 chance you'll shoot the first stage or two in the morning facing directly into the sun as it crests the top of the berm.

If that affects your eyewear choices, best to sort that out now either with a spare set of lenses or a different pair of glasses all together. 

Ah, bummer. We had that at the IDPA state championship this year and it was really weird - I expected to see my hits shining through the targets ("The Quick and the Dead"-style) but instead it was just blinding, lol.

Frostproof usually has some stages that are very difficult to scope out - I spend a half hour

one day (before the match) walking up and down the COF and couldn't figure out a good

way to shoot it.  They used to go for memory courses (I haven't shot there in a few years,

now, so it might have changed).

towing a wagon sucks do to the crushed coral road between the bays.

plenty of porta pottys and one real bathroom

there isn't a safety area in every bay

you will be blinded by rising or setting sun at least one of your runs

your coated bullet load may not smoke at home but it will be super smokey there

parking is on grass mostly and a short jog away if you need it

do not eat their catered lunch.

the match supplied water is the cheapest thing possible and ambient temperature

if you eat at manny's chop house you'll see many of the people from the match. i like the fish place down the street

if the nature's own OJ factory has a tour going it is mildly interesting

the surface is a mix of grass and sand. very little gravel.

the walls are see through

the shoot house is always very dim inside

have fun shooting at things that have hardcover steel in front of them and behind them. if you call hits off sound you're screwed

almost always an accuracy match over a hose match.

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

Those are all super helpful!

This one is somewhat perplexing/alarming:

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I just don't like cheap, diner or buffet style food. Lowest common denominator bbq or whatever is not for me. I'd rather suffer for a bit and drive an hour back to something better.

These tips are all surprisingly accurate!!

Though I think the range food is decent.....for range food. Except that one time the burger meat wasn't cooked. lol

As far as hauling ammo, you can ship to the range.

Universal Shooting Academy

Your Name / LoCap Nats

4330 Hwy 630 E

Frostproof, FL 33843

I try to keep up with social media, I have fallen off Enos. Will try to get more active here again. But we have a metric S ton of matches and I do my best to keep information flow going. Follow Universal on FB and you can always hit me direct with questions. SmittyFL@Gmail.com

• 1 month later...